SALT

iLoveSugar

Let's talk SALT.

Is there anyone here that had health issues disappear when upping their salt intake? If so, could you please elaborate?

J

j.

Better sleep.

Also, aldosterone is a stress hormone associated with kidney disease, and this hormone is suppressed by salt, so if doesn't give you high blood pressure, it's good to consume salt for this reason.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I recently had Aldosterone tested, and it seemed on the low side of things.

superhuman

ive tried upping my salt inntake but all i got was more water retention.

I struggle a bit with water retention from before so salt should help with it but it didnt help in my case. I tried 2 tsp a day
I know some say 2-4 TBS but that is ALOT and im not sure i would be able to down that much but if some people did it and got ridd of their water retention etc i would gladly do it :D

OP
I

iLoveSugar

superhuman said:
ive tried upping my salt inntake but all i got was more water retention.

I struggle a bit with water retention from before so salt should help with it but it didnt help in my case. I tried 2 tsp a day
I know some say 2-4 TBS but that is ALOT and im not sure i would be able to down that much but if some people did it and got ridd of their water retention etc i would gladly do it :D

Have you asked RP himself, or any RP educated people as to why this may be? No answers I assume?

juanitacarlos

Yep, helped me stop peeing so much. Helps calm me when stressed. I'm a fan. But no need to overdo it. I think taste is often a good indicator. Not for everyone. But sometimes I want a lot of salt on my food, and other times it tastes yuk. So I go with that.

tomisonbottom

It helps me stay hydrated.
Before I added salt I was constantly thirsty and constantly peeing; a vicious cycle where I couldn't get my thirst quenched.
Did you read Ray's articles on salt?
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/salt.shtml

I would educate yourself on as much of his writings as you can; understanding why it works helps you to implement his ideas.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I consume very little salt but am never, ever thirsty. I could go all day without drinking.

Dan W

I used to have a midday "crash" that left me feeling terrible. It seemed greatly improved when eating a lot of early-day salt. So there's one "salt testimonial" :)

lindsay

I find salt relieves water retention for me. When I start noticing water retention, I eat a tsp. of salt (the RP approved canning & pickling salt), and usually the water retention subsides. Sometimes I need 2 or 3 tsp.'s
I have a very muscular build and part of my thyroid issue seems to be that my muscles get sore and swollen, so that might be why the salt helps (to reduce the stress).
However, since I started supplementing cynoplus, I haven't needed as much salt to regulate all this. usually just pinches in my liquids.

SaltGirl

A little bit TMI but here I go...

Upping my salt helped tremendously with hemorrhoids I got during an orthorexic part of my life. We are talking about painful bowel movements and lots and lots of blood in the stool. After upping my salt intake(after fearing it for a few months because it is "toxic") those problems suddenly went away. Then, every time I got a little blood in the poo after that I knew I had to up my salt intake and after that little lesson I haven't had any problems, whether blood or bowel movements.

Salt also helped relief my anxiety in general. I remember going to work on patch day(usually a stressful day) and being so relaxed that I was wondering why everybody was running around stressed.

Salt has also made my sleep much better and regular. I remember during my orthorexic part of my life I went to the ER and got a saline IV and at that point I knew what heaven was like. Heaven was a saline IV.

The reason I had a lot of salt problem at the time was that I thought it was a toxin(thanks media) and was also taking spironolactone prescribed by a doctor, which probably made the problem even more severe.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

SaltGirl said:

Upping my salt helped tremendously with hemorrhoids I got during an orthorexic part of my life. We are talking about painful bowel movements and lots and lots of blood in the stool. After upping my salt intake(after fearing it for a few months because it is "toxic") those problems suddenly went away. Then, every time I got a little blood in the poo after that I knew I had to up my salt intake and after that little lesson I haven't had any problems, whether blood or bowel movements.

Salt also helped relief my anxiety in general. I remember going to work on patch day(usually a stressful day) and being so relaxed that I was wondering why everybody was running around stressed.

Salt has also made my sleep much better and regular. I remember during my orthorexic part of my life I went to the ER and got a saline IV and at that point I knew what heaven was like. Heaven was a saline IV.

The reason I had a lot of salt problem at the time was that I thought it was a toxin(thanks media) and was also taking spironolactone prescribed by a doctor, which probably made the problem even more severe.

I really needed this for encouragment. I have never been big on salt. I, like you, have boatloads of blood, but since it's bright red blood, I assume from hemmroids. I have had a few colonoscopies as well to rule our cancer or anything of that nature.

tropicaldaze

A couple of years ago, while in Florida, I went on one of my periodic fruit binges, then went to the beach for a few hours. When I got back to where I was staying, felt weak and disoriented. I began eating lots of sea salt and drinking water. Felt better after a couple of hours.

Backstory: in 1989, as my dad was dying and I was taking care of him, I began to have severe headaches, feeling cold(and this was in Miami!), severe fatigue and low blood pressure. My doctor sent me to a neurologist to rule out MS. No MS or any other neuro problem. Next came bloodwork and it showed low cortisol. He put me on Florinef and everything resolved. But in 2004, I think my adrenals crashed, part from my high stress job, which I loved and being a vegetarian. My bipolar illness re-emerged, worse than ever and I've been going downhill since that time, yet the endo at the HMO I was in said my cortisol was normal, though to me, it was low normal.

I salt everything and take, maybe, a teaspoon, additionally. Aldosterone and Renin on low side but endo, at the time, glossed over it. Reading, here, that some people take several tablespoons, maybe more is better.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Can one need salt even when the serum levels show they are in mid-range?

tomisonbottom

SaltGirl said:

Hi Saltgirl,

I take spironolactone too; do you know what it's effect on salt usage is exactly?

SaltGirl

tomisonbottom said:
SaltGirl said:

Hi Saltgirl,

I take spironolactone too; do you know what it's effect on salt usage is exactly?

Spironolactone is an aldosterone blocker which means that your body will not try to hold onto salt(one of aldosterone's role in the body). This means that over time you can slowly lose more and more salt if you're not taking in enough. I almost completely ****88 up myself by taking spiro and then progesterone while not eating enough salt, but spironolactone and progesterone both inhibit aldosterone and make you excrete more salt(and calcium if I recall correctly) than your body can handle.

In regards to full disclosure I was taking spironolactone to inhibit testosterone as I was born XY.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

When you upped your salt intake, can you elaborate? You went from what to what?

J

j.

SaltGirl said:
spironolactone and progesterone both inhibit aldosterone and make you excrete more salt(and calcium if I recall correctly) than your body can handle.

If you just consume more salt, there is no problem, right? I'm talking about non-iodized salt. If you consume a lot of iodized salt you might get excess iodine.