Salicylic acid might be good for the gut health and function

Hans

Forum Supporter
Aspirin has been shown to cause intestinal bleeding in some people and that's why they generally avoid aspirin. That can easily be remedied by switching to sodium salicylate or simply salicylic acid.
But this study is not about that. It actually shows that salicylate can be beneficial for the gut, at least in rats. The dose was 50mg/kg/day, with the HED being 7.14mg/kg. That will be around 500mg for a 70kg person.

"ZDF and Zucker lean (ZL) rats were administered a high-fat diet with or without SAL intervention, and their relative rates of diabetes were compared. Our results showed that all rats in the placebo group developed diabetes, whereas only 10% of the SAL-treated rats presented with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). None of the latter progressed to diabetes. Relative to the untreated rats, SAL lowered plasma glucagon and insulin while improving insulin sensitivity and β-cell function. SAL may protect against hyperglycemia by increasing the microbial diversity, ameliorating gut dysbiosis, restoring intestinal epithelial cell connections, inhibiting endotoxin influx into the blood, and attenuating inflammation. Together, these findings suggest that SAL may be a candidate prophylactic therapy against diabetes. The protective role of SAL may be attributed to its ability to reduce intestinal inflammation and improve gut dysbiosis."

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Do you have a regular brand you use thats commercially available?
Lifegivingstore has salicylic acid. Amazon sells sodium salicylate powder so I'm sure most people can readily get it.

Mito

All the studies I've seen so far shows that it lower inflammation. How does it increase inflammation according to him?
Since this is one of his “Lite” videos, he didn’t go into all the details. He doesn’t say it increases inflammation, rather it does decrease inflammation but it leads to chronic low grade inflammation because the inflammation is started but not resolved. It’s the acetyl part of Aspirin that allows the COX enzyme to resolve the inflammation rather than completely blocking it. He says most anti-inflammatory drugs completely block the COX enzyme, but aspirin only modifies it. “Aspirin (ASA) is unique among current therapies because it acetylates cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 enabling the biosynthesis of R-containing precursors of endogenous antiinflammatory mediators.”

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Since this is one of his “Lite” videos, he didn’t go into all the details. He doesn’t say it increases inflammation, rather it does decrease inflammation but it leads to chronic low grade inflammation because the inflammation is started but not resolved. It’s the acetyl part of Aspirin that allows the COX enzyme to resolve the inflammation rather than completely blocking it. He says most anti-inflammatory drugs completely block the COX enzyme, but aspirin only modifies it. “Aspirin (ASA) is unique among current therapies because it acetylates cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 enabling the biosynthesis of R-containing precursors of endogenous antiinflammatory mediators.”
Interesting. Here's some research on that.

In contrast, some widely used drugs stimulate resolution and shorten Ri. Distinct from NSAIDs, aspirin decreases Ri by acetylating COX-2, contributing to production of the R-epimer lipoxins, resolvins, and protectins.

We report an aspirin-triggered DHA metabolome that biosynthesizes a potent product in inflammatory exudates and human leukocytes, namely aspirin-triggered Neuroprotectin D1/Protectin D1 [AT-(NPD1/PD1)]. ... These results indicate that AT-(NPD1/PD1) is a potent anti-inflammatory proresolving molecule.

Aspirin acetylation of COX-2 modifies the catalytic domain, blocking PG-biosynthesis, which is well known1,2, yet remains active producing 15R-HETE from arachidonic acid, 18R-HEPE from EPA and 17R-HDHA from DHA in cells carrying COX-2. These can be transformed by human neutrophils in vitro to aspirin-triggered lipoxins, aspirin-triggered resolvins7,8 and aspirin-triggered protectins37. Each potently stops human PMN migration and enhances macrophage cleanup, enhancing resolution in mice.

Thus, the "active site" Ser-530 of PGG/H synthase is not essential for catalysis or substrate binding. Apparently, acetylation of native PGG/H synthase by aspirin introduces a bulky sidechain at position 530 which interferes with arachidonate binding.

It would seem that the lipoxin formation is aspirin specific.
It seems important to note that, in contrast to aspirin, sodium salicylate does not promote the formation of lipoxins.

One up for aspirin!
Still, based on the study above, salicylate has gut benefits. They didn't test aspirin as well, but it would have been interesting to see the effects of aspirin on the gut.

Mito

Still, based on the study above, salicylate has gut benefits.
In the CamphoSal post, Haidut suggests that salicylic acid is quickly metabolized in the stomach and may only reach the very upper portion of the gut. He uses an ester of salicylic acid with phenol in the CamphoSol product because “the esterification allows salicylic acid to survive more or less intact until it reaches the small intestine and colon where it is metabolized by the microbiome and broken down into phenol and salicylic acid.”

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
In the CamphoSal post, Haidut suggests that salicylic acid is quickly metabolized in the stomach and may only reach the very upper portion of the gut. He uses an ester of salicylic acid with phenol in the CamphoSol product because “the esterification allows salicylic acid to survive more or less intact until it reaches the small intestine and colon where it is metabolized by the microbiome and broken down into phenol and salicylic acid.”
It is quickly absorbed, but according to the above study, enough salicylate is able to reach the colon to positively modulate the gut bacteria (reset the balance between gram negative and positive bacteria).

Broken man

It is quickly absorbed, but according to the above study, enough salicylate is able to reach the colon to positively modulate the gut bacteria (reset the balance between gram negative and positive bacteria).
So sodium salicylate should prevent the bleeding issue? Thank you.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
So sodium salicylate should prevent the bleeding issue? Thank you.
Not sure if it can prevent the bleeding induced by aspirin and other NSAIDs, but it is gastroprotective against other NSAIDs and other toxins. SA in itself doesn't cause bleeding.

Broken man

Not sure if it can prevent the bleeding induced by aspirin and other NSAIDs, but it is gastroprotective against other NSAIDs and other toxins. SA in itself doesn't cause bleeding.
I am asking because I had bad reaction to classic aspirin by Bayer company, I used the one that is for dissolving into water with vitamin C, so I know that my bad reaction is not caused by other additives because this one is almost pure.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I am asking because I had bad reaction to classic aspirin by Bayer company, I used the one that is for dissolving into water with vitamin C, so I know that my bad reaction is not caused by other additives because this one is almost pure.
Aspirin is thought to cause bleeding by inhibiting COX in the intestine, whereas SA doesn't. Aspirin is also much more likely to cause bleeding than SA.

Broken man

Aspirin is thought to cause bleeding by inhibiting COX in the intestine, whereas SA doesn't. Aspirin is also much more likely to cause bleeding than SA.
Ohh, I read somewhere that aspirin was made because salicylic acid caused bleeding.. Now I am confused, so salicylic acid is better?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Ohh, I read somewhere that aspirin was made because salicylic acid caused bleeding.. Now I am confused, so salicylic acid is better?
Salicylic acid and sodium salicylate are two of the least problematic versions. Many studies show that SA doesn't cause bleeding but is actually gastroprotective. Aspirin is rapidly converted to salicylic acid in the body, but it's still aspirin that causes the (micro) bleeding.

Dave Clark

Any recommendations for where, or what company to buy sodium salicylate in powder form. On a search it looks like everything is from lab supply places, and nothing geared to selling as supplement, etc.? Hans, would you say if someone is not having any problem using aspirin powder, that there would be a benefit to converting to sodium salicylate anyway? Thinking that just because you don't feel bad on aspirin, maybe it would still be better to use something that is associated with less side effects (regarding bleeding, etc.).

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Any recommendations for where, or what company to buy sodium salicylate in powder form. On a search it looks like everything is from lab supply places, and nothing geared to selling as supplement, etc.? Hans, would you say if someone is not having any problem using aspirin powder, that there would be a benefit to converting to sodium salicylate anyway? Thinking that just because you don't feel bad on aspirin, maybe it would still be better to use something that is associated with less side effects (regarding bleeding, etc.).
If you're doing great on aspirin, then there is no need to switch. I mainly use it because I can't find pure aspirin here.

T

TheBeard

Bayer's "Aspirine du Rhône" here in France has only two ingredients:
Acetylsalicylic acid
Corn starch