‘Safe’ Levels Of Sugar Harmful To Mice

CoolTweetPete

XPlus said:
post 104267
Mittir said:
post 104264
XPlus said:
post 104246 Yeah, Peat is right again.

We do not know for sure if RP is right about the claim that HFCS has 4-5 times the
calories. The source RP used never got published, it was only a presentation in a conference.
But, the study refuting this claim is not totally convincing either.
We will have to wait for more future studies conclusively showing the caloric and
oligosaccharide content of commercial HFCS.

I recently tried some HFCS Coke for few days and have had doubts about the claim that it has 4-5 times the
calories. I felt it was a little allergenic but couldn't feel there's 4-5 times the energy there.
But again, fructose has the same calories as sucrose by weight but I can barely feel it entering my system.

I hope Ray only brought up the study as something to think about.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe another issue with HFCS has been mercury contamination. Could this possibly contribute to allergenicity?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01831.html

Subjectively, I had a mild hangover last week, and I drank an HFCS Coke. I rarely vomit even from drinking alcohol, but I chucked multiple times after that. :?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mittir

Years ago, I lost about 20 lbs in 2 months when i stopped drinking coke/pepsi. It convinced me that
sugar/HFCS was evil. I never liked the taste of HFCS soft drinks compared to sugar sweetened.
RP mentioned that industry claimed to fix the mercury problem in HFCS.
There can be other problematic things in HFCS if not mercury.

sladerunner69

Yeah that's sounds about right. I was just snowballing with the fabricated results part. The author did say retroactively that the study could not be replicated I do remember that specifically.

Anyway I have consumed plenty of HFCS coke to know that the sugar content is equal, but as above it is more allergenic and can cause headaches and runny nose etc

XPlus

CoolTweetPete said:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe another issue with HFCS has been mercury contamination. Could this possibly contribute to allergenicity?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01831.html

Subjectively, I had a mild hangover last week, and I drank an HFCS Coke. I rarely vomit even from drinking alcohol, but I chucked multiple times after that. :?

I'm suspecting it's due to residue of GMO matter.

Parsifal

XPlus said:
post 104246 Yeah, Peat is right again.
Where are all the Mittir fan boys cheer leading :mrgreen:

Any compound is capable of causing trouble in the wrong amounts, including sugar.
Insufficient insulin production, excess estrogen, uncontrolled adrenaline and cortisol, serotonin, fat from the diet, sluggish liver and low thyroid have synergetic actions that challenge the utilization of sugar.
It's better to be careful with taking too much sugar at once. It increases the vitamin and mineral requirements - like Mittir said - and could also cause metabolic crashes.

Even if you manage to increase your capacity to handle sugar, it may become more difficult to sustain higher metabolic rates without consistently balancing out the sugar with some food.
I had a big crash 2 days ago, lots of low fat sugared milk, pulse over 100 most of the day - I ended up in bad pain at the end of the day because I didn't eat much.
What are the nutrients that need to be increased by taking sugar?

I'm a bit confused because males need to eat 3000kcal/day and that seems nearly impossible without eating a lot of sugar, at least 2000kcal or more from it (too much saturated fat leads to Randle cycle as well).

Last edited by a moderator:

XPlus

Parsifal said:
I'm a bit confused because males need to eat 3000kcal/day and that seems nearly impossible without eating a lot of sugar, at least 2000kcal or more from it (too much saturated fat leads to Randle cycle as well).

You might feel better in general eating as you feel like regardless of any target.
Consistently trying to push for certain targets could be stressful and even unphysiological.

2 Large eggs, 1.2litre of milk, 5tsp coconut oil, 1ltire orange juice, 250gm steak, 250gm low fat cottage cheese, 500ml coke, 200gm potaotes and 15gm gelatin give you about 276gm carbs,160gm protein and 2,330 calories. You'd only need about 170gm of white sugar to supplement for a total of about 3,000 calories. This is like 14tbsps - you could add it to your milk and coffee.

stargazer1111

The top comment over at r/science about this article outlines some of the flaws with this study:

"1) Used offspring of mice "captured by Potts in a bakery". Seriously!? Who the hell does that in 2013? This seriously impacts the ability to replicate such a study. Also note, this same author has a publication demonstrating how important genetics can be to competitive ability! Go figure...
2) Proportional hazards model used; see figure 1 here. Such models assume individuals are reasonably independent. The experimental setup, however, was intentionally designed to not maintain independence, i.e. it encouraged competition for food, territory, and mates, simultaneously both among and between treatment groups. Treatment effects would be irretrievably confounded with uncontrolled factors.
3) Even if we ignore 2) above, the significance of the survival effect on females was marginal at best: p=0.048. Such results would strongly suggest repetition of the experiment is necessary, however, that will not be possible. Instead, the authors call for a change in dietary guidelines based on unconfirmed results.
4) The obvious circumstantial evidence: American males seem to have no problems reproducing and there are no epidemics of dieing females."

http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comment ... quivalent/

Another tell-tale sign of a bad paper is its citation count, especially 6 years after publication. It has only been cited 30 times since 2013. It is unlikely that these results have been reproduced because it would have been cited many more times than this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals