Salt Increases Adrenaline Study

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by Barry Obummer, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer Member

Excess salt stimulates production of adrenalin and causes hypertension

This study is saying that salt doesn't increase blood pressure due to increased blood volume, but actually by increasing adrenaline which constricts capillaries. This doesn't make sense to me. This is the only study I could find on the internet saying this, which is strange. I would imagine there would be some follow up studies if this was really true.

2. NathanK

NathanK Member

Ive found excessive salt increases my adrenaline so this is interesting. Is it a fact that adrenaline increases BP physiologically?

Trying to make a correlation, but I wonder if people with hypertension suffer from as much high adrenaline as hardening of the arteries.

3. OP
    Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer Member

This is only anecdotal evidence but several people on this forum say that they have problems with uncomfortably hot hands and feet from too much salt. When they reduced salt it went away. This would seem to contradict the above study, since it would be impossible to have warm hands with constricted capillaries (I think.)
    Excessive HOT FEET and Hands - Nerve conditions - Condition | Our Health

I assume Dr. Peat agrees that salt increases blood volume since he says restricted salt diets cause stiffness of the vascular system. The above study just kind of made me more confused.

There also this study that says salt lowers temperature and maintains there are certain "salt resistant" people who's BP is not affected by salt. New Study Identifies Possible Cause of Salt-induced Hypertension - School of Medicine - Case Western Reserve University

4. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

But where's the article? When you eat salt you make the action of the aldosterone system not needed anymore, but it will still be there for a while. So you will be stuck with too much pressure for a while.

5. OP
    Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer Member

Huh? Excess salt stimulates production of adrenalin and causes hypertension

6. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

7. haidut

haidut Member

In one the studies published by this couple they describe this process:
    "...Rats were rendered hypertensive by subtotal nephrectomy and 1% saline as drinking water. They had then a small cannula implanted stereotaxically in the left lateral cerebral ventricle and a radiotelemetry probe for constant BP and heart rate recording implanted around the aorta."

So, two things. First, I don't think removing most of the kidneys counts as a viable model of a healthy person eating salt. If a person has their kidneys removed they will get hypertension even on a very low salt diet as there would be no way to regulate the excretion. Second, the 1% salt in diet is equivalent to about 15g for a human, which is the highest Ray has ever mentioned and in general he has said to salt to taste.

8. OP
    Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer Member

I am not biologically literate so I am not questioning you, but can you please clarify how this ties into adrenaline? Are you saying the rats would have gotten Hypertension regardless so adrenaline levels are irrelevant?

9. OP
    Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer Member

10. paymanz

paymanz Member

its important to take salt just to taste(s dr peat says), not excess!
    in some of the studies done on rats and other animals they mix salt into water and food of animals so they cant choice to eat to they taste.so they eat in excess salt which for sure is a stress.

11. haidut

haidut Member

Well, at the very least I am saying this is not a very valid model of salt-induced hypertension. The equivalent of this would be to remove people' kidneys and feed them 15g of salt and then say "see, your blood pressure is up". And also nephrectomy apparently raises renin and aldosterone, which will of course raise blood pressure independently of salt.
    Mechanisms by which nephrectomy stimulates adrenal renin.
    "...In conclusion, three factors influence the response of adrenal renin to nephrectomy: 1) the pituitary through the release of ACTH, 2) a direct stimulation by high plasma potassium levels, 3) the lack of angiotensin II feedback inhibition. Whether the high adrenal renin contributes to the high aldosterone observed in rats after nephrectomy remains to be established."

Google "rening blood pressure" and "aldosterone blood pressure" for info on how these two raise blood pressure.

12. haidut

haidut Member

13. OP
    Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer Member

Ok, thanks. There's a bodybuilder, coach, and nutrition PhD named Layne Norton who talks about salt restriction being bad for competition. I read his article so I understand a little about how renin/aldosterone works. You probably know all this but maybe it would be interesting to see how it applies in this sport competition context - Where the "rubber meets the road" so to speak.
    Layne Norton Peak Week: Water & Sodium

14. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

I find a bit of salt lowers adrenaline when I wake up if I wake up with a strong beating heart and a racing feeling. Maybe too much salt has the opposite effect, but about 1/4 teaspoon of salt seems to really help.

15. Peater Piper

Peater Piper Member

I know adding a teaspoon a day of salt increased my blood pressure and heart rate. I don't know if it was adrenaline or not. Potassium rich foods mitigated it to some degree. Salt sensitivity seems to run in my family, and I rarely crave it unless I've been sweating a lot.

16. Parsifal

Parsifal Member

When I've started to add some sodium in my diet after avoiding it like poison for many years it was a bit hypertensive at first, maybe because I had oedema and that it removed it. Now I only get a slight hypertension if I take too much fluids.

17. OP
    Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer Member

Maybe you were hypertensive at first because you veins and capillaries were stiff and eventually loosened up to accommodate more blood volume. I think peat might have said something about that.

18. Birdie

Birdie Member

Thanks. Gonna put salt by the bed for morning use.
    Been using it at bedtime, again.... after slowly taking up old habits and forgetting to do it for a year.