Salt

peter88

i think id like to see the exact number, im not fond of it being a "less than" quantity but it does not prove that it is contaminated and should be avoided.
Do you personally use Morton canning salt? I think I’m going to start using it again because it’s very affordable and I’ve heard people have success with it.

RealNeat

Do you personally use Morton canning salt? I think I’m going to start using it again because it’s very affordable and I’ve heard people have success with it.
I've used it exclusively for almost 5 years

sunny

I think the lead info in salts is relatively new info. Dr. PEAT was probably not aware of it.

Peater

This article has a list of salts they say acceptable. I have been using Diamond Krystal Kosher salt. They are saying not detected with any metals.

I use this too, for the same reason. It's just what I could get here easily.

RealNeat

According to this if we consider Mortons Pickling Salt as the same salt as their iodized version, which I believe it is, it would be one of the best options of what they tested.

"All aluminum was under 2 ppm, all arsenic was 15.27 ppb or less, all cadmium was 2.56 ppb or less, all Mercury was non-detect, and all lead was 14.99 or less."

Of
which Mortons Iodized salt was listed, on their own tested the Lead is listed as less than or equal to 2 pp"M" which is 2000ppb. So Mortons own test wasn't sensitive enough to detect below the 2ppm levels but the independent test from mamavation seems to confirm that it is 14.99pp"B" or less. Which is good. One again this is assuming Mortons uses the same salt for their pickling salt AND their iodized salt.

This article has a list of salts they say acceptable. I have been using Diamond Krystal Kosher salt. They are saying not detected with any metals.

Last edited:

RealNeat

I think the lead info in salts is relatively new info. Dr. PEAT was probably not aware of it.
I think Ray was aware. He always talked about Mortons being reagent grade salt that was frequently used for precise lab experiments. On top of that legend dentist Hal Huggins confirmed the markers of people who ate Mortons salt over other salts had better levels as mentioned and cited in one of my previous comments here.

sunny

I think Ray was aware. He always talked about Mortons being reagent grade salt that was frequently used for precise lab experiments. On top of that legend dentist Hal Huggins confirmed the markers of people who ate Mortons salt over other salts had better levels as mentioned and cited in one of my previous comments here.
I was not aware he had called it reagent grade. I am hoping the diamond Krystal info is correct. It is less "salty" than Mortens canning and pickling- I prefer it.

RealNeat

I was not aware he had called it reagent grade. I am hoping the diamond Krystal info is correct. It is less "salty" than Mortens canning and pickling- I prefer it.
It's possible that they are the same

Dr. B

Isnt Mortons highly processed, contains added bleach and sulfur because of the processing done to it? I believe the iodized version even contains silicon dioxide plus some ingredient used to provide color. So even if mortons contains less lead is it truly safer than himalayan pink salt or redmonds pink salt overall

Also the himalayan and redmonds salts are basically a trace mineral supplement that contain many different trace minerals. Maybe something else in those pink salts is counteracting the lead content or it could be a different form of lead entirely in those salts? There is also the factor that those pink salts are untouched by manmade chemicals/pollution supposedly, whereas any sea based salt is going to have a bunch of pollutants. The lead factor, or even iron or other trace metals are only one minor factor out of many different variables that should be compared between different salts.

Its also not normal from my understanding for salt to be so cleanly white looking the way mortons does. If you look at an unprocessed sea salt it will have a more creamy yellow color to it. So there is something being added I would think to the mortons salt to give it that white color, plus it also has anti caking agents i believe…

I dont know if mortons is simply sea salt that’s been refined and filtered without having any additives… in that case it could possibly be better than regular sea salt but even then may not be a guarantee.. for instance whey protein concentrates more of certain toxins and nutrients while casein also concentrates more of certain other things… milk fat concentrates more of potentially harmful things that wont get concentrated in the milk protein or sugars and vice versa. If you look at certain seaweeds and different sea foods, they will also test high in certain metals… maybe from a polluted sea or maybe sea water always had those certain trace elements

RealNeat

Isnt Mortons highly processed, contains added bleach and sulfur because of the processing done to it? I believe the iodized version even contains silicon dioxide plus some ingredient used to provide color. So even if mortons contains less lead is it truly safer than himalayan pink salt or redmonds pink salt overall

Also the himalayan and redmonds salts are basically a trace mineral supplement that contain many different trace minerals. Maybe something else in those pink salts is counteracting the lead content or it could be a different form of lead entirely in those salts? There is also the factor that those pink salts are untouched by manmade chemicals/pollution supposedly, whereas any sea based salt is going to have a bunch of pollutants. The lead factor, or even iron or other trace metals are only one minor factor out of many different variables that should be compared between different salts.

Its also not normal from my understanding for salt to be so cleanly white looking the way mortons does. If you look at an unprocessed sea salt it will have a more creamy yellow color to it. So there is something being added I would think to the mortons salt to give it that white color, plus it also has anti caking agents i believe…

I dont know if mortons is simply sea salt that’s been refined and filtered without having any additives… in that case it could possibly be better than regular sea salt but even then may not be a guarantee.. for instance whey protein concentrates more of certain toxins and nutrients while casein also concentrates more of certain other things… milk fat concentrates more of potentially harmful things that wont get concentrated in the milk protein or sugars and vice versa. If you look at certain seaweeds and different sea foods, they will also test high in certain metals… maybe from a polluted sea or maybe sea water always had those certain trace elements
I'm only talking about Mortons Canning and Pickling Salt, which has sodium chloride as the ONLY ingredient. If I'm not mistaken even that homogeneously processed white salt starts out at salt mines or from seawater. I'm not sure if it's bleached, I do know that sugar can go through natural processes like bone to help purify which is not harmful. I think lead is lead and it's going to be harmful because it's not just lead from natural sources in those salts, it's also from machinery, grinding and mining. The reality is all salt is processed and redmonds salt has been caught lying about their heavy metals twice now, Himalayan salt is not to be trusted at all in my opinion, it's far too removed from our local area with too many hands in the pot for honest or ethical business. Just eat low on the food chain seafood for your trace minerals, they filter the garbage for you and have levels of nutrients that can actually help antagonize toxicity, like selenium to mercury, unlike salt.

supercoolguy

Sure do luv me some canning salt, just had some on rice crackers w/french butter.

(Since 2012 about a 1-2 box per year)

Mossy

Sure do luv me some canning salt, just had some on rice crackers w/french butter.

(Since 2012 about a 1-2 box per year)
I've been using the same amount per year, since 2017. Has to be my least expensive food item purchased, at roughly a $1.50 per 4lb box.

Dr. B

I'm only talking about Mortons Canning and Pickling Salt, which has sodium chloride as the ONLY ingredient. If I'm not mistaken even that homogeneously processed white salt starts out at salt mines or from seawater. I'm not sure if it's bleached, I do know that sugar can go through natural processes like bone to help purify which is not harmful. I think lead is lead and it's going to be harmful because it's not just lead from natural sources in those salts, it's also from machinery, grinding and mining. The reality is all salt is processed and redmonds salt has been caught lying about their heavy metals twice now, Himalayan salt is not to be trusted at all in my opinion, it's far too removed from our local area with too many hands in the pot for honest or ethical business. Just eat low on the food chain seafood for your trace minerals, they filter the garbage for you and have levels of nutrients that can actually help antagonize toxicity, like selenium to mercury, unlike salt.

Good points, also I remember reading once that tuna had a unique type of selenium that was better at filtering or counteracting mercury. It was different than selenomethionine and the common supplement forms

peter88

Good find on the diamond crystal salt. I saw it at my local store and tastes great and it’s cheap.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals