Safe Max Dose For Lithium? What To Look Out For?

Lithium is pretty helpful to me for my mental health, lithium orotate. The only concern is that I've heard it can be toxic in high doses. I do as low of a dose as I can until I feel the benefits, which seems to be around 5mg a day. I'm just concerned I may be taking too much and it may be unhealthy. Any real concerns I should be worried about?

Frankdee20

Lithium is pretty helpful to me for my mental health, lithium orotate. The only concern is that I've heard it can be toxic in high doses. I do as low of a dose as I can until I feel the benefits, which seems to be around 5mg a day. I'm just concerned I may be taking too much and it may be unhealthy. Any real concerns I should be worried about?

I think you can saturate the stores and need less over time. It can effect Thyroid but I don’t know at what dose it gets critical. Definitely made me feel drugged over time, but helped me in the beginning with a terrible frantic period.

OP
ImprovingDaily
I think you can saturate the stores and need less over time. It can effect Thyroid but I don’t know at what dose it gets critical. Definitely made me feel drugged over time, but helped me in the beginning with a terrible frantic period.

Yeah, I'm in a similar frantic situation. Started a new period of stress and I'm trying to be as stable as I can. I don't want to completely rely on it, so I'll take a multi angle approach at it and try and keep the dose as low as I can.

tankasnowgod

If you are taking the over the counter stuff, toxicity likely won't be an issue, even if you take a few pills a day. Toxicity usually starts around 50-100mg of elemental Lithium (and the Orotate only has 5mg of elemental Lithium) daily. Usually, you need a prescription for the higher doses that can cause toxicity, and that might even be an issue with the prescribed form, which is Lithium Carbonate. There are some other threads discussing this here.

Tenglish

Try listening or reading to something by Dr. James Greenblatt - he discusses OTC uses from 1mg - 10mg as not posing any real concern.
Amazon Sign In

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals