Salt Prevents Weight Gain On High Fat Diet

haidut

Forum Supporter
In yet another confirmation of Ray's ideas, this study shows that mice on a high fat diet did not gain weight when supplemented with the extra amount of 4% salt in their diet. The 4% extra dietary salt is equivalent to about 30g of extra salt for a human per day. Peat said in one of his interview that sick people got dramatically better when they increased their salt to about 2 tbsp per day, which happens to be 30g as in the rodent study. The mechanism of salt action was that it suppressed digestive efficiency.
Another interesting finding of the study was that salt seems to act like blood pressure lowering drug, since using an AT2 antagonist resulted in the same effects as higher salt intake. So, taking an AT2 antagonist, which many people do for blood pressure purposes, may be a viable option for people who cannot tolerate that much extra salt.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 114419.htm

"...The UI team started the study with the hypothesis that fat and salt, both being tasty to humans, would act together to increase food consumption and promote weight gain. They tested the idea by feeding groups of mice different diets: normal chow or high-fat chow with varying levels of salt (0.25 to 4 percent). To their surprise, the mice on the high-fat diet with the lowest salt gained the most weight, about 15 grams over 16 weeks, while animals on the high-fat, highest salt diet had low weight gain that was similar to the chow-fed mice, about 5 grams."

http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150611/ ... 11123.html
"...Dietary fats and sodium are both palatable and are hypothesized to synergistically contribute to ingestive behavior and thereby obesity. Contrary to this hypothesis, C57BL/6J mice fed a 45% high fat diet exhibited weight gain that was inhibited by increased dietary sodium content. This suppressive effect of dietary sodium upon weight gain was mediated specifically through a reduction in digestive efficiency, with no effects on food intake behavior, physical activity, or resting metabolism. Replacement of circulating angiotensin II levels reversed the effects of high dietary sodium to suppress digestive efficiency. While the AT1 receptor antagonist losartan had no effect in mice fed low sodium, the AT2 receptor antagonist PD-123,319 suppressed digestive efficiency. Correspondingly, genetic deletion of the AT2 receptor in FVB/NCrl mice resulted in suppressed digestive efficiency even on a standard chow diet. Together these data underscore the importance of digestive efficiency in the pathogenesis of obesity, and implicate dietary sodium, the renin-angiotensin system, and the AT2 receptor in the control of digestive efficiency regardless of mouse strain or macronutrient composition of the diet. These findings highlight the need for greater understanding of nutrient absorption control physiology, and prompt more uniform assessment of digestive efficiency in animal studies of energy balance."

Where has Ray spoken/written about high fat diets?

The study says nothing of the type of fat that is in purported rodent chow. Pufa, mufa, of safa? I have a hunch that the small intestine and gall bladder system of rodents is very different to that of the human.

Ray once said "all of the studies done on melatonin were done on rats, and it turns out that rats do most of their work during the night, where as we do ours during the day, so you can't equate those melatonin studies on humans."

Could it be that melatonin isn't the only thing to discount from rodent to human studies?

Nicholas

one thing i have wondered for a while is if excess sodium causes issues the way salt deficiency causes issues.... am i mistaken that salt deficiency is much more problematic than salt excess?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Westside PUFAs said:
Where has Ray spoken/written about high fat diets?

The study says nothing of the type of fat that is in purported rodent chow. Pufa, mufa, of safa? I have a hunch that the small intestine and gall bladder system of rodents is very different to that of the human.

Ray once said "all of the studies done on melatonin were done on rats, and it turns out that rats do most of their work during the night, where as we do ours during the day, so you can't equate those melatonin studies on humans."

Could it be that melatonin isn't the only thing to discount from rodent to human studies?

I don't see anything in my post that talks about the type of fat. So, I am not bashing PUFA or any other fat at least in this post. The study is about the effects of high salt intake on weight when on high fat diet. Ray has said numerous times that high fat diet is not optimal, leads to weight gain (i.e. his comments about the full fat milk), and even if the fat is saturated burning fat represents stress metabolism.
Ray has written about the benefits of increasing salt intake and that is what my post is about. I guess the study suggests that it is not the pro-metabolic effects of salt that are beneficial but the reduction in digestive efficiency. What the study does do is support Ray's statements of beneficial effects from 15g - 30g of salt per day.

RPDiciple

30g of salt, that is ALOT. How can one eat that much and find it taste good. Potatoes you can salt a ton but foods like fruit, milk etc does not taste good with alot of salt.

nikotrope

But reduction of digestive efficiency is a bad thing, so in this case it's not really beneficial.

RPDiciple said:
30g of salt, that is ALOT. How can one eat that much and find it taste good. Potatoes you can salt a ton but foods like fruit, milk etc does not taste good with alot of salt.

Eat a ***t load of curry.

kreeese

its true I eat a very high fat diet all Peat foods 60 to 65% of my daily intake Mostly saturated I also eat lots of sugar and SALT losing all kinds of weight and fat...Its not just the salt however...

LUH 3417

its true I eat a very high fat diet all Peat foods 60 to 65% of my daily intake Mostly saturated I also eat lots of sugar and SALT losing all kinds of weight and fat...Its not just the salt however...
women is the salt of the earth?

Syncopated

Water causes water weight gain from eating larger amounts, or any salt. Paul Bragg, Clint Eastwood, Jack Lalanne and Bruce Willis never ate so much as a grain of salt.

I put Hunt's tomatoes sauce on my raw ground beef last night with italien spices and it was delicious!

LUH 3417

Water causes water weight gain from eating larger amounts, or any salt. Paul Bragg, Clint Eastwood, Jack Lalanne and Bruce Willis never ate so much as a grain of salt.

I put Hunt's tomatoes sauce on my raw ground beef last night with italien spices and it was delicious!
Paul bragg also developed liquid aminos. Just saying.

kreeese

SALT IS THE GREATEST THING ON EARTH ....LOOK AT THE OCEANS.....THE HUMAN BODY.....SALT IS SIMPLY THE GREATEST I HAVE INCREASED MY SALT INTAKE GREATLY AND LOST MOST OF MY BODYFAT BECAUSE OF IT!!! SALT SUGAR FAT AND COKE FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Serotoninja

SALT IS THE GREATEST THING ON EARTH ....LOOK AT THE OCEANS.....THE HUMAN BODY.....SALT IS SIMPLY THE GREATEST I HAVE INCREASED MY SALT INTAKE GREATLY AND LOST MOST OF MY BODYFAT BECAUSE OF IT!!! SALT SUGAR FAT AND COKE FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
sugar or cocaine? your energy is disturbing