Safe Candles?

pro marker

i am embarrased to say this but i know nothing about candles.
recently i started turning off all lights a few hours before bed and switching to candles instead. ive always liked the natural light of a flame. however im worried about breathing in whatever crap might be in the candle. what is the safest kind of candle? the ones i can get in the grocery stores are either 100% parafin, or a mixture with vegetable oil. im also worried about the flame burning the metal casing. beeswax candles are more expensive, are there any other safe alternatives?
and where does fire fall on the red-blue light spectrum?
ive been using these:

images

i know they are probably terrible.
sometimes i just die inside stressing out over all the posions around me. my god i would have so much more energy if i wasnt worrying about emf microplastics clothing fibers etc 24/7

golder

I bought what I thought to be a safe candle the other day as it was devoid of all nasty chemicals, then I found that the wax was made of soy. Don't really want to be breathing in soy all day. Kinda sucks.

Comstock

I wonder if there are enclosed candle chambers that you can vent off to the outside. Like a fishbowl that can connect to a small opening in your window. That way, you could enjoy the candle light and heat without worrying about the materials.

Soren

Forum Supporter
I just bought some coconut wax candles from a local store. I assume they are safer than soy owing to the fact that the fat is saturated. Coconut is probably an overlooked source in the candle industry even more so than tallow and beeswax.

Waynish

Curious as to an old fashioned candle recipe and what are the best you can buy?

LucyL

I make my own. Buy 100% cotton wicks, then just melt tallow and beeswax in a can and pour it into whatever mold you want. I just use some fancy mason jars. I like the look of the blue jars when the candles are burning.

Here's a link - I don't think you have to do 50-50 tallow and beeswax though, the ratio can be up to 1 lb of tallow to a couple oz of beeswax.

Waynish

I make my own. Buy 100% cotton wicks, then just melt tallow and beeswax in a can and pour it into whatever mold you want. I just use some fancy mason jars. I like the look of the blue jars when the candles are burning.

Here's a link - I don't think you have to do 50-50 tallow and beeswax though, the ratio can be up to 1 lb of tallow to a couple oz of beeswax.

Sweet. How do they last vs the typical soy candles you've used? Heard of anyone using coconut oil? You just buy regular beef tallow for it?

LucyL

Sweet. How do they last vs the typical soy candles you've used? Heard of anyone using coconut oil? You just buy regular beef tallow for it?
They seem to last pretty long, I usually burn them about 30 minutes at a time, while I'm in the bath, and they will last for several months.

I've never tried coconut oil. I get beef fat when I buy a half cow from the farmer, but I imagine you could get it from a butcher or a processor. I render the fat myself, it's super easy. Just cut into 1/2 inch chunks and put it in the crockpot for 10-12 hrs on low until it's mostly all liquid. Then strain it through some cheesecloth.

golder

Waynish

Nice product, will be one of the mixtures I try. I saw people making hair gel using some beeswax mixture too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals