Salicylate For Alzheimers (Aspirin)

ASPIRIN AND SECONDARY MORTALITY AFTER MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION

A randomised controlled double-blind trial of aspirin in the prevention of death was conducted in 1682 patients (including 248 women) who had had a confirmed myocardial infarct (MI). 25% of the patients were admitted to the trial within 3 days of the infarction and 50% within 7 days. Aspirin, 300 mg three times daily, was given for 1 yr. Total mortality was 12·3% in patients given aspirin and 14·8% in those given placebo, a reduction by aspirin of 17%, which was not statistically significant at p<0·05. The reduction in specific ischæmic-heart-disease (IHD) mortality was 22% and in total mortality plus IHD morbidity (readmission to hospital for MI in survivors) was 28%.

Aspirin for primary prevention of coronary heart disease: safety and absolute benefit related to coronary risk derived from meta-analysis of randomised trials -- Sanmuganathan et al. 85 (3): 265 -- Heart

RESULTS Aspirin for primary prevention significantly reduced all cardiovascular events by 15% (95% confidence interval (CI) 6% to 22%) and myocardial infarctions by 30% (95% CI 21% to 38%), and non-significantly reduced all deaths by 6% (95% CI −4% to 15%). Aspirin non-significantly increased strokes by 6% (95% CI −24% to 9%) and significantly increased bleeding complications by 69% (95% CI 38% to 107%). The risk of major bleeding balanced the reduction in cardiovascular events when cardiovascular event risk was 0.22%/year. The upper 95% CI for this estimate suggests that harm from aspirin is unlikely to outweigh benefit provided the cardiovascular event risk is 0.8%/year, equivalent to a coronary risk of 0.6%/year. At coronary event risk 1.5%/year, the five year NNT was 44 to prevent a myocardial infarction, and 77 to prevent a myocardial infarction net of any important bleeding complication. At coronary event risk 1%/year the NNT was 67 to prevent a myocardial infarction, and 182 to prevent a myocardial infarction net of important bleeding.

CONCLUSIONS Aspirin treatment for primary prevention is safe and worthwhile at coronary event risk ⩾ 1.5%/year; safe but of limited value at coronary risk 1%/year; and unsafe at coronary event risk 0.5%/year. Advice on aspirin for primary prevention requires formal accurate estimation of absolute coronary event risk.

haidut

Forum Supporter
a source of mine claims he saw on text-TV that they had chosen Aspirin as the warning example, nevertheless they go in under NSAID)

Where in that link do you see aspirin mentioned?!? Aspirin was actually the ONE drug they did NOT include and they tested for some pretty rarely used ones.

Peater Piper

ASPIRIN AND SECONDARY MORTALITY AFTER MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION

A randomised controlled double-blind trial of aspirin in the prevention of death was conducted in 1682 patients (including 248 women) who had had a confirmed myocardial infarct (MI). 25% of the patients were admitted to the trial within 3 days of the infarction and 50% within 7 days. Aspirin, 300 mg three times daily, was given for 1 yr. Total mortality was 12·3% in patients given aspirin and 14·8% in those given placebo, a reduction by aspirin of 17%, which was not statistically significant at p<0·05. The reduction in specific ischæmic-heart-disease (IHD) mortality was 22% and in total mortality plus IHD morbidity (readmission to hospital for MI in survivors) was 28%.

Aspirin for primary prevention of coronary heart disease: safety and absolute benefit related to coronary risk derived from meta-analysis of randomised trials -- Sanmuganathan et al. 85 (3): 265 -- Heart

RESULTS Aspirin for primary prevention significantly reduced all cardiovascular events by 15% (95% confidence interval (CI) 6% to 22%) and myocardial infarctions by 30% (95% CI 21% to 38%), and non-significantly reduced all deaths by 6% (95% CI −4% to 15%). Aspirin non-significantly increased strokes by 6% (95% CI −24% to 9%) and significantly increased bleeding complications by 69% (95% CI 38% to 107%). The risk of major bleeding balanced the reduction in cardiovascular events when cardiovascular event risk was 0.22%/year. The upper 95% CI for this estimate suggests that harm from aspirin is unlikely to outweigh benefit provided the cardiovascular event risk is 0.8%/year, equivalent to a coronary risk of 0.6%/year. At coronary event risk 1.5%/year, the five year NNT was 44 to prevent a myocardial infarction, and 77 to prevent a myocardial infarction net of any important bleeding complication. At coronary event risk 1%/year the NNT was 67 to prevent a myocardial infarction, and 182 to prevent a myocardial infarction net of important bleeding.

CONCLUSIONS Aspirin treatment for primary prevention is safe and worthwhile at coronary event risk ⩾ 1.5%/year; safe but of limited value at coronary risk 1%/year; and unsafe at coronary event risk 0.5%/year. Advice on aspirin for primary prevention requires formal accurate estimation of absolute coronary event risk.
Not exactly a glowing review of aspirin. I don't think the bleeding risks are quite as trivial as they're made out to be here, though proper preparation of aspirin for ingestion + k2 supplementation should mitigate (though not eliminate) the risks.

Kloppstock

Where in that link do you see aspirin mentioned?!? Aspirin was actually the ONE drug they did NOT include and they tested for some pretty rarely used ones.
I told you, i wanted others to read the link for me, casue i cant read long reports in english, but i also wanna trust my source who told me he saw that Aspirin was mentioned as the star of that report on text-TV in........Sweden! :) anyhow let us both google Aspirin+heart failure more, and remember this new report is a sequel of reports that started way back in 2010, i think Aspirin will be mentioned in them at-least.

There are another 'tau targeting' (they claim) equal promising supplement that i think have the overall lower risk if compared, i give my patient 3000 mg of Niacinamide with its possible liver objection! for several month now, but to combine it with one more relative risky supplement that possible also could give this?
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/848175

My patient recently showed symptoms of: false dysfagia. Maybe this was ment to be a wake up call for me to let go of the most recent Aspirin, when i will no longer be able to give 32 pills per day after the pause we have now, maybe i will be regretting myself for not investing in vitamin K2 and increase to 3 aspirin per day, i have to trust my gut feeling..at-least right now :/ or convince me better

Last edited:

Kloppstock

Liquorice could be used to treat Alzheimer's

"But derivatives, such as from liquorice or synthesised versions, were even more effective than aspirin in stopping the enzyme.

Low levels of salicylic acid block these pro-inflammatory activities, and the salicylic acid derivatives were 40 to 70 times more potent than salicylic acid at inhibiting these pro-inflammatory activities."

I wonder what low levels of salicylic acid derivates could be translated to drops per day of meadowsweet?
"40-60 drops (2-3 mL) in juice or water. Take 4 times per day."
if you wanna be safe from bleedings you dont go over that recomdended dose, if you wanan treat alzheimers you might need more, i can only give this to mum once per day, what happen if i take 100 drops at one occasion? will that increase risk of bleeding if you don't spread out a dose.

Some voiceson internet claims that tinctures in alcohol can make a substance to loose power, or its the opposite. What do you think of meadowsweet haidut? my dad who have Parkinson decided that meadowsweet must be to weak to make a difference so he said no to my offer, now i have showed him this report and he wanna pend

DaveFoster

I have given from early September, 500mg aspirin per day to a relative of mine, i cant say if it have improved the Alzheimer condition yet and she's taking other supplements also that i can have just as high hopes in does a difference.

However i hesitate to increase the dose to 1.500mg cause of this
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of heart failure in four European countries: nested case-control study | The BMJ
(i have not read this new-old report through, but a source of mine claims he saw on text-TV that they had chosen Aspirin as the warning example, nevertheless they go in under NSAID)
Im not sure the at-least possible risks that they are right goes down with higher dose like 1.5.

I would like to have this boards arguments for or against, if you don't take Aspirin they risk to die in their Alzheimer's, if we do take it we risk to die of heart complications instead, what's most pref?.

On the other hand they seem to clam that vitamin K2 benefits heart health, and that is what i shall get if i increase to 1.5g aspirin, do you think that's enough to countermeasure heart failure?.
How high Vitamin K2 dose would you need to safeguard 1.5g Aspirin?
Why don't you increase it to 1 gram?

DaveFoster

You don't believe in meadowsweet do you? ;) read my two previous post and return,
cause i wanna hear your opinion about that
I've never heard of it. I've heard of serrapeptase, and people have mixed results with it.

For aspirin, you could try co-administration with famotidine along with K2 to prevent ulceration. Famotidine also acts as a CA inhibitor, which has a whole host of beneficial effects on its own, and it's generally a safe and well-tolerated drug.

For heart attacks, I recall that lower dosages of aspirin reduce the frequency of cardiac events more than higher dosages, but higher dosages associate with reduced mortality.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16892516

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals