Saunas: Good Or Bad In PeatLand?

narouz

I used to think they were great: cleansing, detoxifying, etc.
I haven't seen anything that Peat has said about saunas.
I'm guessing he probably doesn't like them:
for the same reasons he doesn't like stressful exercise,
and the same reasons he doesn't like fasting.
I'm guessing it's an energy thing with him,
and he sees it as energy expenditure with no clear gains
or even with negative gains:
the release of stress hormones,
maybe the fast release of stored PUFA...

Dr. Peat's diet eschews the typical "cleansing" ideals promoted by many alternative practitioners
like Mercola.

But I don't know.
Has anyone heard a Peat comment about saunas?

J

j.

Why is releasing PUFAs bad? If they're bad, wouldn't getting rid of them be a good thing?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Releasing a lot pufa's is stressful though. Thats why he says to eat a lot of sugar so pufas wont be released so fast. I think.

Where is the smarties like cliff when you need them? :lol:

cliff

Saunas have benefits from the heat, you could get the most of the same benefits plus more using a heat lamp imo.

releasing too much pufa from the tissues is bad because they oxidize and destroy mitochondria among other things, this is why you want to keep free fatty acids low with diet and lifestyle. Optimally you want the PUFA to be detoxed through your liver and not burned for energy.

Koniec

I sometimes take a fairly hot bath with 2-3 fistfuls of baking soda and a fistful of epsom salt.

RP mentions Asian cultures knowing about the positive effects of CO2 in the forms of baths (somewhere, sorry can't produce source rt. now).

It's relaxing (although I see how it could be taxing on the system) I usually follow up with a tall glass of OJ.

Sometimes I also follow up also with a cool bath to come back down.

Koniec

Whoa, so apparently this exists. (searching bath or sauna may help)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100756516/Ray-Peat-Website

"Increased body temperature improves sleep, especially the deep slow wave sleep. A hot bath, or even warming the feet, has the same effect as thyroid in improving sleep. Salty and sugary foods taken at bedtime, orduring the night, help to improve the quality and duration of sleep. Both salt and sugar lower the adrenalin level, and both tend to raise the body temperature."

So perhaps tempering this (as with sugar and coffee) can be beneficial as long as the system isn't shocked or ill-balanced elsewhere.

nwo2012

As Cliff says, hyperthermic therapies are a good thing in Peat land. Supportive of thryoid. However, the water must not be fluoridated or chlorinated or you will breathe in those vapours.

Nick810

So it would seem a dry-sauna is better than both a steam room and hot bath.

Which makes a lot of sense... I wonder about infrared saunas?

nwo2012

Nickje said:
So it would seem a dry-sauna is better than both a steam room and hot bath.

Which makes a lot of sense... I wonder about infrared saunas?

Can only be beneficial. The red light would fit in with Peatarianism.

peatarian

Warm temperatures will always increase your estrogen level and release stored PUFA. Saunas as known in Europe are too hot. A hot bath will never be as hot as the air in a sauna and this means stress.

Infrared is always a good idea if infrared speaks of the light, not just the heat. RP uses infrared lamps to heat 'his area' in winter instead of heating the whole house. But he doesn't use them as hyperthermia therapy. He once suggested hyperthermia to me as a safe anti-cancer-treatment. Obviously this treatment was invented in Italy but it's hardly ever used anywhere in spite of the tremendously positive results in studies. In some parts of Europe and the US hyperthermia therapy is only allowed as accompanying measure for people treated with radioactivity or chemotherapy.

Obviously the effect of shrinking cancer cells has a lot to do with the stress of the heat. But this is a bit like an artificial fever which helps the body to set free energy, too. After hyperthermia you are supposed to feel very weak to the point that you can't walk. It is immensely stressful and often administered under anesthesia.

But rising the body temperature through a bath or a hot shower is definitely a good idea, better than exercise at least.

There are some places in Europe with natural CO2 springs. Those are places of traditional healing where you bath in the bubbles. But there is no safe way to have a CO2 bath at home apart from baking soda in the water.

Have you tried the CO2 filled body sized bags? I usually sweat in there since the CO2 replaces the water in my cells. The more often I do it, the less 'water' there will be in the bag. It feels like a trip to the mountains. Afterwards I am always tired in a good way and sometimes I fall asleep in the bag. I can only recommend it.
I usually take a hot bath before I climb in the bag so I will lose a lot of liquid in there.

peatarian

There is a picture of me sleeping in the puffed up bag. It does look funny. Have been blackmailed ever since ...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So how do you do this bag and Co2 deal? What exactly do you need?

peatarian

Well, a bag and CO2 ... RP talks about it in the video you posted. I think it's the only one that exists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZkGxrntmTE
I use big garbage bags usually used on construction sites. You should wash them with warm water to make sure they are hygienic. They can smell awful.
I bought a bottle of CO2 (you get them at aquarium shops or online).
I climb into the bag, press the air out and close it around my neck. Then I let the CO2 in.
I usually spend 1 or 2 hours in there.
You can listen to music, watch TV.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Very cool, thank you. :) I want to give this a try.

peatarian

Of course, you're very welcome.
Just one thing: don't forget you don't only need the bottle but also a matching pressure regulating valve and a hose.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yep, I am on it. Hopefully I can get a setup going by the time winter sets in. I will be sitting by the fire in my bag of Co2 sipping on OJ and gelatin under my high power light setup. Peating it up to the fullest! :dance

healing

What health benefits do you feel from the CO2 body bag therapy besides relaxation? I'm curious about trying it but a little intimidated.

Kemby

Yep, I am on it. Hopefully I can get a setup going by the time winter sets in. I will be sitting by the fire in my bag of Co2 sipping on OJ and gelatin under my high power light setup. Peating it up to the fullest!

My family think im a little strange already with the things I eat and do (They don't understand) but they would try to have me locked up if they find me doing that.

Just out of interest. Is it safe to breathe in small amounts of CO2 from the bottles ? I imagine that would be inadvisable.