Schizophrenia / Psychosis Linked To Traumatic Experience And Stress

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have suspected this for a long time, but the official version to this day is that schizophrenia is primarily a gene-driven disease linked to a "misbehaving" cluster of about 300 genes. The fact that most of these genes are related to serotonin metabolism is considered, of course, irrelevant to the pathology even in light of common medical knowledge that traumatic events elevate brain serotonin.

Risk of schizophrenia and other psychoses three times higher in refugees

"...The study, published in the BMJ, supports the theory that schizophrenia and other psychoses are influenced by life experiences. In the study, refugees were also 66% more likely to be diagnosed with such disorders than other migrants from the same regions. This suggests that the specific experiences of refugees, including traumatic events such as persecution, conflict or natural disasters, may contribute to risk of developing these disorders. “The dramatically increased risk among refugees shows that life events are a significant risk factor for schizophrenia and other psychoses,” explains leads author Dr Anna-Clara Hollander from the Karolinska Institutet. “This illustrates the impact that traumatic experiences can have on serious mental health conditions.”

DaveFoster

@haidut

Do you think these results indicate a permanent, punctuated change in brain chemistry, or rather the beginning of a cascade of pro-inflammatory metabolic substances? I'd guess the latter, and if this is the case, do you think thyroid can restore structure to the brain, or anything else?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

Do you think these results indicate a permanent, punctuated change in brain chemistry, or rather the beginning of a cascade of pro-inflammatory metabolic substances? I'd guess the latter, and if this is the case, do you think thyroid can restore structure to the brain, or anything else?

I don't think any change in structure is permanent. The brain continues to adapt to environment and if there is no change then means the environment is still the same (stressful). Thyroid can be very helpful but I think for reversing damages to brain from traumatic experiences or severe stress, a serotoni antagonist and/or dopaminergic drug like bromocriptine/lisuride would be even more helpful. Serotonin needs to be opposed before the brain can see the light again. Thyroid can help to a degree but sometimes the systemic serotonin is too much and a brain-specific tool like cypro or bromo is needed.

Makrosky

I don't think any change in structure is permanent. The brain continues to adapt to environment and if there is no change then means the environment is still the same (stressful). Thyroid can be very helpful but I think for reversing damages to brain from traumatic experiences or severe stress, a serotoni antagonist and/or dopaminergic drug like bromocriptine/lisuride would be even more helpful. Serotonin needs to be opposed before the brain can see the light again. Thyroid can help to a degree but sometimes the systemic serotonin is too much and a brain-specific tool like cypro or bromo is needed.
Or Tianeptine :):

Simonsays

@haidut You might like Oliver James' books.

He is up there with Ray in my humble opinion, banging away against the geneticists, about personality, mental illness etc

Not in Your Genes: The Real Reason Parents Are Like Their Children Oliver James expands on an argument he’s been making for years: that there is no scientific basis for belief in the idea that there is any genetic element to any psychological trait. Even illnesses such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are completely down to the environment in which you grew up, not the complex interplay between nature and nurture that mainstream science espouses.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut You might like Oliver James' books.

He is up there with Ray in my humble opinion, banging away against the geneticists, about personality, mental illness etc

Not in Your Genes: The Real Reason Parents Are Like Their Children Oliver James expands on an argument he’s been making for years: that there is no scientific basis for belief in the idea that there is any genetic element to any psychological trait. Even illnesses such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are completely down to the environment in which you grew up, not the complex interplay between nature and nurture that mainstream science espouses.

Yeah, actually Ray mentioned him in one of his interviews. Thanks for reminding me of his work again.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals