"Safe Pan" For Eggs

Discussion in 'Cookware, Microwave' started by stressucks, Jan 22, 2017.

1. stressucks

stressucks Member

What do you fry eggs in? Such a pain to clean a "safe" pan. I know stainless steel can work without too much cleanup, but it's a pain too.

Any good non-stick pans for eggs?

2. x-ray peat

x-ray peat Member

I use a good stainless with lots of coconut oil. I have found that some brands like trader joes sticks so you have to experiment. Ideally you should cook with refined CO as it has a higher smoke point

3. paymanz

paymanz Member

Ceramic coated cookware aren't safe?

Has anybody asked ray about them?!

4. OP
    stressucks

stressucks Member

Did someone edit my title?? why does it say "save" pans??

5. keith

keith Member

Not sure if it is still too much of a pain, but I find if I put a little water in the bottom of the pan and put it back on the burner for a minute or two (I have an electric stove, and don't even have to turn it back on, because the burner retains heat), and let the water get hot, it sort of dissolves some of the egg stickiness, and makes cleanup a lot easier.

6. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

i'm a fan of Scanpan. It is titanium and ceramic plasma deposited on the pan. Doesn't seem to get into the food. And it's pretty inert.

Stainless steel is not great if it's new, and if you cook acidic foods (e.g. tomato sauce) in it. Once it gets used it stops leaching nickel and chromium, but at first, it often does.

7. OP
    stressucks

stressucks Member

I haven't tried this. I'll give it a shot.

8. zztr

zztr Member

Microwave in a ceramic bowl. Add a couple tablespoons of water, scramble, nuke on a low power level. Add a bit of cheese or butter if you like. On mine I do two eggs on level three for five minutes.

Eat out of the bowl. Stick the bowl in the dishwasher.

9. cats

cats Member

Corning makes glass cookware

10. x-ray peat

x-ray peat Member

I looked into it once and I think they use some sort of chemical coating
    Ive heard glassware is the best too. The high-end ceramics are supposed to be good but I think the cheaper stuff may leach

11. lollipop

lollipop Guest

I use this as well @ecstatichamster - best cookware I have ever used...really the bomb.

12. johnwester130

johnwester130 Member

no pan

just boil the yolks

much easier and cleaner

all boiling pots won't have teflon/etc

13. Pet Peeve

Pet Peeve Member

Yep, I bake hamburgers in the oven too, comes out better tasting than in a pan.

14. tyler

tyler Member

I third what @lisaferraro and @ecstatichamster recommended.
    Scanpan was one of the best investments i ever made. Creates the most incredible fried eggs...

15. John Frusciante

John Frusciante Member

I use glass cookware and it's just the best; only had to buy a couple replacements because they dropped once.
    Stainless steal, without nickel, are good, but they're hard to find. Used stores can have them sometimes

16. HLP

HLP Member

Just browsing Scanpan info but it doesn't reveal whether or not it work on an induction stove.

17. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
  18. x-ray peat

x-ray peat Member

I thought microwaves mess up the vitamins/nutrients in the food. Russian banned them for a long time.

19. Jc42

Jc42 New Member

I use stainless steel, used to do a lot of scrubbing after cooking eggs until I watched a YouTube video on how to cook with stainless, you have to wait for the pan to be hot enough that when you put a drop of water in, it ricochets around the pan like a ball of mercury, is fun to watch!

It also helps if you let the eggs come to room temperature first.

I mix up two eggs in a bowl with a splash of milk, put a tablespoon of refined coconut oil into hot pan, and after melted I put the eggs in the pan. The eggs float on top of the hot oil, give a quick stir and the eggs are done in less than 10 seconds. On my electric stove, I put the burner on 3, takes several minutes for it to get hot enough, but that way I don't scorch the pan. Top with salt and some grated cheese, very tasty!

With room temperature eggs, nothing sticks, it just slides right off. When the eggs are cold out of fridge, a little bit sticks when scrambling eggs, but sunny side up eggs seem to stick more.

20. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

This is true of all pans. They must be adequately preheated. And fat added to an already hot pan.

With eggs this fast cooking lowers harmful oxidation of cholesterol.