Saturated Fat Improves My Verbal Fluency

stsfut

I could describe my issues as a stutter but more accurately I would say I lack verbal fluency. I have noticed after having saturated fat (beef, butter, etc) I become much more verbally fluent. Taking thyroid medication also has been a huge help to it. I wish I could get to the bottom of my fluency issues. It can be downright difficult for me to talk at times. I have a great job and a master’s degree as well, so I don’t doubt my intelligence.

Anders86

Great! I struggle myself. Will be making some latte with Cacao butter to try out. Changed my diet to very high carb this week and I find I continously search for words.. I know that GABA helps, like Niacinamide. But that would interfere with fatloss .

RobertJM

I think it's GABA related. Whenever I have abused GABAergic compounds (I'm talking drugs), and I inevitably endure the withdrawal period that follows, I can really trip over my words and I become on the fringes of stutters. Sometimes I can't even get a word out and I either have to avoid the word and change direction in what I am saying, or I just abandon it and take 5 minutes.

Drinking too much coffee (which I also do each day), can also aggravate this state for me. But taking taurine at the same time helps a lot.

Back in the day when I used to take piracetam, and the stuff made me hypomanic, my verbal fluency was off the scale (well, that was my personal interpretation of it at the time, haha). Piracetam is supposed to enhance how the left and right areas of the brain work together.

OP
S

stsfut

Great! I struggle myself. Will be making some latte with Cacao butter to try out. Changed my diet to very high carb this week and I find I continously search for words.. I know that GABA helps, like Niacinamide. But that would interfere with fatloss .
I would like to try Cacao butter sometimes. Seems very Peaty and very tastey :)

But back to my issue, I know stress is definitely involved. I can talk to myself, family and wife with perfectly fluency 99.9% of time. Talking to boss, hot or miss. Sometimes I feel like I can handle the stress of speaking with perfect fluency, other times the stress shuts me down and I am choking trying to get a sentence out. I am tempted to try pregnenolone as I have seen some success with that.

OP
S

stsfut

I think it's GABA related. Whenever I have abused GABAergic compounds and I inevitably endure the withdrawal period that follows I can really trip over my words and I become on the fringes of stutters. Sometimes I can't even get a word out and I either have to avoid the word and change direction in what I am saying, or I just abandon it and take 5 minutes.

Drinking too much coffee (which I also do each day) can also aggravate this state for me. But taking taurine at the same time helps a lot.

Back in the day when I used to take piracetam, and the stuff made me hypomanic, my verbal fluency was off the scale (well, that was my personal interpretation of it at the time, haha). Piracetam is supposed to enhance how the left and right areas of the brain work together.
Thanks for the reply. By off the scale, do you mean good or bad? Regarding gaba, alcohol definitely has an effect on me. If I get into my sweet zone of a buzz, I can talk to anyone with perfect fluency. I try not relying on this though because no one likes a pathetic alcoholic.

RobertJM

I've also noticed that higher fat intake (mostly from saturated) improve how I deliver sentences. I don't speed up and trip over words like what happens on a lower fat diet.

But in lower fat my mood is ten times better, my energy is better, my bowel movements improve and I stop putting on weight.

So I feel better on low fat, but it doesn't benefit my verbal fluency. Similar to the OP here.

Vinero

Alcohol ofcourse is helpful to increase verbal fluency, but has unwanted side effects. Dark chocolate also tends to give me a buzz and I get very talkative. Dark chocolate (which is high in cocoa butter) seems very dopaminergic to me, almost like alcohol but without the drowsiness.

RobertJM

Thanks for the reply. By off the scale, do you mean good or bad? Regarding gaba, alcohol definitely has an effect on me. If I get into my sweet zone of a buzz, I can talk to anyone with perfect fluency. I try not relying on this though because no one likes a pathetic alcoholic.

Off the scale as in a hypomanic reaction. So words rolling off the tongue. Great focus in what I am saying, and I seemed to be creative. I never really chat girl's up, but there I was making them laugh. But I crashed fast on piracetam. That high lasted four weeks. I wouldn't recommend it.

I also find green tea useful for GABA type effects as well, which confuses me as it's theanine content is so low per cup. But definitely helps my speech.

OP
S

stsfut

I’m hesitant to try to do anything that directly alters my gaba. Something about it just worries me. I have been trying to improve through hormones and diet as I think that’s the key. (not saying that’s what your strategy is, just saying that’s where I’m at with this battle). There have been times where I have acheived perfect fluency for months at a time. It really is mind-boggling.

OP
S

stsfut

Anyone else with these issues have high iron issues?

ddjd

I could describe my issues as a stutter but more accurately I would say I lack verbal fluency. I have noticed after having saturated fat (beef, butter, etc) I become much more verbally fluent. Taking thyroid medication also has been a huge help to it. I wish I could get to the bottom of my fluency issues. It can be downright difficult for me to talk at times. I have a great job and a master’s degree as well, so I don’t doubt my intelligence.
Have you tried creatine. It's meant to be very very important for verbal fluency

YourUniverse

Ive noticed a link between my digestion and verbal fluency - better digestion, better fluency. This could be for a number of reasons, like low serotonin (which we know is formed in the gut) or lack of ulcerations. I want to explore your idea of saturated fat and fluency.

We know that stress causes tissue ulceration - little cuts in the lining of the gut. We know that saturated fat is protective of the gut lining, and against endotoxemia. You noted that you speak less fluently under stress - I do too. I wonder if stress causes little ulcerations, permitting endotoxin (or something else) into the blood, which gets bandaged by dietary saturated fat.

A few days ago felt enormous stress, and I craved something heavy - "cheese and egger" from A&W. My diet is roughly 5% fat otherwise.

I notice improvements from digestion overall, you notice improvements from saturated fat. I wonder if they are the same problem, seen from different angles. I will add more saturated fat and go from there.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
S

stsfut

I see this issue is more common than I thought. And not surprisingly much more common in males. I can’t wait until the day I solve this and eradicate the issue completely.

Anders86

Ive noticed a link between my digestion and verbal fluency - better digestion, better fluency. This could be for a number of reasons, like low serotonin (which we know is formed in the gut) or lack of ulcerations. I want to explore your idea of saturated fat and fluency.

We know that stress causes tissue ulceration - little cuts in the lining of the gut. We know that saturated fat is protective of the gut lining, and against endotoxemia. You noted that you speak less fluently under stress - I do too. I wonder if stress causes little ulcerations, permitting endotoxin (or something else) into the blood, which gets bandaged by dietary saturated fat.

A few days ago felt enormous stress, and I craved something heavy - "cheese and egger" from A&W. My diet is roughly 5% fat otherwise.

I notice improvements from digestion overall, you notice improvements from saturated fat. I wonder if they are the same problem, seen from different angles. I will add more saturated fat and go from there.

Thanks for sharing.

As with changing to high-carb this week I have also eaten my carrot salat late, 2 hours before sleep. I usually eat my carrots around noon and then some Cascara later if I feel the need. So this might be on the nose! :emoji_dart:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals