School Me On Radiation

lindsay

I saw statistics last year showing the worst place to get a CT is around the abdomen. IIR, theres an exponential chance of getting cancer if done there because of the extra soft tissue mass. The head had a much smaller chance.

I guess I'm screwed then. Darn appendicitis. But it's really hard to refuse a CT when you have had a 103 F fever for three days and your near death.

That being said, I think Iodine is suppose to be protective against radiation. Right after the Chernobyl disaster, they were giving everyone in Pripyat iodine (not that it helped). But I wrote to RP awhile ago to ask him about iodine supplementation because I was having positive results supplementing iodine and he said, "Large doses of iodine can be safe when used for a short time therapeutically, but one milligram or more per day, for a long period of time, is likely to harm the thyroid gland."

sladerunner69

Why is everyone on here so terrified of xrays? Dr Peat hasnt even written a full article on the subject. And those of you positing that xrays are far more dangerous than an equal lvl of cosmic radiation understand that the the two types are in the same wavelength and have the same effect??

NathanK

@Lindsey yeah, hey, what do you care in an emergency? Im not about to complain

TBH, I'd think an mri would be more appropriate for appendicitis. im not really sure why ultrasounds arent enough altogether. It either needs to come out or it doesnt.

Yep. Theres no real advantage of CT over MRI: Medscape: Medscape Access

Ive heard iodine is common and Ray has mentioned red light to treat post.

Sladerunner69: i think its more about cumulative. Ray has talked about radiation more than once in interviews

Why is everyone on here so terrified of xrays? Dr Peat hasnt even written a full article on the subject. And those of you positing that xrays are far more dangerous than an equal lvl of cosmic radiation understand that the the two types are in the same wavelength and have the same effect??
Actually, Ray did write article on radiation. It's on his website, it's a good one. I think the harmful thing about x-rays is likely that it is a huge dose, a massive shock to your cells that happens all at once and triggers biomolecular chaos... rather than something that happens at low levels chronically with which the body can keep up with in terms of DNA repair and so forth.

sladerunner69

Actually, Ray did write article on radiation. It's on his website, it's a good one. I think the harmful thing about x-rays is likely that it is a huge dose, a massive shock to your cells that happens all at once and triggers biomolecular chaos... rather than something that happens at low levels chronically with which the body can keep up with in terms of DNA repair and so forth.

So then how damaging is getting 6 or 7 x ray images done on your torso? There have been plenty of studies on xray and none so far have conclusively linked xrays to cancer. I think in one study, people who got xrays throughout their life had a 1% increase in fatal cancers. I think low eposure radiation isnt a problem because the DNA can be repaired and replaced and xrays also occur naturally. Only aftr a particular threshold say x>= 0.5'8 all variables equal then so forth.

Rafe

On vacations: note that in US you may no longer opt out of airport scans. And if you are flying you'll want a bag full of cyproheptadine and a large cup of coffee.
My view is that x-Ray damage is permanent the way any stress effects are permanent, it won't be like it never happened. But bodies are resilient given enough support and time. Sometimes you need to avail yourself of nuclear diagnostics. RP gives us suggestions for good ways to mitigate. It's hopeful in a threatening world. Women have to figure out the cost/benefits of mammograms and dexa scans. (Maybe I should write a poem about it.)

biggirlkisss

The problem with ultrasounds is it not high enough resolution and i be concerned with it getting close to the ear. The equipment for dental xrays is thousands of dollars its crazy. This technology is insanely old and if there wasn't money moviatting it. I assume they could replaced it with something safer say something in the emf range. Mris exist so why not have mris for your teeth or bones?

The problem with ultrasounds is it not high enough resolution and i be concerned with it getting close to the ear. The equipment for dental xrays is thousands of dollars its crazy. This technology is insanely old and if there wasn't money moviatting it. I assume they could replaced it with something safer say something in the emf range. Mris exist so why not have mris for your teeth or bones?

Lol at not realizing cancer is a lucrative industry

Just lol

biggirlkisss

will dentists dont make money causing you cancer so. They make money from xraying you from insurance companies so.

TreasureVibe

What do you do to reverse the effects of radiation on the body after you've had a CT and x-ray etc?

biggirlkisss

near infared light as intense as possible orange to deep red. Sunlight though car frontshield windows or 1500 watt incandescent light. Or soild red led lights. at max hour after a.s.a.p is best.

milk_lover

I'd like to know this too. Is there anything that can be done, specifically, to reverse the damage of ionizing radiation?
An x-ray for broken hand or foot gives about 1 microsievert, which may equal smoking one pack of cigarettes (20 pieces). If you work next to a well sealed baggage x-ray machine, you get around 1 microsievert per hour near the entry and exit of the machine. The dose can get higher if you work on the monitor screen if it is located near the body of the machine.

Dental x-ray where it's close to your thyroid gland gives about 5 microsiverts.

Chest X-ray is about 100 microsieverts, which is close to what you get per hour if you stand directly looking down at a 1 MW thermal nuclear research reactor in a 10-meter-deep water pool (think of a university reactor). Every 7 cm depth of water reduces the radiation by half so you can imagine how much radiation this tiny core produces. This reactor is very very tiny compared to a commercial nuclear power plant that produces typically in the region of 4,000 MW thermal power.

Female boob x-ray is about 400 microsieverts. The average amount of cosmic/solar radiation you get for an entire year is close to 400 microsieverts. I think the boob x-ray machine is a top contributor to women breast cancer, which is ironic.

The public can be exposed up to 1,000 microsieverts per year if they live nearby a commercial nuclear power plant, so technically living near a nuclear power is similar to taking dental x-ray every other day until you move away. 5G, your wifi router, and a cellphone tower will be the least of your problems.

CT scan is the real deal. CT scan for the head gives about 2,000 microsieverts. CT scan for the spine is about 6,000 microsieverts. CT for the chest is about 7,000 microsieverts. CT scans for the heart, abdomen, and pelvis are in the region of 15,000 microsieverts.

Ray Peat travels to Mexico from Oregon so he avoids dental x-rays (~5 microsieverts) , which tells you a lot about what Peat thinks of so called low-dose radiation.

Peat thinks radiation induces a lot of estrogen and stress in the cells. It also can liberate free fatty acid in the blood. So anything that opposes estrogen, cortisol, and PUFA should be protective (increasing metabolism should help all these three). Things like K2, E, taurine, niacinamide, aspirin, caffeine, thyroid, red light, CO2, cypro, little DHEA, prog/preg, B6, gelatin, and many more can help.

biggirlkisss

health of individual is factor for how bad it is. Red light reduces radiation damage maybe by lowing nitric oxide.