Saturated Fats And Mitochondrias

SQu

I feel unwell fast when I don't have daily eggs, and the symptoms are liverish, and I need more than usual for weeks later. I assume it's the choline.

milk_lover

Westside PUFAs said:
post 119335
tara said:
post 119330
milk_lover said:
post 118998 We need to enjoy food, it's supposed to be fun.

I disagree. We should eat to live, not live to eat. Living to eat is what causes the problems of dietary excess, the artificial stimulation of dopamine. This is whats called the dietary "pleasure trap."
I eat to live, which will give me more chance to eat. It's in a cycle not one way relationship and since we need ATP molecules constantly to keep our cells alive, why not enjoy our food?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jb116

Why is it set in stone that we can't EAT to LIVE while LIVING to EAT??
I find these foods very enjoyable!

OP
G

Gascon

Lets come back to the subject :

- Should we favor high fat or high carb meal with just a few of the other (fat+protein breakfast with little carb, carb + protein lunch with little fat etc) ?
- How much fat is too much on a meal with starches ?

I'm finding it helpful to boost coconut oil quite a lot with every meal so far. I just made "bulletproof" coffee except with coconut oil and a bit of honey.

paymanz

This is true, but palmitic acid specifically activates the pyruvate dehydrogenase enzyme unlike any other fat. Stearic acid can do the same but it much less potent than palmitic. Peat said it several times and I posted studies on that too. Low pyruvate dehydrogenase activity is found in virtually all disease, especially diabetes and cancer, and aging in general. Thiamine (B1), thyroid, and palmitic acid restore its function.
Also, palmitic acid is crucial for keep the mitochondrial limid cardiolipin saturated. Aging and diseases are all characterized by both decrease in cardiolipin levels and increase in the unsaturation of the composition. Babies have almost fully saturated cardiolipin and very old people have cardiolipin composed almost entirely of omega-6. Cardiolipin is one of the main controllers of cytochrome C oxidase function and the activities of electron transport chains III and IV. Animal studies with phosphatidylcholine showed that it can restore cardiolipin levels back to youthful levels, and eating saturated fat restores its saturated composition.
When you eat sugar in excess you synthesize primarily palmitic acid. Yes, eating tons of fat is not wise but is someone has been ingesting PUFA poison for years, it's better for them to gorge on saturated fat for a while to change the body composition of fats. Otherwise, if they try to lose weight all that PUFA will flood the bloodstream and wreak havoc from which very few people will be able to come out fine.

whats your opinion about this?

Cytochrome c release from rat liver mitochondria is compromised by increased saturated cardiolipin species induced by sucrose feeding. - PubMed - NCBI

haidut

Forum Supporter

paymanz

The abstract actually says that is NOT a good things. Given that it is a mitochondrial enzyme, its presence in the blood is generally not a good thing, and sucrose was found to inhibit that realease cause by ROS such as H2O2.
yeah it says its not a good thing, and it confuses me.i saw it on other articles too,that cytochrome C released during bad situations and is a sign of stress!

haidut

Forum Supporter

Quality

Interesting, I wonder if theres any connection between peanuts containing nicotinamide riboside (best mito booster out there imo) and this article,
honestly I doubt the content of nicotinamide in peanut(oil?) is high enough though.

haidut

Forum Supporter

amethyst

Hydrogenated peanut oil is saturated fat. That is what hydrogenation does - saturates the fat. I guess it is cheaper to produce hydrogenated peanut oil as a source of saturated fat than to obtain it from coconut oil, milk, loin, etc.
So, could you kinda Peat-cheat and eat hydrogenated peanut butter once in a while, being that it has saturated fat in it? Or would it being a trans-fat cancel out any benefit? I love peanut butter on a banana.

So, could you kinda Peat-cheat and eat hydrogenated peanut butter once in a while, being that it has saturated fat in it? Or would it being a trans-fat cancel out any benefit? I love peanut butter on a banana.
I didn't even know that there's hydrogenated peanut butter. :openmouth:

amethyst

I didn't even know that there's hydrogenated peanut butter. :openmouth:
Yeah, most of the store brands have hydrogenated oil in them, (JIF, Skippy, Peter Pan etc) except for the "natural" peanut butter..(Smuckers) which I was eating before peating, because it was supposed to be better for you not having trans-fats in it. I just want to now know if hydrogenated peanut butter is ok once in a while, peat-wise, being that Haidut said hydrogenated peanut butter has saturated fat in it.
* I just want my bananas and peanut butter!* :hungry::arghh::p

haidut

Forum Supporter

Of course, if you can find FULLY hydrogenated peanut oil. It is not easy to find and the commonly sold one is PARTIALLY hydrogenated, which is not as good but still better than pure PUFA. Fully hydrogenated oil has no trans-fatty acids.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yeah, most of the store brands have hydrogenated oil in them, (JIF, Skippy, Peter Pan etc) except for the "natural" peanut butter..(Smuckers) which I was eating before peating, because it was supposed to be better for you not having trans-fats in it. I just want to now know if hydrogenated peanut butter is ok once in a while, peat-wise, being that Haidut said hydrogenated peanut butter has saturated fat in it.
* I just want my bananas and peanut butter!* :hungry::arghh::p

In support of my previous response to your post - the hydrogenated oil used in most commercial goods is partially hydrogenated oil. Fully hydrogenated oil is hard to buy, is more expensive and is usually solid at room temperature. So, not very useful for the candy industry which wants the oil to be liquid, cheap and with long-shelf life. Coconut oil is great but it is not cheap, otherwise we would have been bathing in coconut oil candy by now. Palm oil is the second best thing in commercial usage but the industry still prefer the partially hydrogenated oils or just plain PUFA oils with added vitamin E.

amethyst

In support of my previous response to your post - the hydrogenated oil used in most commercial goods is partially hydrogenated oil. Fully hydrogenated oil is hard to buy, is more expensive and is usually solid at room temperature. So, not very useful for the candy industry which wants the oil to be liquid, cheap and with long-shelf life. Coconut oil is great but it is not cheap, otherwise we would have been bathing in coconut oil candy by now. Palm oil is the second best thing in commercial usage but the industry still prefer the partially hydrogenated oils or just plain PUFA oils with added vitamin E.
Thanks. Well, I haven't given in to my peanut butter love as of late, and I am doing an experiment to avoid the PUFAS completely. Originally I was going to mix the peanut butter with coconut oil as a compromise, but thought, eh, I'll just go all the way and not eat the peanut butter for a while. But if someone has to have their peanut butter fix, mixing it with the coconut oil seems like a decent trade off.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals