Salt Increases Adrenaline Study

Barry Obummer

Excess salt stimulates production of adrenalin and causes hypertension

This study is saying that salt doesn't increase blood pressure due to increased blood volume, but actually by increasing adrenaline which constricts capillaries. This doesn't make sense to me. This is the only study I could find on the internet saying this, which is strange. I would imagine there would be some follow up studies if this was really true.

NathanK

Ive found excessive salt increases my adrenaline so this is interesting. Is it a fact that adrenaline increases BP physiologically?

Trying to make a correlation, but I wonder if people with hypertension suffer from as much high adrenaline as hardening of the arteries.

OP
Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer

This is only anecdotal evidence but several people on this forum say that they have problems with uncomfortably hot hands and feet from too much salt. When they reduced salt it went away. This would seem to contradict the above study, since it would be impossible to have warm hands with constricted capillaries (I think.)
Excessive HOT FEET and Hands - Nerve conditions - Condition | Our Health

I assume Dr. Peat agrees that salt increases blood volume since he says restricted salt diets cause stiffness of the vascular system. The above study just kind of made me more confused.

There also this study that says salt lowers temperature and maintains there are certain "salt resistant" people who's BP is not affected by salt. New Study Identifies Possible Cause of Salt-induced Hypertension - School of Medicine - Case Western Reserve University

But where's the article? When you eat salt you make the action of the aldosterone system not needed anymore, but it will still be there for a while. So you will be stuck with too much pressure for a while.

OP
Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer

But where's the article? When you eat salt you make the action of the aldosterone system not needed anymore, but it will still be there for a while. So you will be stuck with too much pressure for a while.
Huh? Excess salt stimulates production of adrenalin and causes hypertension
A review article by researchers at Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) debunks the widely-believed concept that hypertension, or high blood pressure, is the result of excess salt causing an increased blood volume, exerting extra pressure on the arteries. Published online in the Journal of Hypertension, the study demonstrates that excess salt stimulates the sympathetic nervous system to produce adrenalin, causing artery constriction and hypertension.
The research was led by Irene Gavras, MD, and Haralambos Gavras, MD, both professors of medicine at BUSM.
"The purpose of this paper is to correct an erroneous concept that has prevailed for many years, even though scientific evidence has mounted against it," said Irene Gavras, who is also a physician in Boston Medical Center's Hypertension practice.
The term "volume-expanded hypertension" implies that excess salt leads to the retention of extra fluid within the arterial circulatory system, causing an increase in blood volume and added pressure on the arterial walls. However, research has shown that conditions characterized by the expansion of blood volume from other causes, such as the secretion of antidiuretic hormone or the excessive elevation of blood sugar, do not cause a rise in blood pressure because the extra fluid is accommodated by the distention of capillaries and veins.

"The body's circulatory system is a highly flexible vascular system with the capacity to open up new capillaries and distend veins in order to accommodate increased fluid volume," said Irene Gavras.
Through a review of numerous studies, the researchers demonstrated that the mechanism of hypertension resulting from the excessive consumption and retention of salt stimulates the sympathetic nervous system in the brain to increase adrenaline production. The increased adrenalin being circulated throughout the body causes the arteries to constrict, which results in resistance to blood flow and a decrease in circulatory volume.
The over-activation of the sympathetic nervous system - part of the autonomic nervous system that helps maintain the body's homeostasis - has been recognized clinically as a characteristic of hypertension that accompanies renal failure, which is the most typical example of elevated blood pressure from excessive salt retention. Diuretics, which remove excess salt, are widely used to treat this type of hypertension. However, this study provides convincing evidence that the sympathetic nervous system should be the focus of further investigations into treatments for hypertension.
"The implication of our findings shows that the optimal treatment for hypertension, for cases associated with renal failure, should not only include diuretics but also the use of drugs that block the central sympathetic nervous system," said Irene Gavras.

haidut

Forum Supporter
In one the studies published by this couple they describe this process:
"...Rats were rendered hypertensive by subtotal nephrectomy and 1% saline as drinking water. They had then a small cannula implanted stereotaxically in the left lateral cerebral ventricle and a radiotelemetry probe for constant BP and heart rate recording implanted around the aorta."

So, two things. First, I don't think removing most of the kidneys counts as a viable model of a healthy person eating salt. If a person has their kidneys removed they will get hypertension even on a very low salt diet as there would be no way to regulate the excretion. Second, the 1% salt in diet is equivalent to about 15g for a human, which is the highest Ray has ever mentioned and in general he has said to salt to taste.

OP
Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer

In one the studies published by this couple they describe this process:
"...Rats were rendered hypertensive by subtotal nephrectomy and 1% saline as drinking water. They had then a small cannula implanted stereotaxically in the left lateral cerebral ventricle and a radiotelemetry probe for constant BP and heart rate recording implanted around the aorta."

So, two things. First, I don't think removing most of the kidneys counts as a viable model of a healthy person eating salt. If a person has their kidneys removed they will get hypertension even on a very low salt diet as there would be no way to regulate the excretion. Second, the 1% salt in diet is equivalent to about 15g for a human, which is the highest Ray has ever mentioned and in general he has said to salt to taste.

I am not biologically literate so I am not questioning you, but can you please clarify how this ties into adrenaline? Are you saying the rats would have gotten Hypertension regardless so adrenaline levels are irrelevant?

paymanz

its important to take salt just to taste(s dr peat says), not excess!
in some of the studies done on rats and other animals they mix salt into water and food of animals so they cant choice to eat to they taste.so they eat in excess salt which for sure is a stress.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am not biologically literate so I am not questioning you, but can you please clarify how this ties into adrenaline? Are you saying the rats would have gotten Hypertension regardless so adrenaline levels are irrelevant?

Well, at the very least I am saying this is not a very valid model of salt-induced hypertension. The equivalent of this would be to remove people' kidneys and feed them 15g of salt and then say "see, your blood pressure is up". And also nephrectomy apparently raises renin and aldosterone, which will of course raise blood pressure independently of salt.
Mechanisms by which nephrectomy stimulates adrenal renin.
"...In conclusion, three factors influence the response of adrenal renin to nephrectomy: 1) the pituitary through the release of ACTH, 2) a direct stimulation by high plasma potassium levels, 3) the lack of angiotensin II feedback inhibition. Whether the high adrenal renin contributes to the high aldosterone observed in rats after nephrectomy remains to be established."

Google "rening blood pressure" and "aldosterone blood pressure" for info on how these two raise blood pressure.

haidut

Forum Supporter
OP
Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer

Well, at the very least I am saying this is not a very valid model of salt-induced hypertension. The equivalent of this would be to remove people' kidneys and feed them 15g of salt and then say "see, your blood pressure is up". And also nephrectomy apparently raises renin and aldosterone, which will of course raise blood pressure independently of salt.
Mechanisms by which nephrectomy stimulates adrenal renin.
"...In conclusion, three factors influence the response of adrenal renin to nephrectomy: 1) the pituitary through the release of ACTH, 2) a direct stimulation by high plasma potassium levels, 3) the lack of angiotensin II feedback inhibition. Whether the high adrenal renin contributes to the high aldosterone observed in rats after nephrectomy remains to be established."

Google "rening blood pressure" and "aldosterone blood pressure" for info on how these two raise blood pressure.

Ok, thanks. There's a bodybuilder, coach, and nutrition PhD named Layne Norton who talks about salt restriction being bad for competition. I read his article so I understand a little about how renin/aldosterone works. You probably know all this but maybe it would be interesting to see how it applies in this sport competition context - Where the "rubber meets the road" so to speak.
Layne Norton Peak Week: Water & Sodium

I find a bit of salt lowers adrenaline when I wake up if I wake up with a strong beating heart and a racing feeling. Maybe too much salt has the opposite effect, but about 1/4 teaspoon of salt seems to really help.

Peater Piper

Ive found excessive salt increases my adrenaline so this is interesting.
I know adding a teaspoon a day of salt increased my blood pressure and heart rate. I don't know if it was adrenaline or not. Potassium rich foods mitigated it to some degree. Salt sensitivity seems to run in my family, and I rarely crave it unless I've been sweating a lot.

Parsifal

When I've started to add some sodium in my diet after avoiding it like poison for many years it was a bit hypertensive at first, maybe because I had oedema and that it removed it. Now I only get a slight hypertension if I take too much fluids.

OP
Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer

When I've started to add some sodium in my diet after avoiding it like poison for many years it was a bit hypertensive at first, maybe because I had oedema and that it removed it. Now I only get a slight hypertension if I take too much fluids.
Maybe you were hypertensive at first because you veins and capillaries were stiff and eventually loosened up to accommodate more blood volume. I think peat might have said something about that.

Birdie

I find a bit of salt lowers adrenaline when I wake up if I wake up with a strong beating heart and a racing feeling. Maybe too much salt has the opposite effect, but about 1/4 teaspoon of salt seems to really help.
Thanks. Gonna put salt by the bed for morning use.
Been using it at bedtime, again.... after slowly taking up old habits and forgetting to do it for a year.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals