Scalp psoriasis

Phiah

Can anyone please offer some advice regarding treatment of scalp Psoriasis? My 14 year old daughter has suffered with this for years, her father also has it. She has tried numerous coal tar shampoos and while they work initially it’s like the skin becomes used to it and they don’t do anything to help. I recently had a telephone appointment with her doctor who prescribed Dovobet-this is a strong steroid solution and after reading the instructions it’s left me a bit reluctant to use it-not only is it not licensed for use in under 18’s, more than 15 grams cannot be used daily and it can cause several side effects. Does anyone suffer with this and found a solution that actually works? Thanks in advance

OP
Phiah

Phiah

Anti-serotonin drugs are effective against psoriasis. Have you tried Cyproheptadine ?

Also topical caffein/Aspirin/Niacinamide could work. Search SolBan on the forum.
I haven’t tried Cyproheptadine..as my daughter is only 14 I’m really dubious about giving her anything like that. I’ll have a look at Solban-tho I’m in the UK-is it possible to get that here?

LLight

Your daughter is young so this might not be appropriate but here are some testimonies about (dry) fasting and psoriasis:

"I had facial psoriasis and acne and would do back to back 48 dry fasts with 72’s thrown In alongside carnivore refeeds, I know longer have any skin issues."

"Yes. Dry fasting has done wonders for my psoriasis."

"My psoriasis hasn’t cleared, but my scalp is MUCH less red and hot and inflamed, so maybe the healing will continue to take place as I refeed and rehydrate. I lost a ton of fat and can see my abs for the first time ever. I had some floaters in my left eye that seem to have disappeared!"

"Dry fasting works great for skin issues. My psoriasis is almost gone. Water fasting helped a little, but not even close compared to DF."

Mr Joe

Cyproheptadine is very safe, especially for such purpose (that will need only few mg). It has been used for autism in children with much higher doses. It's an anti-histaminic sale without prescription in France for exemple. Concerning Solban i don't know if it is possible to get in US but you can put some caffeine, aspirine and B3 on it. If you're still dubious, then red light could be also a solution.

Nebula

Can anyone please offer some advice regarding treatment of scalp Psoriasis? My 14 year old daughter has suffered with this for years, her father also has it. She has tried numerous coal tar shampoos and while they work initially it’s like the skin becomes used to it and they don’t do anything to help. I recently had a telephone appointment with her doctor who prescribed Dovobet-this is a strong steroid solution and after reading the instructions it’s left me a bit reluctant to use it-not only is it not licensed for use in under 18’s, more than 15 grams cannot be used daily and it can cause several side effects. Does anyone suffer with this and found a solution that actually works? Thanks in advance
I’m not sure what my scalp condition would be diagnosed as, probably more of a seborrhoeic dermatitis, but I’m finding great improvement from topical vitamin D (on forearms), topical Hydrogen water on scalp, and I also think oral baking soda is synergistic (1 tsp in a cup of water three times per day). So I would assume anything that improves circulation, CO2, lowers inflammation, improves oxidative phosphorylation, would be helpful.

I’m glad simple things are working well for me not only because they are cheap, but they also have no severe side effects.

Last edited:

Michael Mohn

If this skin condition has started with puperty then hormones are certainly involved. Progesterone might be helpful. If a carrot salad improves the condition then elevated estrogen is probably at play. Skin conditions often correlate with intestinal inflamation. Glycine/ gelatine and calcium bicarbonate can reduce intestinal permeability. A hormone penal can shed some light on it. Prolactin, PTH, cholesterol, vitamin D are some basics. High IgE can indicate an allergy. I'm allergic to mites and when I lived in places with carpets I get dry psoriasis like eczema on the scalp and hands. After moving out the situation resolvs itself. Anti histamines are always helpful, cyproheptadine is very powerful even in low doses. Brushing the scalp with a boar bristle brush before showering always has a calming effect on the scalp.

Last edited:

LucyL

I have a scalp condition similar to dermoid lupus, the things that have helped so far are keeping the parathyroid hormone production low by paying close attention to my dietary calcium / phosphorus ratio. I also think adding benedryl to my daily supp routine has helped. For short term symptom reduction, electric shock from a high frequency generator (I have these types BD-10A High Frequency Generator and Portable High Frequency Unit) can be helpful. But psoriasis may be different.

I would second that cyproheptadine is pretty safe. When my 12 years old was being treated for headaches, cyproheptadine was the one option I felt comfortable with a child taking.

OP
Phiah

Phiah

Thanks everyone-I think it would definitely be worth trying the cyproheptadine-however after briefly reading up on this I’m just a bit worried that it can cause weight gain..I know my daughter wouldn’t want that..anyone have any experience of this?

Dustin94

I would try applying topically c8 mct oil to the affected areas on the scalp twice a week. You can apply it at night using a dropper and sleep with it on, then wash it out with shampoo in the morning. This has cured my dandruff which was caused seborrheic dermatitis, which is closely related to psoriasis.

OP
Phiah

Phiah

I would try applying topically c8 mct oil to the affected areas on the scalp twice a week. You can apply it at night using a dropper and sleep with it on, then wash it out with shampoo in the morning. This has cured my dandruff which was caused seborrheic dermatitis, which is closely related to psoriasis.
Can you tell me what c8 mct oil is please?

Vins7

Your daughter is young so this might not be appropriate but here are some testimonies about (dry) fasting and psoriasis:

"I had facial psoriasis and acne and would do back to back 48 dry fasts with 72’s thrown In alongside carnivore refeeds, I know longer have any skin issues."

"Yes. Dry fasting has done wonders for my psoriasis."

"My psoriasis hasn’t cleared, but my scalp is MUCH less red and hot and inflamed, so maybe the healing will continue to take place as I refeed and rehydrate. I lost a ton of fat and can see my abs for the first time ever. I had some floaters in my left eye that seem to have disappeared!"

"Dry fasting works great for skin issues. My psoriasis is almost gone. Water fasting helped a little, but not even close compared to DF."
Do you think that it's better doing dry casting everyday for 12-16 hours or doing It less frequent (maybe once a month) for 48-72 hours?
I'm afraid about loosing too much weight...

S-VV

Some of the suggestions offered here are primo-deluxe lunacy. A 14 year old should NOT
-fast
-use progesterone, or any other ******* hormone, while her HPA/G axis is still developing
-use systemic cyproheptadine, a drug that routinely adds 5-10kg of weight which is a guarantee of bullying and low self esteem for a young girl, unless the benefit is clear

Some safe starting points are vitamin D once levels are measured, sunlight, red/infrared light, Magnesium, Niacinamide (B3), 100 IU of vitamin E (a functional anti-estrogen) ,enough high quality protein in the diet, eliminating irritating and very fibrous foods, assessing possible nutritional deficiencies by using CRON-O-METER, addressing sleep and circadian rhythm, and levels of stress.

Michael Mohn

Some of the suggestions offered here are primo-deluxe lunacy. A 14 year old should NOT
-fast
-use progesterone, or any other ******* hormone, while her HPA/G axis is still developing
-use systemic cyproheptadine, a drug that routinely adds 5-10kg of weight which is a guarantee of bullying and low self esteem for a young girl, unless the benefit is clear

Some safe starting points are vitamin D once levels are measured, sunlight, red/infrared light, Magnesium, Niacinamide (B3), 100 IU of vitamin E (a functional anti-estrogen) ,enough high quality protein in the diet, eliminating irritating and very fibrous foods, assessing possible nutritional deficiencies by using CRON-O-METER, addressing sleep and circadian rhythm, and levels of stress.
You forgot to mention a very safe medication for skin conditions in teenage girls - the antibaby pill. Very popular and widely prescribed. Nicotine is also a functional anti estrogen, that's why a lot of girls start smoking tobacco from the age of 12.
You still think progesterone (or pregnenolone) is lunacy?

S-VV

You forgot to mention a very safe medication for skin conditions in teenage girls - the antibaby pill. Very popular and widely prescribed. Nicotine is also a functional anti estrogen, that's why a lot of girls start smoking tobacco from the age of 12.
You still think progesterone (or pregnenolone) is lunacy?
Yes. The abysmal and continuous malpractice of mainstream medicine does not excuse nor justify the use of unsafe treatments for a developing teenager.

I don't care for the allopathic standard of care as anything that should be used as a benchmark for the suitability of alternative medicine.

Michael Mohn

Yes. The abysmal and continuous malpractice of mainstream medicine does not excuse nor justify the use of unsafe treatments for a developing teenager.

I don't care for the allopathic standard of care as anything that should be used as a benchmark for the suitability of alternative medicine.
So what is the damaging effect of low dose Progesterone on the HPA/G axis in developing teenage girls. Please educate us.

Mr Joe

-fast

5-10 kg with 1 or 2 mg Cypro during one or two weeks ? Sounds a bit much...

yerrag

I have seborrheic dermatitis. I don't care for most of the suggestions given here mainly because they are like throwing darts. And while well intentioned, they get the person bewildered and baffled. SD is not something that goes away overnight. If she starts on the wrong footing, that is time wasted. And most suggestions are based on theory not actual experience and that makes for mostly lousy advice.

My experience with SD is that it's caused my internal infection. In my case, it is periodontal infection. Problem is that periodontal infection is often hidden, and when the gum shows signs, it's already at an advanced stage. Often the tell is when a tooth comes loose and needs to be extracted.

Before these signs, one can experience other seemingly unrelated symptoms such as arthritis and SD. This waste is likely from the leftover of the immune system destroying the infection. So the more active the infection, the more you will see the SD being more wet and inflamed. The less active it is, the drier and more flaky the SD becomes.

That has been my experience with SD. When a intake antibiotics the SD goes on remission and I'll have less SD flakes. When I get off antibiotics, it gets more flaky and it can get wet and inflamed. And it's because antibiotics won't fix it permanently because the source of infection isn't really dealt with.

Doctors can't help because they're not about identifying the root cause and eliminating it.

They don't even care about low-level infections, which don't produce a fever. They'll just stay "nothing there. Next patient."

The hair follicles are like mini-kidneys in that they excrete waste. You'll notice that bald people don't have SD. It's because they don't have hair follicles anymore.

My guess is that the SD is waste being excreted by hair follicles.

Nebula

My guess is that the SD is waste being excreted by hair follicles.
That makes sense in my experience and I’ve had a similar view. Vitamin D seems to be doing most of the work with endotoxin TLR4 antagonism systemically. Topical hydrogen water is doing an excellent job of eliminating local inflammation. After a month of applying a soaked cloth on my scalp for a half hour it feels almost perfect. I’m very impressed with topical hydrogen water on various inflammatory skin lesions.

Last edited: