SAMe

TubZy

What is the verdict on SAMe? I know it's a methyl donor which isn't too peat friendly, but seems to have some interesting effects on liver, arthritis, nervous system, cells etc. Does anyone know if actually increases serotonin or dopamine or just a modulating effect overall on all neurotransmitters?

It was also shown to reduce aggressiveness, so I don't know if it's necessarily serotonin related since serotonin/estrogen can trigger aggressiveness.

It also seems to support cellular metabolic health.

I took it for a week a few months back and noticed an increase in mood and felt calmer, but I still can't figure out exactly why.

New Human Study Confirms Potent Antidepressant Effects of SAMe – Life Extension

Last edited:

paymanz

From its wikipedia page, apparently it can increase homocysteine which is not good.

haidut

Forum Supporter
What is the verdict on SAMe? I know it's a methyl donor which isn't too peat friendly, but seems to have some interesting effects on liver, arthritis, nervous system, cells etc. Does anyone know if actually increases serotonin or dopamine or just a modulating effect overall on all neurotransmitters?

It was also shown to reduce aggressiveness, so I don't know if it's necessarily serotonin related since serotonin/estrogen can trigger aggressiveness.

It also seems to support cellular metabolic health.

I took it for a week a few months back and noticed an increase in mood and felt calmer, but I still can't figure out exactly why.

New Human Study Confirms Potent Antidepressant Effects of SAMe – Life Extension

The fact that SAMe can cause serotonin syndrome should give one a pause.
S-adenosylmethionine
"...Taking SAMe at the same time as these drugs may increase the risk of serotonin syndrome (a potentially dangerous condition caused by having too much serotonin in your body):"
In animal studies it has been shown to greatly increase brain serotonin levels and this what led the supplement industry to label it as "antidepressant". All marketing if you ask me, but it can have some beneficial effects on liver when it is under toxic assault. The benefits to the liver stem from its ability to raise glutathione, which can be helpful when drinking alcohol. NAC is known to do the same and it is used in hospitals as antidote to acetaminophen overdose. But it does put the organism in a reduced state and as such using long term is not advisable, just like NAC.

Regina

S-adenosylmethionine
"...Taking SAMe at the same time as these drugs may increase the risk of serotonin syndrome (a potentially dangerous condition caused by having too much serotonin in your body):"
In animal studies it has been shown to greatly increase brain serotonin levels and this what led the supplement industry to label it as "antidepressant". All marketing if you ask me, but it can have some beneficial effects on liver when it is under toxic assault. The benefits to the liver stem from its ability to raise glutathione, which can be helpful when drinking alcohol. NAC is known to do the same and it is used in hospitals as antidote to acetaminophen overdose. But it does put the organism in a reduced state and as such using long term is not advisable, just like NAC.
NAC, DIM and SAMe. Phew, these are all so commonly advised by Naturopaths. (and saw palmetto)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
NAC, DIM and SAMe. Phew, these are all so commonly advised by Naturopaths
It's so sad the rampant poor health advice people often get when going the natural health route. It usually happens after a bad experience (or two or three) with conventional medicine and just adds insult to injury. And people wonder why they can't seem to get better...

OP
TubZy

TubZy

I'm not going to touch it again..thanks everyone

Daniil

S-adenosylmethionine
The link you provided is no longer available. I am very interested in what is the mechanism for increasing serotonin?
If not SAMe, how do you suggest lowering histamine levels?

Last edited: