Salt Increases Thermogenesis

Yes there is a salt appetite. And salt helps increase body temperature.

Cold-induced salt intake in mice and catecholamine, renin and thermogenesis mechanisms. - PubMed - NCBI

Cold induces increased intake of salt in mice. To examine involvement of renin and catecholamines, male ICR mice were exposed to cold (7-9 degrees C; 6 h/day; 4 days), and half of them were allowed to choose between water and 0.9% NaCl.

Plasma renin activity (PRA) and catecholamine concentrations in plasma, adrenal gland, kidney, brown adipose tissue (BAT) and brain were examined in three phases: for 9 h before exposure to cold, during 6 h of cold exposure and for 9 h after the exposure.

The amount of salt intake from NaCl solution and from food, PRA and noradrenaline (NE) concentrations in kidney and medulla oblongata were higher during cold and the 9 h after exposure to cold than during the 9 h before the exposure.

These results are consistent with the suggestion that cold induced catecholamine metabolism enhanced activity in the renin-angiotensin system, which played an important role in the arousal of salt appetite.

During cold exposure, concentrations of NE and dopamine in BAT were higher in mice with access to NaCl solution than those without NaCl to drink. These results suggest that cold-induced salt intake enhanced non-shivering thermogenesis, and are consistent with our previous report that high salt intake helped to maintain colonic temperature under cold exposure.

Velve921

So I've increased my salt intake immensely for the first time. Yesterday I tried 6 teaspoons.

It's sending me to the toilet hourly. But, they are healthy #2s. And it's create intense rumbling in my belly. Kind of like it's unlocking a lot of built up tension. Last night when I was laying in bed my belly was basically trembling non stop.

Can anyone relate?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
So I've increased my salt intake immensely for the first time. Yesterday I tried 6 teaspoons.

It's sending me to the toilet hourly. But, they are healthy #2s. And it's create intense rumbling in my belly. Kind of like it's unlocking a lot of built up tension. Last night when I was laying in bed my belly was basically trembling non stop.

Can anyone relate?

I do notice it does help with appetite and digestion.

Jib

I always feel better with high salt intake, especially in the winter. It's absolutely true. That's actually the first thing I go for in the winter if I'm trying to warm up, and it works every time.

I used to drink miso broth regularly. Like it a lot. Also, salty broths are excellent in the middle of working out. Seems to help strength and endurance. I will emphasize however not to make the mistake I did: make sure to get a lot of calories in as well. A lot of times I was in a semi-fasted (hypocaloric) state, and thought a lot of salt would help. It barely does. It does a little bit, but high calories + high salt make a much bigger difference. For a while I thought high salt could be a solution to the stress induced by fasting, but in my experience it didn't help much.

Slightly! But not enough to shut down the stress hormone cascade. Sufficient calories *and* salt together seem to be the only things that can really do that effectively. Though if you're getting adequate calories from all your meals, broths inbetween meals can be great. Unfortunately I'd find oxtail broth or other highly gelatinous broths would give me digestive upset and send me to the bathroom pretty quickly. Still haven't figured that one out yet. Might simply be a tolerance issue and have to drink more concentrated amounts in small portions.

baccheion

I always feel better with high salt intake, especially in the winter. It's absolutely true. That's actually the first thing I go for in the winter if I'm trying to warm up, and it works every time.

I used to drink miso broth regularly. Like it a lot. Also, salty broths are excellent in the middle of working out. Seems to help strength and endurance. I will emphasize however not to make the mistake I did: make sure to get a lot of calories in as well. A lot of times I was in a semi-fasted (hypocaloric) state, and thought a lot of salt would help. It barely does. It does a little bit, but high calories + high salt make a much bigger difference. For a while I thought high salt could be a solution to the stress induced by fasting, but in my experience it didn't help much.

Slightly! But not enough to shut down the stress hormone cascade. Sufficient calories *and* salt together seem to be the only things that can really do that effectively. Though if you're getting adequate calories from all your meals, broths inbetween meals can be great. Unfortunately I'd find oxtail broth or other highly gelatinous broths would give me digestive upset and send me to the bathroom pretty quickly. Still haven't figured that one out yet. Might simply be a tolerance issue and have to drink more concentrated amounts in small portions.
How much potassium and salt? Magnesium and calcium?

Ableton

What I don’t understand is how hunter gatherers or even ppl in early agricultural societies got their salt. There is some salt in animal blood but surely it’s nowhere near western diet salt consumption, and definitely far from megadoses advocated for here

is salt a hack to counter our bad environment?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals