Rx For Fractured Bones

Lianda

Please help- I just fractured my wrist (sports injury)- excuse typos...

Read I should stay away from ibuprofen b/c of prostaglandins. Use tylenol for pain. Correct?

other suggestions to speed proper healing, please?

(am 64 y.o. female)

OP
Lianda

Lianda

I would take aspirin.
what is your source for suggestion?

http://www.betterbones.com/bonefracture/speedhealing.pdf Pain relievers and fracture healing​

Cells damaged from the trauma of fracture release large amounts of inflammatory prostaglandins at the site of fracture. The ensuing inflammation causes pain and the natural tendency is to want to block this painful reaction. In this case, non‐steroidal anti‐inflammatory drugs (COX‐1 and COX‐2 inhibitors) might be the medication we reach for to relieve the pain. The use of these COX‐1 and COX‐2 inhibitors, however, can delay fracture healing. As it turns out, prostaglandin‐induced inflammation is an essential component of the fracture healing process, and cyclooxygenase enzymes (COX‐1 and COX‐2) play important roles in fracture repair. These inflammatory prostaglandins are a natural and essential part of initial tissue repair and the initial inflammatory immune response is crucial to fracture healing. Because of this, the use of non‐steroidal anti‐inflammatory pain killers (NSAIDs) is not recommended for fracture pain relief. Among the NSAID COX‐1 and COX‐2 inhibitor drugs to be avoided are aspirin, ibuprofen, indomethacin, etodolac (Lodine), meloxicam (Mobic), nabumetone (Relafen), and naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn).34

I think tylenol is bad for the liver. I don't have a source but that's what came to my mind for pain relief, also maybe aleve might help the pain. This is conjecture but I think increasing CO2 production by uncoupling mitochondria would accelerate healing, and Peat told a story one time where he broke his wrist and minutes later put it in a bag of CO2 and it healed in an hour or so. Aspirin and aleve can uncouple mitochondria. Prostaglandins can inhibit CO2 production.

OP
Lianda

Lianda

I think tylenol is bad for the liver. I don't have a source but that's what came to my mind for pain relief, also maybe aleve might help the pain. This is conjecture but I think increasing CO2 production by uncoupling mitochondria would accelerate healing, and Peat told a story one time where he broke his wrist and minutes later put it in a bag of CO2 and it healed in an hour or so. Aspirin and aleve can uncouple mitochondria. Prostaglandins can inhibit CO2 production.
thanks- it's all so confusing :arghh: - I guess I can exhale into a bag & put my casted arm in there?:rolleyes:

I would say just rest your arm and don't fiddle with it, if the pain is unbearable then take something for the pain, and eat well.

tara

thanks- it's all so confusing :arghh: - I guess I can exhale into a bag & put my casted arm in there?:rolleyes:
No, I think it needs to be much higher concentration than you can possibly exhale to get in through the skin. CO2 tank or cannister and a plastic bag and tape or elastic band to hold it in. Or maybe dry ice, if you have access to that nearby. I have no experience with this and broken bones, only very minor injuries, but if it were me I'd consider trying it. It increases circulation and oxygen supply to the area quite noticably.

I don't know about the interaction of aspirin and ibuprofen with bone healing.

I wonder whether topical progest-e or similar would be helpful for pain? It can apparently have some anaesthetising effect, but don't know how it affects bone healing.

Keeping up systemic CO2 may help a little to help calm nerves?

I imagine you've got it appropriately splintied or cast?

Making a lot of noise may give relief?

OP
Lianda

Lianda

The noise is a good suggestion..... or maybe, even better to listen to uplifting music to take my focus away from feeling sorry for myself, and being thankful it's my left, instead of right wrist...
anyway, thx for your kind suggestions.

lindsay

I broke a wrist years ago before discovering RP. I am sure I did everything wrong, but I don't recall taking a tone of pain killers. Maybe just used ice to help with swelling, which will go down fast. Also, I needed physical therapy to get my full motion back. I would let it rest and heal and take advil if you need it. I only take small amounts of it and always with food. It's the only anti-inflammatory that works for me. Aspirin does nothing for pain - that's been my experience.

I'd be interesting to hear about Co2 though! I haven't broken any bones since, and now I eat a good amount of dairy and take vitamin k2. Really helps the bones :) And I do yoga, so my wrists are much stronger now! But just basic hand exercises should help following recovery.

For what it's worth, last year I fell down while climbing up onto a window sill at home and I banged my knee real bad. No breaks, but intense swelling and pain. DMSO and ice worked magic. Don't know how it works with broken things, but for swelling DMSO might do the trick.

I think a good cast probably increase the local CO2 concentration. If there's one thing the medical system does well, it's healing broken bones, I'm sure it will heal fine if you do nothing.

DesertRat

My doctor had me tape a strong magnet over the skin nearest the break and I recovered (even at age 56) in less than the 6 weeks. For inflammation relief, try some herbals like curcumin if aspirin doesn't give you enough relief.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals