Saturated Fat Causes Heart Disease. If You Are Hypothyroid

TheSir

"Atherosclerosis affects only herbivores. Dogs, cats, tigers, and lions can be saturated with fat and cholesterol, and atherosclerotic plaques do not develop (1, 2). The only way to produce atherosclerosis in a carnivore is to take out the thyroid gland; then, for some reason, saturated fat and cholesterol have the same effect as in herbivores."
Twenty questions on atherosclerosis

Assuming that man is somewhere between carnivores and herbivores, could this explain the contradictory research on the eternal question regarding saturated fat & heart disease? Could it be that saturated fat both is and isn't harmful to vascular health depending on the health of one's thyroid?

lvysaur

I think so, but aren't all the saturated fat studies simply association studies?

And so a diet that is high in "saturated fat" is likely high in other things (like iron from beef) which cause disease.

"Atherosclerosis affects only herbivores. Dogs, cats, tigers, and lions can be saturated with fat and cholesterol, and atherosclerotic plaques do not develop (1, 2). The only way to produce atherosclerosis in a carnivore is to take out the thyroid gland; then, for some reason, saturated fat and cholesterol have the same effect as in herbivores."

Assuming that man is somewhere between carnivores and herbivores, could this explain the contradictory research on the eternal question regarding saturated fat & heart disease? Could it be that saturated fat both is and isn't harmful to vascular health depending on the health of one's thyroid?

The uneven fatty acid profile is what does those poor rodents in, butter is not a saturated fat, metabolic researchers do not seem to understand that sometimes, all animal fats are mixtures of 1 : 1 SAT : MONO, and only coconut oil is mostly saturated. Milkfat is skewed slightly towards more saturation though. All aberrations of lipid profiles can damage the circulatory system, including excess and lack of pufa, and false ratios.

Vinny

Very interesting!

yerrag

The author builds the case for lowering cholesterol to below 150. Apparently the current guideline of 200 is not enough for him. He also says statins are the safest kind of drugs. He conveniently leaves out the fact that cholesterol is the precursor for hormones that are very, very important in providing the balance in the body.

TheSir

The author builds the case for lowering cholesterol to below 150. Apparently the current guideline of 200 is not enough for him. He also says statins are the safest kind of drugs. He conveniently leaves out the fact that cholesterol is the precursor for hormones that are very, very important in providing the balance in the body.
Yeah I don't care for the rest of the article either, just thought that the part I quoted was interesting.

They make their own vitamin C.
Seeing how mammals produce ascorbic acid in the liver, how does this relate to the consequences of thyroid removal in your view?

Kvothe

Where is the evidence for their statement? There is no reference. Besides, taking out the thyroid will cause atherosclerosis in any animal regardless of what they eat.

Mito

Yeah I don't care for the rest of the article either, just thought that the part I quoted was interesting.

Seeing how mammals produce ascorbic acid in the liver, how does this relate to the consequences of thyroid removal in your view?
I image it would impair their ability to synthesize ascorbic acid which according to Linus Pauling’s ideas contributes to heart disease.

yerrag

I image it would impair their ability to synthesize ascorbic acid which according to Linus Pauling’s ideas contributes to heart disease.
And for us humans, the loss of thyroid would impair the regulation of blood sugar such that we would be hyperglycemic. And in a state of hyperglycemia, it would be hard to transport ascorbic acid thru the GLUT1 transporter into the cell in the form of its oxidized form DHAA. The loss of ascorbic acid in the cell would impair glutathione recycling from GSSG back into GSH.

Vinny

And for us humans, the loss of thyroid would impair the regulation of blood sugar such that we would be hyperglycemic. And in a state of hyperglycemia, it would be hard to transport ascorbic acid thru the GLUT1 transporter into the cell in the form of its oxidized form DHAA. The loss of ascorbic acid in the cell would impair glutathione recycling from GSSG back into GSH.
And impaired glutathione recycling is projected like what?

yerrag

I don't understand what you're asking.

yerrag

GSH, the reduced form of glutathione protects the cell membrane from damage from oxidative stress. When GSH is oxidized in acting as an antioxidant, it turns into GSSH, it's oxidized form. GSSG is recycled back into GSH using NADPH.

The pentose phosphate pathway (PPP) is where NADPH is produced. DHA stimulates the PPP pathway so that a constant supply of NADPH is available for glutathione recycling.

Without reduced glutathione, the cell membrane can easily get damaged by oxidative stress.

Vinny

GSH, the reduced form of glutathione protects the cell membrane from damage from oxidative stress. When GSH is oxidized in acting as an antioxidant, it turns into GSSH, it's oxidized form. GSSG is recycled back into GSH using NADPH.

The pentose phosphate pathway (PPP) is where NADPH is produced. DHA stimulates the PPP pathway so that a constant supply of NADPH is available for glutathione recycling.

Without reduced glutathione, the cell membrane can easily get damaged by oxidative stress.
Thanks

StephanF

I posted a while ago, that I OCR'ed Dr. Burma Barnes's book on the connection of low thyroid and heart disease. Here is a link to the book:

Dropbox - Solved - The Riddle of Heart Attacks, Broda O.Barnes 1976.pdf - Simplify your life

Then I personally witnessed the complete recovery from (early?) arthritis in the caretaker of my mom, a woman in her 60s, in 2012, she had swollen finger knuckles and two stiff fingers. I had my chlorine dioxide (MMS) travel kit with me and offered it to her. She took 4 activated drops once per day and on the fifth day, the arthritis was gone. I think it comes from infected teeth or gum disease. Encouraged, I offered the same to an elderly woman, a friend of my mom, with rheumatoid arthritis, after only two days taking the 4 activated drops, she was out of pain! I kept in contact with the caretaker after the passing of my mom, even after two years, the arthritis did not return and she still took the drops. Don't expect that kind of miracle if the arthritis was long ongoing and destroyed the joints...

baccheion

Myristic and palmitic acid are more relevant than "saturated fat".

Apparently, glycation starts the chain. Then LDL oxidizes (small LDL more likely to). Then oxidized LDL finds its way to arterial walls. Then calcification and plaque formation. Etc.

Magnesium reduces plaque size. Selenium strongly opposes lipid peroxidation and glycation. Same with magnesium.

In the absence of insulin resistance, there is less of an issue with high blood sugar and fats simultaneously.

Even LDL particle count doesn't matter directly. It is more like a ticking time bomb, as it's proportional to oxidized LDL. In the event there's inflammation or other degenerative states: explosion.

Thyroid hormone is another means of increasing LDL receptor, something that increases uptake of LDL. Unsaturated fat has a similar effect. Same with.. melatonin? Etc.

There is one theory that melatonin decline with age (assumes good diet and fitness) is one of the major reasons for such issues. Melatonin is an antioxidant, opposes estrogen, suppresses insulin and cortisol, etc. Even in the event of illness/inflammation (associated with increases cholesterol), cholesterol remains stable in the presence of melatonin and DHEA.

IGF-1, DHEA, and melatonin all aid in maintaining insulin sensitivity. They also maintain collagen under skin (ie, slow wrinkles/degeneration).

Being net acidic (high PRAL) is another blow.

More carbs = more magnesium.

Vitamin K2 MK-4 is said to make the whole thing worse, while K2 MK-7 does the opposite.

Need to clip glycation by properly handling carbs. And lower lipid peroxidation.

Lower glycemic index carbs resulted in less problems.

Seems to be mainly centered around blood sugar and response to inflammation.

A perturbed sleep cycle (including the time just before and after) is likely the main source of aging and degeneration, assuming healthy diet and fitness.