Schizophrenia Cures?

TreasureVibe

Increasing GABA levels.

Increasing oxytocin to lower high dopamine.

These could help.. GABA is known to inhibit intrusive unwanted thoughts and make the person control these much better. High dopamine is related to schizophrenia and increasing oxytocin will lower it.

Runenight201

OP did you ever try niacin? I have a friend who is schizophrenic and I'm interested in seeing how dosing with niacin could affect his audial hallucinations, paranoia, and delusions.

Hell, after seeing Abram Hoffer speak so highly of niacin, and I know people here are quite fond of niacinamide, I might have to give this vitamin a shot....

A. squamosa

please research this, but I thought serotonin had a role in schizophrenia? If that's true, cyproheptadine could be useful - I would look up Haidut's posts if I were you, go to the Danny Roddy weblog, check out the website cows eat grass, ray peat's website of course, maybe check out **** portion control blog just in case there's something there.

edit: this might be something to check out, perhaps a good place to start: Schizophrenia – Keeping It Real

Runenight201

There's a lot of different theories of schizophrenia floating around, and I think what we certainly can conclude is that the schizophrenic has a lot of things going wrong with him (serotonin, histamine, estrogen, thyroid, etc....) Travis had mentioned how he ascribes to the histamine theory of schizophrenia, and then Dr. Hoffer talks about how Niacin works as an antihistamine...

My friend is at a rehabilitation center hundreds of miles away from me, it's not like I can start micromanaging his diet (which would be my preferred first line of action).

I think telling him to start taking 500mg of niacin 3x a day is a pretty harmless intervention experiment.

LUH 3417

You're welcome. Report back how Niacin works out for you. It should take care of the anxiety and paranoia as well. Be careful with Things like pregnenolone and phenibut & even watchful for negative effects of Glycine and Magnesium.
Why would one take care to watch for pregnenealone and magnesium? Just wondering because I have a history of being paranoid and having instrusive thought processes and while b vitamins def help I’ve been taking mg and pregnenelone and feel a bit manic lately.

skittles

I don't think cannabis affects everyone in the same way, but it definitely pulled me into the schizophrenic side of the spectrum. It didn't seem to matter what the source was - street, unregulated dispensary, home grown, official government stuff - they all induced that state for me. I have a theory that it only does that to people in a low-energy state. But I've said goodbye to it, and my mental health has dramatically improved.

LUH 3417

I don't think cannabis affects everyone in the same way, but it definitely pulled me into the schizophrenic side of the spectrum. It didn't seem to matter what the source was - street, unregulated dispensary, home grown, official government stuff - they all induced that state for me. I have a theory that it only does that to people in a low-energy state. But I've said goodbye to it, and my mental health has dramatically improved.
Ditto

I'm sure most here are familiar with it, but in case someone's not: Dr Peat's article "Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease" is all about schizophrenia. It's a nice read, very informative and as usual Dr Peat has is very own view on things, e.g.: he acknowledeges the following problem and as far as I understand that's why he rather talks about 'brain stress syndromes':
how do people define schizophrenia ?
the definition seems very vague

He links the problem to high stress and therefore to high serotonin. Here are some ideas from the article:
- thyroid
- CO2-therapy
- lithium
- anti-serotonin drugs
- penicillin
- sleep therapy
- hyperbaric oxygen
- acetazolamide
- vitamins

In the beginning Dr Peat states: "The frontal lobes of the brain are hypometabolic in schizophrenia. Serotonin can cause vasoconstriction in the brain."
That brought me to the idea to maybe shine red light directly on your forehead. I don't really know if that upregulates the metabolism, but I can attest it does something to the brain, lol (when I hold the Red Light Device Mini directly on my forehead for a few minutes at bedtime, I can remember some of my dreams the next morning, which I usually don't due to daily cannabis consumption). Does anybody know if red light helps with vasoconstriction? (Or does it maybe make it even worse?)

Frankdee20

Paranoia is mostly Norepinephrine due to increased vigilence, I can only recall being paranoid from doing lots of Cocaine in my youth. Terrible feeling.

johnwester130

I'm sure most here are familiar with it, but in case someone's not: Dr Peat's article "Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease" is all about schizophrenia. It's a nice read, very informative and as usual Dr Peat has is very own view on things, e.g.: he acknowledeges the following problem and as far as I understand that's why he rather talks about 'brain stress syndromes':

He links the problem to high stress and therefore to high serotonin. Here are some ideas from the article:
- thyroid
- CO2-therapy
- lithium
- anti-serotonin drugs
- penicillin
- sleep therapy
- hyperbaric oxygen
- acetazolamide
- vitamins

In the beginning Dr Peat states: "The frontal lobes of the brain are hypometabolic in schizophrenia. Serotonin can cause vasoconstriction in the brain."
That brought me to the idea to maybe shine red light directly on your forehead. I don't really know if that upregulates the metabolism, but I can attest it does something to the brain, lol (when I hold the Red Light Device Mini directly on my forehead for a few minutes at bedtime, I can remember some of my dreams the next morning, which I usually don't due to daily cannabis consumption). Does anybody know if red light helps with vasoconstriction? (Or does it maybe make it even worse?)

facial shape causes schizophrenia

Minor Physical Anomalies and Quantitative Measures of the Head and Face in Patients With Psychosis
Increased Head Circumference in Schizophrenia

Autism also correlates to facial structure
Clinical research: Facial features can help diagnose autism | Spectrum | Autism Research News

This could explain the blood flow in the brain

LUH 3417

teslabox

Dr. Peat's other article on this subject is "A Biophysical Approach to Altered Consciousness", which is the first link on a list of Dr. Peat's articles not posted on his main site: Ray Peat related sites directory (MarshmalloW).

Alcohol is inflammatory, don't use it. Stimulants shred the mitochondria, don't use them.

In addition to the usual interventions (niacinamide, thyroid, progesterone, pregnenolone, b-vitamins, orange juice, etc), consider that emotional stress is a very strong factor for energy-depletion too.