Salt Deficient Diet Impact On Chickens

Kartoffel

Br J Nutr. 1979 Nov;42(3):547-52.
Effect of sodium chloride deficiency on basal metabolism in broiler chickens.
Walicka E, Ryś R, Koreleski J, Pietras M.
Abstract
1. Male broiler chickens were given a sodium chloride-deficient or NaCl-adequate diet from 7 to 21 d of age in Expt 1 and 28 to 56 d of age in Expt 2. 2. NaCl-deficient chickens had a markedly poorer growth and food conversion efficiency than those given the NaCl-adequate diet. 3. NaCl deficiency was associated with an increase in basal metabolic rate and increases in oxygen consumption, heat production and respiratory quotients were also noted. The glycogen content of chicken livers was also higher. 4. MEasurements of acid-base balance were found to be changed in NaCl-deficient chickens. Values for pH and bicarbonate content in blood plasma were lowered. 5. NaCl deficiency increased the packed cell volume and thyroxine level in blood plasma. Sodium and chloride contents in blood were lowered. 6. Results are discussed in relation to the decreased food conversion in NaCl-deficient chickens.

That's interesting..

griesburner

interesting as i always felt like salt gives me the most feeling of heat and increased metabolism subjectively. Sadly there are no such studies in humans?

nwo2012

Would like to see the full study as to what they were actually fed.
Perhaps chickens reach hyperchloremia very quickly. I doubt its the sodium content affecting them negatively. They shouldve had groups with KCl and CaCl for comparison.

OP
vulture

vulture

Th
interesting as i always felt like salt gives me the most feeling of heat and increased metabolism subjectively. Sadly there are no such studies in humans?
That's how I found it
I toke se salt and felt slight pulse raise and warmth, and asked myself about it