"Safe Pan" For Eggs

x-ray peat

Standard 18/10 stainless steel is 10 % nickel.

There is no nickel in borosilicate glass and it's extremely heat and chemical resistant. The vision cookware (the one made in France) is literally sold in shops specifically for people with nickel allergy. I really don't see how anything could leach here at all.
I thought that as well until I read her post and did a little more digging. Depending on the manufacturing process or the source of the raw materials it can still be contaminated with heavy metals that can leach out of the finished product so her story can still make sense.
I also found this which says that the older Visions cookware had heavy metals in it.
Non-toxic pots & pans - Natural Baby Mama "I tested a brand new Visions Glass Cookware set for lead, cadmium and other metals with and Niton XL3T XRF. The old Visions I have been told contains heavy metals and I would never use it (and I recommend you stop using it if you have an older Visions cookware set you are using). The old version is about 10 years old. To see the exact set tested click here.
The new Visions cookware is free of lead, cadmium and any other metals. It is made of glass & ceramic material. "

But then I found two studies that show aluminum leaching from borosilicate glass. The glass has about 1-2% aluminum in it.
Aluminum elution and precipitation in glass vials: effect of pH and buffer species. - PubMed - NCBI
Influence of the glass packing on the contamination of pharmaceutical products by aluminium. Part II: amino acids for parenteral nutrition. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

x-ray peat

chemical free non-stick pan:

Collections
I am starting to think that the cookwareindustry is about as honest as the olive oil industry. The non-stick from "Made-In" says it is PFOA free (a Teflon precursor) but doesn't say anything about PTFE i.e. Teflon.

"What is your nonstick surface made of? We use the highest grade, American, PTFE coating on the market that is resistant to heat up to 662 degrees and is oven and dishwasher safe. The coating is also PFOA free. "

Frankdee20

Just use stainless, some non stick spray (your not going to die from the trace PUFA) and butter is key. Off the heat, then back on, repeat this technique.

Seleniodine

Also using stainless for cooking my eggs, although I learned something new here re: the nickel content. Is it an issue once the pan has been used a while?
Using butter in moderately preheated pan, my goal is to achieve a soft but cooked egg with no acrylamide build up, don't like a crunchy fried egg. Also on and off the eye as needed per the above post. Perfect result for me is if no burnt butter or other crispy bits are left in the pan.
Some white vinegar into the still warm pan makes clean up easy.

Last edited:

Frankdee20

I should also add emphasis on strength of heat. Don’t let the butter brown before throwing egg in, also, if heat is too strong, egg will crisp, and more likely to stick. I don’t care about what Ray said about oxidizing the cholesterol, and weather quick high heat was better than low and slow. You guys like easy eggs right ?

Palpatine

Well, I think I read through this entire thread and nobody has mentioned anything like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Copper-Pan-Round-Nonstick/dp/B01MTDGC5D
There's a bunch of manufacturers making these... and I've been using something like what I posted above... works like a charm but curious what you guys think about it.

Here's bullet points from the description:
  • Thermally-efficient aluminum body delivers fast, even heating for consistent cooking results
  • PFOA- and PTFE-free ceramic nonstick interior provides effortless food release for cleaning ease and won't scratch, chip, or peel even when using metal cooking utensils
  • Suitable for use on most stove types, except induction
  • Oven safe up to 500º F
  • Aluminum, stainless steel, ceramic and copper construction

ddjd

I use glass cookware and it's just the best; only had to buy a couple replacements because they dropped once.
Stainless steal, without nickel, are good, but they're hard to find. Used stores can have them sometimes
Glass cookware? Can you post a link?

postman

I thought that as well until I read her post and did a little more digging. Depending on the manufacturing process or the source of the raw materials it can still be contaminated with heavy metals that can leach out of the finished product so her story can still make sense.
I also found this which says that the older Visions cookware had heavy metals in it.
Non-toxic pots & pans - Natural Baby Mama "I tested a brand new Visions Glass Cookware set for lead, cadmium and other metals with and Niton XL3T XRF. The old Visions I have been told contains heavy metals and I would never use it (and I recommend you stop using it if you have an older Visions cookware set you are using). The old version is about 10 years old. To see the exact set tested click here.
The new Visions cookware is free of lead, cadmium and any other metals. It is made of glass & ceramic material. "

But then I found two studies that show aluminum leaching from borosilicate glass. The glass has about 1-2% aluminum in it.
Aluminum elution and precipitation in glass vials: effect of pH and buffer species. - PubMed - NCBI
Influence of the glass packing on the contamination of pharmaceutical products by aluminium. Part II: amino acids for parenteral nutrition. - PubMed - NCBI
Visions glass cookware isn't borosilicate glass. It's made with a type of glass-ceramic, pyroceram. The lids however are made out of glass. From what I have read it seems like the lids might be potentially unsafe, however the pots themelves seem relatively inert.

boris

So nothing is safe.

-Visions glassware and borosilicate leaking heavy metals.
-Le creuset style pots and pans riddled with led
-True stainless steel often coated.

Just a pure copper pan seems to be the best bet.

Nicole W.

What do you fry eggs in? Such a pain to clean a "safe" pan. I know stainless steel can work without too much cleanup, but it's a pain too.

Any good non-stick pans for eggs?[/QUOTE
Most of my cookware is stainless, but my “egg” pan is Hestan. They are made from titanium I think. Their pans are expensive but not having to soak and scrap a pan everyday made it worth it to me. They are sold at William Sonoma.

boris

Apparently they are made from 18/10 stainless with a titanium coating.

Hestan Culinary - Hestan Culinary
Molecular Titanium
"Thousands of titanium nanolayers protect your cookware from stains and scratches – ensuring a lifetime of beauty."

Anything with nanoparticles sounds sketchy to me, but I have no clue if it's problematic.

Nanoparticles and nanosafety: the big picture
"Assessing the risks associated with manufactured nanomaterials is never easy or straightforward. Unlike traditional chemicals, the classification of the properties and potential risks of nanomaterials is not based on composition alone.
Rather, it is a complex function of a number of properties, including particle size, shape, surface area, surface coating and even how tightly the particles are clumped together.
Adding to the challenge, many of these properties can change with time and through use as the nanomaterials move through a complex system, such as our own bodies or a waste-treatment plant."

LukasWood

why not use an pure iron pan like generations of people used before that ceramic and teflon epedemie.

0504160H01-624x624.jpg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals