Salicylic Acid Safe For Consumption?

Lenny

Hello all,

salicylic acid can be purchased in its pure form and is cheaper than aspirin. Also salicylic acid does not contain additives. I was wonderering if salicylic acid if safe to consume with a meal or just by its own. No real answer has been given on the forum yet.

-Lenny

boris

It can irritate the gut. Aspirin in general should be taken with a meal. Optimally you would dissolve it in water! (I don't know if pure salicic acid dissolves).

You can cut down the acidity by adding some baking soda to it.

Last edited:

rei

Dear god we are being robbed. Importing medicine from outside the EU is illegal. **** this plantation.

Lenny, my impression is that salicylic acid is in general comparable to aspirin, not counting some exceptional situations where the acetyl matters. I don't remember the details.

OP
Lenny

Lenny

where are you in the world? In the USA you can get a pound of aspirin for US$10.00
Im somewhere between germany and the U.K. Here, we pay €4.50 for 20 500mg pills. Cheapers options are €2.40 for 20 500mg pills but they have dubble the additives. Pure SA would be much cheaper but I wonder if its safe to oral consumption. Purenatura sells powdered Aspirin, its cheaper then our pills might try that at one time.

AdoTintor

How much Salicylic Acid= 1 Asprin? Not sure how to figure this out. Am assuming aural consumption.

mayku-T-meelo

How much Salicylic Acid= 1 Asprin? Not sure how to figure this out. Am assuming aural consumption.

Has anyone figured this one out? I guess rough estimate for 1 g of Aspirin would be somewhere around 0.75 g of salicyllic acid? I'm basing that on molar masses of acetic acid and salicyllic acid, since salicyllic is 2x heavier than acetic, but I'm no chemist, I'm probably missing something.

purple pill

Old thread but interested in this aswell, tried to look into this, not much info though...
"Things started to change in 1852 when Professor Gerhart, of Montpellier University, decoded the molecular formula of salicylic acid (2)."
"This discovery allowed for the synthesis of salicylic acid, rather than the production of it from salicin, and at a cost 10 times less. The use of cheap salicylic
acid spread far and wide for the treatment of rheumatism, arthritis, and gout, at doses up to 6 grams per day. There is no such thing as a free lunch however, as salicylic acid has the rather severe side effect of GI irritation."

Seems Aspirin was only created to help with irritation from mega doses of salicylic acid which must have been widely used for around 50 years before aspirin came on the scene (and willow extracts for thousands of years before this). pretty sure it would be safe at lower doses, might need to guinea pig this though.

Found some accounts of doctors giving 1300mg doses of aspirin HOURLY during the spanish flu, wouldnt be surprised if doctors were doing the same with salicylic acid before Aspirin was patented.