Salt / Sodium And Hypertension

The mainstream science tells us that salt causes hypertension because sodium sucks water into the bloodstream, and with this water comes important nutrients, depriving the cells of them, making the heart have to pump harder, increasing blood force against the arterial wall, which is what hypertension is.

Ray Peat's view is that hypertension is the result of lack of blood volume, caused by lack of sodium.

Both ideas seem reasonable to me, so how to solve this cognitive dissonance (I'm having)?

P

Peatness

The salt issue is a perplexing one that I have not been able to resolve since Peating. I am starting to think that gut flora/endotoxin might be the root cause of salt sensitivity. Dr. Stasha Gominak had done research on the impact of vitamin d and B complex on gut flora. She has also looked into the effect of gut flora on insomnia. She hypothesize that sleep disorders are the cause of hypertension. Here is a passage from her website

Poor sleep causes hypertension, heart disease and stroke

The sleep disorders experts report that every American with high blood pressure has a sleep disorder in the background. Therefore the real killer in America is not the long term effects of hypertension, but the long term effects of abnormal, non-restorative sleep. Vitamin D appears to affect our sleep cycles through D receptors in the lowest part of the brain called the “brain stem”, where we control the timing and paralysis of sleep. Sleep occurs every night to allow us to heal and make repairs. It is during sleep that we make the chemicals that keep our blood pressure normal. While we sleep our arteries repair and stay smooth . The pacemaker cells in the heart repair every night so we don’t get atrial fibrillation that can lead to stroke. Several of the B vitamins play a role in heart attack and stroke. Vitamin B5 is needed to make acetylcholine, a chemical that slows the heart rate. This means that people with D/B deficiencies often have a higher heart rate. They are told that their heart racing is a “panic attack”, even though there is no reason for them to be “panicked”.

Sleep and Vitamins - RightSleep®