Safest drugs/substances to experience what Serotonin feels like?

milkboi

I already know the sensation of dopamine well and now would like to explore how serotonin feels like. What would you suggest me to try for that purpose? 5-HTP?

gaze

high dose tryptophan might work. however it usually requires some sort of bowel irritation. overall Its more of a chronic condition rather than something that can be induced, although it can be done with certain drugs however none of them would be considered safe. real serotonin excess is when everything in the body is slowing down chronically. it can cause anxiety, depression, fearfulness, paranoia, helplessness and sometimes its hard to get the body out of that cycle once its in it.

Last edited:

youngsinatra

I already know the sensation of dopamine well and now would like to explore how serotonin feels like. What would you suggest me to try for that purpose? 5-HTP?
5-HTP would probably give you the most accurate experience of how serotonin feels.

MDMA might be a candidate aswell, but it has so many other effects on the brain too. I think a MDMA trip is highly euphoric and positive whereas 5-HTP doesn’t give such a experience.

NodeCerebri

I think it would be reasonable to specify it here: are you looking for a serotonin excess feeling? Then yeah, pure MDMA is the option which will reliably release the most serotonin, so that you shouldn’t do it for 3 months again afterwards. But I agree with the others, not only MDMA but also serotonin excess can affect different brain circuits and put you in a cycle which will be hard to get out of, no matter how many and how good the peaty supps or the peaty diet. Wouldn’t recommend, it can take years to make it up.

youngsinatra

Interestingly I know someone who got into the ER, because he heavily overdosed on ecstasy (took 9 pills) and they gave him an anti-nausea drug and he always wondered why it almost completely cleared his serotonin syndrome. Well I think many anti-nausea drugs are serotonin antagonists and the story he told me made perfect sense to me.

NodeCerebri

Interestingly I know someone who got into the ER, because he heavily overdosed on ecstasy (took 9 pills) and they gave him an anti-nausea drug and he always wondered why it almost completely cleared his serotonin syndrome. Well I think many anti-nausea drugs are serotonin antagonists and the story he told me made perfect sense to me.
Yep, one of the 5HT receptors is responsible for signaling that nausea feeling, I guess he got an antiemetic. 9 pills is almost a lethal amount, crazy that he survived that, I’m glad.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

I think it would be reasonable to specify it here: are you looking for a serotonin excess feeling? Then yeah, pure MDMA is the option which will reliably release the most serotonin, so that you shouldn’t do it for 3 months again afterwards. But I agree with the others, not only MDMA but also serotonin excess can affect different brain circuits and put you in a cycle which will be hard to get out of, no matter how many and how good the peaty supps or the peaty diet. Wouldn’t recommend, it can take years to make it up.

No, you are right to make that distinction. I just want to be able to feel it so I guess I have to cross a certain threshold in order to do that. I don't want to experience an excess except if that is required to actually subjectively feel it.

I guess I am kind of answering my own question here but the before-mentioned drugs like THC and ecstasy would not be a good way to accomplish this as they act way too unspecific: MDMA massively increases dopamine as well for example, THC primarily acts on cannabinoid receptors. On the other hand, cocaine/ritalin would be pretty good drugs to "feel" dopamine as they are specific enough to dopamine transmission. Like @youngsinatra said, 5HTP is probably the most reliable way to achieve this end.

NodeCerebri

No, you are right to make that distinction. I just want to be able to feel it so I guess I have to cross a certain threshold in order to do that. I don't want to experience an excess except if that is required to actually subjectively feel it.

I guess I am kind of answering my own question here but the before-mentioned drugs like THC and ecstasy would not be a good way to accomplish this as they act way too unspecific: MDMA massively increases dopamine as well for example, THC primarily acts on cannabinoid receptors. On the other hand, cocaine/ritalin would be pretty good drugs to "feel" dopamine as they are specific enough to dopamine transmission. Like @youngsinatra said, 5HTP is probably the most reliable way to achieve this end.
Yep, you’re right. High dose Benadryl also spontaneously came to my mind right now. Also maybe high dose LSD, but here the distinction would be also harder I guess.

DonLore

MDMA is pretty far from serotonin, too much dopamine and norephinephrine release. LSD is also quite dopaminergic. Benadryl is supposed have some anti-serotonin effect?
Never tried cocaine but ritalin does not feel purely dopaminergic, it has a dirty side effect profile. Amphetamine and meth are much closer to pure dopamine

mostlylurking

Why don't you just drink a big glass of water, enough to stretch your gut some? That's really all it takes to make your gut produce serotonin. Or, you could eat a banana and top it off with some methylene blue. That works great to increase serotonin enough to make you wish you hadn't.

I cannot fathom why you would want to do this.

OccamzRazer

Speaking from experience, you do not want cannabis-induced serotonin syndrome. Uncontrollable shaking, twitching, unpleasant hallucinations, apocalyptic vibes...

OP
milkboi

milkboi

Speaking from experience, you do not want cannabis-induced serotonin syndrome. Uncontrollable shaking, twitching, unpleasant hallucinations, apocalyptic vibes...
Yup I know that feeling too well. Crazy how a substance can both induce intense happiness and an intense sense of doom lol. But again, I don't doubt serotonin plays an important role in the latter sensation but it's impossible to know how other factors play into this.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

MDMA is pretty far from serotonin, too much dopamine and norephinephrine release. LSD is also quite dopaminergic. Benadryl is supposed have some anti-serotonin effect?
Never tried cocaine but ritalin does not feel purely dopaminergic, it has a dirty side effect profile. Amphetamine and meth are much closer to pure dopamine
Interesting you'd say that, Ritalin to me feels cleaner than amphetamines. But it does have a significant effect on norepinephrine uptake too so that might be why you feel it has a "dirty" side effect profile. I've never gone higher than 10 mg of Methylphenidate btw. I've never done cocaine myself but it acts very similar to Ritalin. Amphetamines of course are very dopaminergic and most of their subjective effective effects stem from its effect on dopamine transmission I'm sure but they can also increase serotonin significantly which Ritalin doesn't do.

Missenger

Watch CNN for an hour
Listen to MSM every single day for 12 hours straight+commercials.

Yup I know that feeling too well. Crazy how a substance can both induce intense happiness and an intense sense of doom lol. But again, I don't doubt serotonin plays an important role in the latter sensation but it's impossible to know how other factors play into this.
Serotonin syndrome+dopamine stimulation causes that doom-like feeling.

Last edited: