Scalp Progesterone For Hair Loss Experiment

xetawaves

It's weird.

Only progesterone that I able to found is micronized one from pharmacy. (Government restricts everything here!) Which has short-life. It also doesn't contain Vitamin E. It has 200mg progesterone per pills.

It improved my sleep, my moon face is gone. Also reduced my sheddings.

It has potent for fighting with lot of things. Cortisol, estrogen, inflammation, maybe DHT. It should help.

Some people have good effects but for some people it doesn't work. I don't get it.

I'm only taking a couple drops topically per day which is 6mg, but my body is probably only metabolizing around 5mg. I can still feel the effects though. I just wonder if I need to maybe increase my dosage substantially? I'm hesitant to try.

Did it increase your shed at first?

LCohen

I'm only taking a couple drops topically per day which is 6mg, but my body is probably only metabolizing around 5mg. I can still feel the effects though. I just wonder if I need to maybe increase my dosage substantially? I'm hesitant to try.

Did it increase your shed at first?

5 - 6 mg ? Aren't these too low dosages ? There are some 100-200mg available. I would try I were you. Just because it has overall good effects on health..

What stuff you are using beside it ?

Progesterone

I agree, dose is way too low...

Try at least 20mg... and up to 100mg.

Low doses could contribute to estrogen dominance (potentially)

xetawaves

The tj287 guy that was linked in this thread said he only took 30mg eod. Not sure why people were saying 100mg. I'm taking 3 drops now instead of 2. My hair shed has decreased substantially, so I decided to start taking an extra drop. I'll possibly work my way up, but it seems to be working for me.

Progesterone

Shedding bad today. May stop progesterone at this point. I can tell it's raising my test levels. Larger, leaner muscles. Crazy libido. I can feel it.

I knew progesterone would be a mistake. I can't afford another bad shed that doesn't regrow. This stuff is great for anxiety and sexual health, but I see very few cases where it actually benefits male balding. Good luck to you that wanna give it a go, but I'm tired of seeing hair fall in the sink.

How much shedding? How much hair?

When I stop prog for a little while.... my hair gets worse, it maybe doesn't shed, but it starts to look thin in some spots, then when I'm on prog consistently it looks good.

I have one spot in front.... I had stopped prog for awhile, and was very surprised to see what was happening. Got back on prog. 2months or so later and it's not a problem anymore.

I think you need to stop looking at shedding so much... everyone sheds. It also varies and depends on when you last washed your hair, etc.

Need more details..

Progesterone

The tj287 guy that was linked in this thread said he only took 30mg eod. Not sure why people were saying 100mg. I'm taking 3 drops now instead of 2. My hair shed has decreased substantially, so I decided to start taking an extra drop. I'll possibly work my way up, but it seems to be working for me.

I spoke with that guy. You need to keep going in the thread.

He uses 100mg oral pills, once EOD.

FYI. I am now using 20mg approx, drops dropped directly on tongue and held there for as long as possible.

I was previously putting 100mg in a capsule but I think that just may be a waste of money at this point.

The 100mg tj is using, is powder form, and doesn't have Vit E. He likely gets absorbed 10mg...20mg.. total, but who knows.

xetawaves

How much shedding? How much hair?

When I stop prog for a little while.... my hair gets worse, it maybe doesn't shed, but it starts to look thin in some spots, then when I'm on prog consistently it looks good.

I have one spot in front.... I had stopped prog for awhile, and was very surprised to see what was happening. Got back on prog. 2months or so later and it's not a problem anymore.

I think you need to stop looking at shedding so much... everyone sheds. It also varies and depends on when you last washed your hair, etc.

Need more details..

See my above post. Shedding isn't bad anymore. I'm guessing it was a stress induced shed, I've had a lot going on lately.

Progesterone

See my above post. Shedding isn't bad anymore. I'm guessing it was a stress induced shed, I've had a lot going on lately.

I see, good news.

You should take pictures and document with that. Don't go with 'shedding', IMO.

I'm not sure if Prog will increase T levels over time... from everything I've read, probably the opposite.

It seems it will also increase SHBG reliably (which is good to keep hair). Men with MPHL usually have low levels of SHBG.

J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011 Apr 19.

Sex hormone-binding globulin and risk of hyperglycemia in patients with androgenetic alopecia.

Arias-Santiago S, Gutiérrez-Salmerón MT, Buendía-Eisman A, Girón-Prieto MS, Naranjo-Sintes R.

Source

Dermatology Unit, San Cecilio University Hospital, Granada, Spain.

