Salt Restriction Stimulates The Serotonergic System In Man

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:yeahthat

Effect of dietary salt restriction on urinary serotonin and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid excretion in man.
Sharma AM1, Schorr U, Thiede HM, Distler A.
Author information
Department of Internal Medicine, Universitätsklinikum Steglitz, Free University of Berlin, Germany.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To determine the effect of dietary salt restriction on urinary excretion of serotonin and its principal metabolite 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) in man.

DESIGN:
We studied 16 healthy male volunteers (age range 20-28 years) who ate a standard diet containing 20 mmol/day NaCl, to which either 220 mmol/day NaCl or placebo was added as a supplement for 1 week each, according to a randomized, single-blind crossover design.

METHODS:
Urinary excretion of serotonin, 5-HIAA, noradrenaline and vanillylmandelic acid (VMA) were measured during the low- and high-salt periods using reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography.

RESULTS:
During the low-salt diet, 24-h urinary excretion of serotonin increased by 42%, accompanied by a 52% rise in the excretion of 5-HIAA. Salt restriction also increased noradrenaline excretion by 77% and VMA excretion by 40%. Regression analysis revealed a strong positive relationship between the excretion of serotonin and of noradrenaline (r = 0.84, P < 0.001) and between that of 5-HIAA and of VMA (r = 0.74, P < 0.001).

CONCLUSIONS:
Salt restriction stimulates the serotonergic system in man. Stimulation of this system, in conjunction with the sympathetic nervous system, may contribute to renal sodium conservation during dietary salt restriction in man.

In the study it says that it increases excretion of Serotonin and 5-HIAA,maybe Salt-restriction flushes them out?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Effect of dietary salt restriction on urinary serotonin and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid excretion in man.
Sharma AM1, Schorr U, Thiede HM, Distler A.
Author information
Department of Internal Medicine, Universitätsklinikum Steglitz, Free University of Berlin, Germany.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To determine the effect of dietary salt restriction on urinary excretion of serotonin and its principal metabolite 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) in man.

DESIGN:
We studied 16 healthy male volunteers (age range 20-28 years) who ate a standard diet containing 20 mmol/day NaCl, to which either 220 mmol/day NaCl or placebo was added as a supplement for 1 week each, according to a randomized, single-blind crossover design.

METHODS:
Urinary excretion of serotonin, 5-HIAA, noradrenaline and vanillylmandelic acid (VMA) were measured during the low- and high-salt periods using reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography.

RESULTS:
During the low-salt diet, 24-h urinary excretion of serotonin increased by 42%, accompanied by a 52% rise in the excretion of 5-HIAA. Salt restriction also increased noradrenaline excretion by 77% and VMA excretion by 40%. Regression analysis revealed a strong positive relationship between the excretion of serotonin and of noradrenaline (r = 0.84, P < 0.001) and between that of 5-HIAA and of VMA (r = 0.74, P < 0.001).

CONCLUSIONS:
Salt restriction stimulates the serotonergic system in man. Stimulation of this system, in conjunction with the sympathetic nervous system, may contribute to renal sodium conservation during dietary salt restriction in man.

In the study it says that it increases excretion of Serotonin and 5-HIAA,maybe Salt-restriction flushes them out?
Maybe serotonin production is elevated during salt restriction and that is why there is more metabolite excretion.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Amazing find!!!

I wish I could find a way to raise my damn aldosteorne without using Licorice.

Beacuse each and every time, my sodium comes back LOW in blood tests.

Hence, the muscle weakness, poor pumps in the gym etc.

If anyone knows how to increase aldosterone without using licorice or potassium, please let me know.

Amazing find!!!

I wish I could find a way to raise my damn aldosteorne without using Licorice.

Beacuse each and every time, my sodium comes back LOW in blood tests.

Hence, the muscle weakness, poor pumps in the gym etc.

If anyone knows how to increase aldosterone without using licorice or potassium, please let me know.

Decreases of Sodium intake leads seemingly to paradoxical increases of Blood Sodium.

Aldosterone gets raised in Human foremost by high Potassium and low pH,then
by Sodium.Low Aldosterone could maybe be seen in Human as excessive
Na-induced K-elimination,which leads to low K availability,which leads to low Aldosterone.

Maybe Bodystores of Sodium are already high,Sodium conservation is highly efficient in Humans,
also in all Land-based(lol)animals.Increased Sodium intake above the threshold of 1000mg to 1500mg Na
increases Potassium excretion up to 2-3-fold.

For good pumps,you want a lot of K inside your cells,
and Na is reducing available K enormously,and the excess Cl of tablesalt leads to renal Bicarbonate-wasting.
You are a knowledgeable poster,info for your consideration.In the grand scheme of things,
the very old balance of very low Na and very high K still reigns,and should be the new balance again.
High Na seems so catabolic on all indexes.
Retained Na also powerfully reduces pump by decreasing physiologic and necessary eNOS,Arginase by 30%.

Last edited:

redsun

and Na is reducing available K enormously,and the excess Cl of tablesalt leads to renal Bicarbonate-wasting.

I read in several places that potassium stimulates the parasympathetic and can raise histamine and histamine can increase muscle pump and vascularity substantially. So its possible more potassium is having a role in increasing histamine which helps vascularity.

I did find that when my carb sources were rice and pasta and soda, which lack potassium my muscles were not as filled up. When I switch and increase potassium intake they swell and I also feel stronger of course which is partly because potassium helps store glycogen as well.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Decreases of Sodium intake leads seemingly to paradoxical increases of Blood Sodium.

Aldosterone gets raised in Human foremost by high Potassium and low pH,then
by Sodium.Low Aldosterone could maybe be seen in Human as excessive
Na-induced K-elimination,which leads to low K availability,which leads to low Aldosterone.

Maybe Bodystores of Sodium are already high,Sodium conservation is highly efficient in Humans,
also in all Land-based(lol)animals.Increased Sodium intake above the threshold of 1000mg to 1500mg Na
increases Potassium excretion up to 2-3-fold.

You are a knowledgeable poster,info for your consideration.In the grand scheme of things,
the very old balance of very low Na and very high K still reigns,and should be the new balance again.
High Na seems so catabolic on all indexes.
Retained Na also powerfully reduces pump by decreasing physiologic and necessary eNOS,Arginase by 30%.

Hey mate,

Thanks so much for this detailed review.

I might try utilising Cream of Tar Tar and see how it makes me feel, with a high carb meal.

I have experienced extremely good pumps from time to time when I had coconut water.

Magnesium makes me feel flat and weak, again, a major inhibitor of aldosterone.

I will keep you updated. Thanks again.

redsun

From which sources?

All whole foods generally contain lots of potassium. All fruits and vegetables, meat, dairy(if you tolerate, preferably fermented, not cheese). Vegetables that you can tolerate and enjoy eating are very good for potassium because of lower calories. Otherwise the best sources that do have some calories would be potato of any variety, yogurt, kefir, cantaloupe, bananas, oranges(or OJ). These are just a few options. Also keep in mind fresh meats(not processed) can have a good amount of potassium especially if you heavy rely on them for protein.

5 oz of lean beef sirloin tip has 544mg potassium for example. So it adds up and can play a decent part in potassium intake.