Saw Naturopath today....am confused!

kkrtype

I was recently diagnosed with a abnormal pap so I sought out a naturopathic doctor who did all that kind of stuff and was a naturopathic doctor. So I showed her my results from my MD and it's very low, etc, so she gave me some Green Tea extract at 80%, some super grade fish oil that I have to refrigerate and some turmeric. She suggested I take these and see a local gyno in three to six months and go from there. I didn't buy the fish oil as I have something like that from my kinesiologist and need to finish that first. it's not fish oil persay but Cod liver oil that my kinesiologist gives me.

So....when I asked her about the Progest E and the weight gain, she said I need to go off the milk and the cheese and have snacks of almonds or things like that, hummus, apple, etc.

We also took some blood tests relative to my thyroid, the TSH ones, etc, etc.

So....I'm conflicted here. I will get my test results back next week and see what's going on with the thyroid. She said my thyroid looked fine, but it wasn't great but it wasn't bad it was kind of in the middle.

So, any thoughts on all this?

OP
K

kkrtype

Oh and PS. She is just reading the test results on my thyroid from my MD, but he didn't do the comprehensive thyroid tests. those are the ones that she took that I will get back next week.

And the Progest E she said "Get off it!!!!" I have only taken it twice as I just got it. Do you know if I can return it?

Thanks!!!

answersfound

Yikes. You're not the first to have this dilemma. this certainly contradicts Rays advice. I would recommend talking to your nd about some sort of thyroid med if you feel you need it, despite your numbers suggest normal. I would stick to 3 drops of progest e a day, it seems to help a lot of people around here.

The thing is your never going to hear the answer you want from these people. Maybe you can talk them into giving you a particular medication, but for the most part you are on your own. If you feel overwhlemed and confused I would look into Danny roddys organizing the panic. He lays everything out Excellently and its only 60-70 dollars. He'll also give coaching for another 60-70. I'm in no way associated with the product I just purchased it myself and was more than satisfied. It's targeted towards people with hairlos, but it's all the same protocol.

That's about all the advice I can give you. I think you will have a much better idea of the peat protocol with the program mentioned above. Also if you don't want to do that, Google image search ray peat diet and you will find an image showing all the recommended foods. After that you may want to think about supplementing with the fat solubles - a, d, e, k. Forum member haidut sells a good one. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. I personally think we owe it to ourselves to question everything including conventional and alternative medical advice. It is a rare gift indeed to find someone you can trust to partner with in your healthcare but even then we should always explore all of our options. Peat's work does not fit neatly into most medical ideologies/practices. Many of us got here because we have experienced harm from conventional and/or alternative medicine and felt compelled to seek a different path. We are primarily here to find a way to restore our health. It can be confusing at first because it's such a radical departure from what we are used to in medicine. Just keep reading Peat and listen to what your gut tells you is the right thing for you.

OP
K

kkrtype

Thank you both so much! I will look at danny's. I guess I just wish that with the Peat that there was someone who could say, yes, okay, do this, eat that....not that the forums don't do this, but everyone is different.

And might I add, the reason the ND wanted me to get off the milk and cheese is because I use an inhaler for asthma, about twice a day. And she says it's due to the milk. I have actually not had the asthma first thing in the morning, well, 4:00 am that is, since the peat eating. And when I drink organic milk, it doesn't bother me. But when I drink regular milk, it does. So that was why she suggested that.

And, yes, I will follow my gut. I like what Peat says because he's scientific about the way the body works, particularly ED and thyroid, etc. I just wish he had people like the ND who you could contact and get advise for you as everyone is different. But thank you so much I will take all that into consideration.

answersfound

Yea there is also josh and Jeannie Rubin from east west healing. You could look them up on YouTube. But they strictly do coaching on food, no supplements, meds, etc. their philosophy is that you can fix everything with food, but for most people that probably isn't the case.

Dont make yourself crazy with the diet stuff. Just keep PUFAs low and eat when you're hungry, drink when thirsty. There's a post with ray peat junk food which could be helpful in your situation.

In regards to dairy stick with what works. You should be able to better tolerate dairy as your metabolism picks up.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Another good Peat style consultant is Benedicte Lerche PHD at http://www.biochemnordic.com. She is recommended on Ray's website. I've worked with her but I know others have been helped by Danny and the Rubins too. Just look around their different sites and see what you think.

OP
K

kkrtype

Super awesome!!! I will look them all up now. I really appreciate that!!!!

BingDing

The herb doctor who does the interviews is about as grooved in to RP's ideas as anyone, I think. He does consults.

Milk is not all the same. If you find one that seems good, like that organic one, use that as much as feels right.

OP
K

kkrtype

Thank you so much. I actually looked him up and I would go to him in a heart beat. There's just one issue...he's $1,200.....just totally not in my budget right now unfortunately! Ugh!!!

natedawggh

kkrtype said:
I was recently diagnosed with a abnormal pap so I sought out a naturopathic doctor who did all that kind of stuff and was a naturopathic doctor. So I showed her my results from my MD and it's very low, etc, so she gave me some Green Tea extract at 80%, some super grade fish oil that I have to refrigerate and some turmeric. She suggested I take these and see a local gyno in three to six months and go from there. I didn't buy the fish oil as I have something like that from my kinesiologist and need to finish that first. it's not fish oil persay but Cod liver oil that my kinesiologist gives me.

So....when I asked her about the Progest E and the weight gain, she said I need to go off the milk and the cheese and have snacks of almonds or things like that, hummus, apple, etc.

We also took some blood tests relative to my thyroid, the TSH ones, etc, etc.

So....I'm conflicted here. I will get my test results back next week and see what's going on with the thyroid. She said my thyroid looked fine, but it wasn't great but it wasn't bad it was kind of in the middle.

So, any thoughts on all this?

DO NOT TAKE THE FISH OIL. IT IS TOXIC. IT WILL DESTROY YOUR LIVER AND AGE YOUR SKIN. I REPEAT, DO NOT TAKE IT.

tara

Did you get the numbers from the thyroid test results? If your naturopath means that TSH is in the middle of the standard range, that might well mean above 2. Peat would prefer it below 1, and says he's seldom (or never) seen a really healthy person with TSH above 2.

I agree not to take the fish oil. If you have no better source of the oily vitamins, a little cod liver oil might be better than nothing, but it's high PUFA and there are better ways to get those vitamins. Peat has an article on ish oil, if you are looking for reasons. http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fishoil.shtml

I think it's likely you'll want that progest-e at some stage, so if it were me I'd stick it in the fridge till you are ready to try it again somewhere down the track. I'd also recommend reading his articles on estrogen and progesterone, if you haven't already.

If you've got access to milk you can drink that doesn't seem to trigger asthma or other problems, I'd be keeping that up. If you can't, then it's probably good to get calcium from other sources, eg clean eggshell powder or oyster shell powder.

kkrtype said:
Thank you so much. I actually looked him up and I would go to him in a heart beat. There's just one issue...he's $1,200

LOL! At that price they better also hook you up with some herbs :lol:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals