Salt Enhances/potentiates GABA

The study is a bit specific but it shows in essence that GABA is dependent on salt (sodium chloride) to function, and that the strength of GABA activation in the mammalian body can be controlled to an extent by controlling salt intake. It also is another piece of evidence showing the comprehensive view Ray has, and that it's all connected. 8% salt (which I assume is weight of total food) is insane but you don't have to go that high to feel the effects.

They feed the rats different levels of salt for 3 weeks and then measured their responses to GABAergic drugs. As an example, the high salt group had a stronger response to baclofen (chlorinated phenibut) at the same dose than the low salt group.

So, up your salt intake (while keeping your diet the same but upping water to match), and you should in theory feel more relaxed.

Effect of a high-salt diet on gamma-aminobutyric acid-mediated responses in the nucleus tractus solitarius of Sprague-Dawley rats

Effect of a high-salt diet on gamma-aminobutyric acid-mediated responses in the nucleus tractus solitarius of Sprague-Dawley rats - PubMed

Abstract
Previous study using an indirect gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) agonist indicated that high salt intake enhances sensitivity of nucleus tractus solitarius (NTS) projecting inhibitory input to rostral ventrolateral medulla sympathoexcitatory neurons. We further investigated the relationship between salt intake and the GABA system in NTS. Sprague-Dawley (S-D) rats consuming high dietary salt (8%) or low dietary salt (0.3%) for 3 weeks were used. Under chloralose-anesthesia, baseline arterial pressure (AP) and heart rate (HR) were similar in both groups. Bilateral injection into NTS of nipecotic acid, GABA(A) receptor agonist (muscimol), or GABA(B) receptor agonist (baclofen) elicited greater pressor responses in high-salt group. GABA(A) receptor antagonist, bicuculline and GABA(B) receptor antagonist, CGP-35348 elicited greater depressor responses. Phenylephrine or nitroprusside (i.v.) elicited similar respective increases or decreases in AP in both groups. Baroreflex sensitivity was similar. Thus, high-salt intake enhances both GABA(A) receptor- and GABA(B) receptor-mediated responses within NTS, thereby inhibiting elevation of AP.

Geronimo

I've noticed this before. The last time I fell asleep before midnight is when I ate an obscene amount of super salty potato chips fried in coconut oil.

Last edited:
I've noticed this before. The last time I fell asleep before midnight is when I ate an obscene amount of super salty potato chips fried in coconut oil.
@GAF This thread seems to substantiate your recent post :):

Geronimo

@GAF This thread seems to substantiate your recent post :):
I usually fall asleep at around 4am while being unemcovidployed. That night I could barely walk up the stairs I was so groggy. It's far from absolute proof, but I often wondered WTF about that night because I haven't been able to get sleepy that early in the 4 months since then. Time to order some more of those chips I guess. I got them from Thrive market, which is the only reliable place I know of to get potato chips fried in coconut oil. They also make coconut oil mayo and mct salad dressings. It's pretty damn fantastic actually, really opens up a whole new world of food for us filthy peaters. I'll just make a new thread about that though. Back to the sleepy, sleepy salt. Do we think it's because of the general stress inhibitory properties of salt and GABA agonism is just downstream from that? Or is it acting directly upon GABA?

GAF

I think one has to be slightly careful with fluid intake. Too much fluid with high salt offsets benefits. The whole idea is to increase saltiness of extracellular fluid. Too much fluid equals weight gain unless metabolism is high.

OP
BigYellowLemon
I usually fall asleep at around 4am while being unemcovidployed. That night I could barely walk up the stairs I was so groggy. It's far from absolute proof, but I often wondered WTF about that night because I haven't been able to get sleepy that early in the 4 months since then. Time to order some more of those chips I guess. I got them from Thrive market, which is the only reliable place I know of to get potato chips fried in coconut oil. They also make coconut oil mayo and mct salad dressings. It's pretty damn fantastic actually, really opens up a whole new world of food for us filthy peaters. I'll just make a new thread about that though. Back to the sleepy, sleepy salt. Do we think it's because of the general stress inhibitory properties of salt and GABA agonism is just downstream from that? Or is it acting directly upon GABA?

Well, GABA works through chloride ions, and salt is half sodium and half chloride, so it does make sense in a really basic way.

When GABA activates a cell, it triggers the cell to intake chloride. So if there's more chloride in the extracellular fluid, then there'll be a stronger gradient between the cell and it's environment, and so for the same amount of GABA, there's more chloride uptake in the high salt group.

Now why chloride ions make a cell less excitable is another question.

Mauritio

That's interesting salt has an influence on 4 major neurotransmitters:

1. Serotonin
The serotonin transporter is a sodium dependent molecule. And SERT lowers serotonin , so nore salt will lead to lower serotonin levels .
(The serotonin transporter (SERT or 5-HTT) also known as the sodium-dependent serotonin transporter and solute carrier family 6 member 4 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the SLC6A4 gene.[5] SERT is a type of monoamine transporter protein that transports serotonin from the synaptic cleft back to the presynaptic neuron.[6]")

2. Dopamine
High salt diet 18g/day has been shown to increase dopamine.
(Effect of salt intake and potassium supplementation on urinary renalase and serum dopamine levels in Chinese adults - PubMed)

3. GABA
Increase in Gabaergic function as this thread explained .

4. Adrenaline
Salt lowers adrenaline and sympathetic nervous system activation .

Mauritio

Frankdee20

Makes sense because quite the few notable anticonvulsant drugs work via sodium and other mineral Chanel’s in the cell… chloride ions are also involved in the mechanism of action

Elie

Forum Supporter
That's interesting salt has an influence on 4 major neurotransmitters:

1. Serotonin
The serotonin transporter is a sodium dependent molecule. And SERT lowers serotonin , so nore salt will lead to lower serotonin levels .
(The serotonin transporter (SERT or 5-HTT) also known as the sodium-dependent serotonin transporter and solute carrier family 6 member 4 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the SLC6A4 gene.[5] SERT is a type of monoamine transporter protein that transports serotonin from the synaptic cleft back to the presynaptic neuron.[6]")

2. Dopamine
High salt diet 18g/day has been shown to increase dopamine.
(Effect of salt intake and potassium supplementation on urinary renalase and serum dopamine levels in Chinese adults - PubMed)

3. GABA
Increase in Gabaergic function as this thread explained .

4. Adrenaline
Salt lowers adrenaline and sympathetic nervous system activation .
Saw this yesterday. I remember spending a few minutes at one point looking, unsuccessfully, for studies demonstrating adrenaline reduction with salt. Do you have any?

Mauritio

Saw this yesterday. I remember spending a few minutes at one point looking, unsuccessfully, for studies demonstrating adrenaline reduction with salt. Do you have any?
That is a point i got from peat. I remember reading a quote from him that goes like: "...that is probably why salt lowers adrenaline" ,I'm not sure anymore but I think it had to with lowering aldosterone.

Anyway heres a study:

- Salt supresses baseline muscle sympathetic nerve activity in salt-sensitive and salt-resistant hypertensives - PubMed