BACKGROUND:

Low circulating levels of sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) are a strong predictor of the risk of type 2 diabetes. Androgenetic alopecia (AGA) has been related to an increase in cardiovascular risk, but the mechanism of this association has not been elucidated. AGA can be associated with low levels of SHBG and insulin resistance, which could be related to hyperglycemia and type 2 diabetes.

OBJECTIVE:
The objective of this study was to evaluate SHBG and blood glucose levels in men and women with early-onset AGA and control subjects to determine whether low levels of SHBG are associated with hyperglycemia.

METHODS:
This case-control study included 240 patients consecutively admitted to the outpatient clinic (Dermatology Department of San Cecilio University Hospital, Granada, Spain), 120 with early-onset AGA (60 men and 60 women) and 120 control subjects (60 men and 60 women) with skin diseases other than alopecia.

RESULTS:
Of patients with AGA, 39.1% presented with hyperglycemia (>110 mg/dL) versus 12.5% of controls (P < 0.0001). AGA patients with hyperglycemia or diabetes presented lower significant levels of SHBG than alopecic patients without hyperglycemia or type 2 diabetes, respectively. Patients with AGA and hyperglycemia presented significantly lower levels of SHBG than controls with hyperglycemia (22.3 vs 39.4 nmol/L for AGA patients and controls, respectively, P = .004). No significant differences in SHBG levels were noticed between patients and controls without hyperglycemia. Binary logistic regression showed a strong association between lower SHBG levels and glucose levels greater than 110 mg/dL in patients with AGA even after additional adjustment for sex, abdominal obesity, and free testosterone (odds ratio = 3.35; 95% confidence interval = 1.9-5.7; P < .001).

LIMITATIONS:
The study of a wider sample of AGA patients would confirm these findings and would permit analysis of the pathogenic mechanisms underlying the increase in cardiovascular risk in patients with AGA.

CONCLUSION:
An association between early-onset AGA, hyperglycemia/diabetes, and low levels of SHBG was observed in the current study. Low levels of SHBG could be a marker of insulin resistance and hyperglycemia/diabetes in patients with AGA.

Hormonal Profile in men with premature androgenic alopecia [Article in Czech]

Starka L, Hill M, Polacek V.

Endokrinologicky ustav a IPVZ, Praha, Czech Republic.

Androgenetic alopecia especially that with premature onset can be a cause of serious psychic trauma. As far as the treatment with antiandrogens, inhibitors of 5 alpha-reductase or hair transplantation represents a heavy economic burden for the patient, we tried to exclude other hormonal causes or to find a criterion for the apt candidates for the treatment in 15 young men with premature androgenetic alopecia.Hormonal analysis discovered a significantly lower plasma level of sexual binding globulin (SHBG) and FSH and nearly significantly higher concentration of 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone. These data resemble those in the hormonal pattern of women suffering from the syndrome of polycystic ovaries (PCOS). The finding of premature balding as the possible male phenotype hormonal equivalent of polycystic ovaries is in concordance with several pedigree studies in kindreds with PCOS, which have suggested a genetic basis of this syndrome in some families in which balding and pilosity was frequent in male members.

Sex hormone-binding globulin and saliva testosterone levels in men with androgenetic alopecia.

Cipriani R, Ruzza G, Foresta C, Veller Fornasa C, Peserico A.

Sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), plasma testosterone and saliva testosterone were measured in sixty-four men with androgenetic alopecia and in forty males within the same age range without alopecia. There was a significant reduction in SHBG levels in bald men, compared with controls. Plasma testosterone levels were not raised in bald men, but their salivary testosterone levels were significantly higher than in controls.

Last edited:

Mossy

I'm not sure if Prog will increase T levels over time... from everything I've read, probably the opposite.
I noted this earlier in the thread, but Haidut believes Prog will increae T and DHT:

Haidut mentions the potential for progesterone to increase DHT and testosterone...

For reference, here's his comment: "Progesterone stimulates the steroid cascade and DHEA will convert further down the pathways. Since progesterone will block/inhibit the estrogen pathways, most of the DHEA will end up as T and DHT".

As Haidut also mentions, maybe it's a dose dependent thing as well...he notes some pretty high doses: "One study showed 30% boost in T in men with low testosterone after taking 200mg micronized progesterone orally for a month. I also posted an animal study showing increases in both T and DHT from human equivalent oral dose of 600mg."​

Progesterone

I noted this earlier in the thread, but Haidut believes Prog will increae T and DHT:

Haidut mentions the potential for progesterone to increase DHT and testosterone...

For reference, here's his comment: "Progesterone stimulates the steroid cascade and DHEA will convert further down the pathways. Since progesterone will block/inhibit the estrogen pathways, most of the DHEA will end up as T and DHT".

As Haidut also mentions, maybe it's a dose dependent thing as well...he notes some pretty high doses: "One study showed 30% boost in T in men with low testosterone after taking 200mg micronized progesterone orally for a month. I also posted an animal study showing increases in both T and DHT from human equivalent oral dose of 600mg."​

Yes... but...

and I know this is controversial to bring up his name, but gbold says he's used Prog many times, on/off... and around 20 days in or so, is when T drops off, all the time. Confirmed with blood tests too.

tbh... I don't doubt it one bit, considering the way I feel on it. I certainly DON'T feel like my T/DHT is increased, that's for sure.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but I would think lower T and lower DHT is more accurate, just from using it myself.

Reduced penile sensitivity alone, is a big red flag for DHT reduction..

Mossy

Yes... but...

and I know this is controversial to bring up his name, but gbold says he's used Prog many times, on/off... and around 20 days in or so, is when T drops off, all the time. Confirmed with blood tests too.

tbh... I don't doubt it one bit, considering the way I feel on it. I certainly DON'T feel like my T/DHT is increased, that's for sure.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but I would think lower T and lower DHT is more accurate, just from using it myself.

Reduced penile sensitivity alone, is a big red flag for DHT reduction..
Ok, I can respect that. Personal experience, and just experience in general, versus only theory and/or studies is definitely valid. There are so many variables involved, so, as you say, it's not about saying someone is wrong or right, just that there is more complexity than originally thought.

Too bad T drops off after a short period.

Progesterone

Ok, I can respect that. Personal experience, and just experience in general, versus only theory and/or studies is definitely valid. There are so many variables involved, so, as you say, it's not about saying someone is wrong or right, just that there is more complexity than originally thought.

Too bad T drops off after a short period.

I'm using it to fight against MPHL...

This is a much better side effect than anything fin can offer.

xetawaves

Those of you that have had success with progesterone in regards to hair, how long did it take before you started seeing results?

Progesterone

Those of you that have had success with progesterone in regards to hair, how long did it take before you started seeing results?

Hi.

I've stopped taking prog for maybe 5-6 days now....

I think I'm shedding MORE now, off prog, face is oilier, much oilier... I'm not sleeping as good as I was on prog.

What effects are you noticing ON PROG right now?

How are erections and libido?

Arnold Grape

It seems like you guys are describing classic male experiences with Progesterone, where it starts out being a great stress reducing device and then begins to impact T, with little exception to be found. My experience mimics what you are all saying, but even at 1x drop of Progest-e daily the effect was cumulative - and months in I did experience thinning hair. The advice I read said to ramp up calcium to mitigate this effect, but this did little for me. Additionally, my arms and legs became thin despite exercise. Mood was goat, however ;p

Progesterone

It seems like you guys are describing classic male experiences with Progesterone, where it starts out being a great stress reducing device and then begins to impact T, with little exception to be found. My experience mimics what you are all saying, but even at 1x drop of Progest-e daily the effect was cumulative - and months in I did experience thinning hair. The advice I read said to ramp up calcium to mitigate this effect, but this did little for me. Additionally, my arms and legs became thin despite exercise. Mood was goat, however ;p

Damnit...

So what helps hair then? :(

It doesn't help sports either, does it? Probably would make that worse..

Arnold Grape

Eee - It seems relative. Something tells me that a robust diet of good foods and basic Peating; b vitamins; sugar; sunlight; promoting androgens and exercise/ fresh air coupled with good sleep might be the sanest protocol. I'm also starting to think that opposing serotonin with something like Lysine occasionally - or Cypro - possibly might confound hair loss.

xetawaves

I don't understand how progesterone can regrow hair in some men but cause hair loss in others? I haven't experienced any muscle loss. My arms actually look a bit bigger. Libido is a bit lower than normal, but I don't have any trouble getting it up. My face is also a lot less oily.

I would say age plays a huge role in a male's response to progesterone.

Progesterone

Eee - It seems relative. Something tells me that a robust diet of good foods and basic Peating; b vitamins; sugar; sunlight; promoting androgens and exercise/ fresh air coupled with good sleep might be the sanest protocol. I'm also starting to think that opposing serotonin with something like Lysine occasionally - or Cypro - possibly might confound hair loss.

Perhaps I need to try Cypro...

Didn't Danny Roddy say he uses that every night?

The best thing for hair loss you think is eating well, exercises and lysine/cypro?

xetawaves

lol eating a super clean diet did absolutely nothing for my hair. It actually thinned faster than it did when I was eating junk foods. I know guys who eat whatever they want and have perfect hairlines.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals