Sango Coral Was The Only "Magnesium Supplement" I Noticed A Real Effect From

Motif

Anybody tried it? It really calmed me down a bit and Magnesium only never really did that for me.

I got ADD and my nerves are really weak and this was the only thing that really had an effect on that.

Maybe because of the Magnesium : calcium ratio?

I eat a lot of milk products btw.
Maybe people who claim milk depletes calcium in the body are not that wrong ?

zewe

@Motif I'm glad you're feeling good.

Isn't it expensive? Where'd you buy it from?

OP
M

Motif

I don't use it rn. I took it over a year ago, but sorry - can't remember which one it was

OP
M

Motif

Maybe it's really the Calcium in it?

I was just reading an older post where somebody claims he eats a lot of dairy products , drinks milk, but had all calcium deficiency symptoms til he took eggshell powder

yerrag

What was the magnesium:calcium ratio in coral? Seawater has more magnesium than calcium, and perhaps that is reflected in coral as well. And with that ratio, perhaps it is having a good effect on you.

Magnesium has a calming effect on nerves, and it is likely because it balances the effect of calcium. Perhaps you are deficient in magnesium relative to calcium, and this imbalance could easily lead to calcification, where calcium gets to stay inside cells, instead of constantly being pushed out of cells and be in the extracellular fluids.

And drinking milk doesn't go well with you now. Maybe appropriate magnesium supplementation, and in sufficiently therapeutic dosages would addresses the magnesium deficiency and the calcifying effects of that deficiency/imbalance.

My guess is the coral has magnesium carbonate and magnesium chloride. You could go on daily magnesium supplementation for at least 3 months, or even 6 months. I would build up slowly to 1200ml elemental magnesium daily, together with a banana after each meal to make sure there is enough potassium intake to prevent an imbalance, while continuing with needed calcium intake.

For long term use, I don't recommend magnesium chloride as the cumulative effects of a daily acidic load causes the liver and kidneys to work more, and the excessive urination causes you to lose potassium and thiamine, as well as makes you lose sleep, from having to wake up to urinate.

You need a good combination of magnesium salts to reach 100mg elemental calcium. I would get 500 mg magnesium first from 2 grams of magnesium carbonate, and the rest from magnesium glycinate and/or magnesium taurate.

I set the limit for magnesium carbonate at 2 grams, because anymore of it would eventually make your blood alkalotic, and this would again cause more urination. But you still need to be observant with your urination volume and frequency, and when alerted, you have to lower your magnesium carbonate intake.

If you want to save, you can also make your own magnesium acetate from magnesium carbonate and acetic acid. But you need to have glacial acetic acid, which is pure acetic acid, instead of simply vinegar, which is only 5% acetic acid. You need to dilute the glacial to 20% acetic acid. Then mix 1 g mgco3 with about 10 ml of the 20% acetic acid, and stir until all the mgco3 dissolves.

With all that magnesium intake, you may feel loose stools. You can counter that with calcium acetate, which you can make with calcium carbonate and 20% acetic acid, in similar fashion with the way you make magnesium acetate.

OP
M

Motif

No. Always thought about ordering it again.

Mark2020

I always liked Coral Calcium. It helps normalize your pH very quickly. I'm not sure Ray Peat ever mentions this or suggests it, but I would 100% test your salivary and urine pH regularly. It'll give you a good idea as to where you're at, health-wise. If your first urine of the day pH is below 7.0, you need to bump that up. Coral Calcium can do it, baking soda can do it, avoiding phosphorus containing foods in favor of calcium rich foods can do it. I've even found prolonged fasting can do it.

I'm telling you, pH is CRITICAL. You can also test your salivary pH as well. Some poo-poo it. It's not as accurate, they say, but I find it to be very accurate as well, as long as you test your saliva pH an hour or two away from food/drink.

If your pH is low, I GUARANTEE you that you have symptoms in your body. The lower your pH, the more symptoms you'll have, generally.