Safest Way To Go About Tanning Beds?-Melanoma In Family

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5487

I cannot get any sun during the day. I get home at 6:30, I am going ghost pale and the sun feels incredible when I step outsde.

Can I safetly use a bed 2x a week for 10 mins or so?

-Are tanning bed accelerators safe?
-Should I apply coconut Oil?

My sister, Mom and Gradma had melanoma

raypeatclips

Go with the lowest amount of time the tanning bed offers, and build up from there, don't go 10 minutes straight off. If your skin is red after a session, go with a lower time. I wouldn't use accelerators, they don't seem like a good idea.

Any idea how they got it? Were they sun bed frequenters?

Stilgar

Ray told me they are safe, but I asked in the context of a low PUFA diet.

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Go with the lowest amount of time the tanning bed offers, and build up from there, don't go 10 minutes straight off. If your skin is red after a session, go with a lower time. I wouldn't use accelerators, they don't seem like a good idea.

Any idea how they got it? Were they sun bed frequenters?

All are fine now. None visited beds, mabey just to much time in sun-They also really love breads/pastas/glutens and beer.

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Ray told me they are safe, but I asked in the context of a low PUFA diet.

I think I read that on here.

How low are we talking? Is some yolks and CO fine or Straight CO Hydrogenated oil only?

raypeatclips

Sister got it cut out of shoulder at like 25. Not a good sign
Mother got it cut out at like 50
Grandma had chemo for breast/skin mid 60s.

All are fine now. None visited beds, mabey just to much time in sun-They also really love breads/pastas/glutens and beer.

As you mentioned beer, Peat has said this before:

"One hot summer, I had a four ounce glass of Modelo beer, discovered I liked it, and for the rest of the summer I would often drink a similar small amount during the hot part of the day, while at my friend's house to water the plants. Two moles appeared on my forehead, and grew rapidly,until the bigger one was the size of a small pea. When the beer in the refrigerator was gone, the summer was nearly over, and I had thought increasingly about the estrogen content of beer, so I didn't drink any more. Within about a week, the moles were shrinking. The smaller one disappeared while the other one was still about the size of match-head. After about three weeks,the remaining mole was about the size of a dried pea, and one morning it rolled free when I touched it. It had become firm and dry."

Probably do what you can to keep estrogen in check, keep an eye on your skin, go slow to make sure you don't burn, eat low PUFA etc

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I started tanning regularly again this year and went slow like raypeatclips suggested. I haven't had any problems and feel better all around from doing it. I don't use the creams they sell though. The ingredients seem pretty awful.

raypeatclips

I started tanning regularly again this year and went slow like raypeatclips suggested. I haven't had any problems and feel better all around from doing it. I don't use the creams they sell though. The ingredients seem pretty awful.

Have you had your vitamin D levels tested before and after using tanning beds by any chance?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Have you had your vitamin D levels tested before and after using tanning beds by any chance?
A while back when I'd go 1 or 2 times a week in the winter I tested low at around 19 IIRC. I'm about to test soon and my plan is to retest every 4 months over the next year. I have a long history of repeatedly becoming deficient without D supplements so it's past time for me to get serious about this issue.

InChristAlone

I feel bad that so many people in office jobs will find it near impossible to get enough D in the summer :( I know my husband needs the D but even on the weekends he doesn't bother getting it. Tanning beds do offer a viable solution just always keep it less than 10 mins.

raypeatclips

I wonder if most people would benefit from purchasing a UVB lamp and using it a few times a week. Far more convenient to get it out in your house and use for a few minutes, rather than travelling to a tanning salon.

InChristAlone

I wonder if most people would benefit from purchasing a UVB lamp and using it a few times a week. Far more convenient to get it out in your house and use for a few minutes, rather than travelling to a tanning salon.
I have one, I use it in the winter.

InChristAlone

Is your husband not keen on using it?
No, he doesn't care enough to bother with it. Hard to make people care. They'd rather take a supplement. But I'm still leery about taking vitamin D3.

LadyRae

A while back when I'd go 1 or 2 times a week in the winter I tested low at around 19 IIRC. I'm about to test soon and my plan is to retest every 4 months over the next year. I have a long history of repeatedly becoming deficient without D supplements so it's past time for me to get serious about this issue.
Old post, but do you have any vit D lab values to share showing the effects of tanning bed use in winter?

I use a low intensity bed all winter, just curious as to your experiences..do you still use tanning beds in winter? Thanks!

RealNeat

Tanning beds are fine as long as you don't burn yourself, the real problem is the massive magnetic field and other possible sources of unintentional radiation exposure like X-ray from the fluorescent bulbs.

A safer way MAY be the Fiji lamp.

K

Kayaker

Tanning beds are fine as long as you don't burn yourself, the real problem is the massive magnetic field and other possible sources of unintentional radiation exposure like X-ray from the fluorescent bulbs.

A safer way MAY be the Fiji lamp.
First time I hear. Fluorescent bulbs shouldn't produce x-rays, and all electronics produce EMF.

RealNeat

First time I hear. Fluorescent bulbs shouldn't produce x-rays, and all electronics produce EMF.
No they shouldn’t, and its most likely a very small amount but theooretically they can,( just as they shouldn’t produce RF but can and do), their efficiency and integrity are finicky.

Also so what if ”every electronic produces EMF” …? The exposure strength and duration are what matter, Ive measured first hand, its hard to mimic the magnetic and electric fields coming off of a full body UVA tanning bed anywhere else, its massive and unhealthy, The UVA itself is a protective wavelength but when not balanced by full spectrum light, of which red is protective of UV damage and in a man made radiation mercury panini press, no thanks.

Fluorescent bulbs really should be a mystery box of waves, When one views the spectrum of frequencies you can see where the fluorescent gas reaction can go wrong. If it gets any shorter it becomes X-ray if it becomes any longer it exceeds the visible and heads towards RF. The strating voltage can be high enough to emit X-ray energy at anode end.

As for RF:
“Fluorescent lamps near end of life can present a serious radio frequency interference hazard. Oscillations are generated from the negative differential resistance of the arc, and the current flow through the tube can form a tuned circuit whose frequency depends on path length.” [67]

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Old post, but do you have any vit D lab values to share showing the effects of tanning bed use in winter?

I use a low intensity bed all winter, just curious as to your experiences..do you still use tanning beds in winter? Thanks!
This is from 11/19 when I was checking to see if I needed to supplement. At the time I was on an elimination diet of meat and honey so I’m not sure if that impacted the results. I had also lost a significant amount of weight and I’ve read that can raise vitamin D levels as well. Yes, I still use tanning beds. 4A0EBAD6-8728-44E4-A638-BEC942A16B06.jpeg

aniciete

This is from 11/19 when I was checking to see if I needed to supplement. At the time I was on an elimination diet of meat and honey so I’m not sure if that impacted the results. I had also lost a significant amount of weight and I’ve read that can raise vitamin D levels as well. Yes, I still use tanning beds.View attachment 30649
Did you take any supplements on the meat and honey elimination diet? I’m thinking of doing something similar to figure out some problems I’m having.

Back
Top Bottom