RP Quote - B1 And Coffee

DaveFoster

"The way I leaned French to pass my graduate school exam was over a weekend with plenty of coffee and a few hundred milligrams of vitamin B1. I sat down and memorized 4,000 words, I think it was." -- RP

4,000 words over a weekend seems impossible. That's about 1350 words per day, even with a three-day weekend.

I wonder what Ray's IQ is/was. I would guess around 170.

HDD

"The way I leaned French to pass my graduate school exam was over a weekend with plenty of coffee and a few hundred milligrams of vitamin B1. I sat down and memorized 4,000 words, I think it was." -- RP

4,000 words over a weekend seems impossible. That's about 1350 words per day, even with a three-day weekend.

Someone a few years ago stated his IQ was over 200. I don't know if she knew this as a fact or was guessing. His mother was given progesterone while she pregnant.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Someone a few years ago stated his IQ was over 200. I don't know if she knew this as a fact or was guessing. His mother was given progesterone while she pregnant.
It would be amazing if Ray had an IQ of over 200. Newton probably had an IQ of 200-210, and he drafted calculus along with Newtonian physics and others.

170 is far, far beyond a genius, above 180 may be unrealistic.

Prosper

There's no way Ray has 200 IQ, but over 140 seems reasonable. My IQ is ~130 and I can self-teach myself anything I want and understand any concept if there's enough motivation.

Lee Simeon

A few hundred milligrams? That is a crazy amount. I have exams in a few days so I am willing to do whatever it takes though.

raypeatclips

IQ is just marketing, I'm not sure Peat would bother entertaining taking an IQ test, or think much of its results. You can train for IQ tests, many of the questions on IQ tests are similar, noticing patterns. There are also many multiple choice sections where you look at shapes and work out the missing shape. Due to it being multiple choice, you could completely guess all of this second and be given a "genius" result, despite not even looking at any of the questions. I am sure someone that took many IQ tests a day could improve their scores as much as they want if they kept "training" for it. I have heard Peat say people with pacemakers "IQ" increased when they increased the pulse of the pacemaker. I don't think it is a set thing, as in, a certain person has X IQ. People's IQ probably would vary a lot throughout the day, depending on what they have consumed, how they feel etc.

HDD

It would be amazing if Ray had an IQ of over 200. Newton probably had an IQ of 200-210, and he drafted calculus along with Newtonian physics and others.

170 is far, far beyond a genius, above 180 may be unrealistic.

It was something that stuck in my head from a forum member that was well-versed in Peat's work and had regular correspondence with him. I can't find her posts now when I search her name to see the context of her statement. I suppose it may have been to make a point about his exceptional intelligence.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

IQ is just marketing, I'm not sure Peat would bother entertaining taking an IQ test, or think much of its results. You can train for IQ tests, many of the questions on IQ tests are similar, noticing patterns. There are also many multiple choice sections where you look at shapes and work out the missing shape. Due to it being multiple choice, you could completely guess all of this second and be given a "genius" result, despite not even looking at any of the questions. I am sure someone that took many IQ tests a day could improve their scores as much as they want if they kept "training" for it. I have heard Peat say people with pacemakers "IQ" increased when they increased the pulse of the pacemaker. I don't think it is a set thing, as in, a certain person has X IQ. People's IQ probably would vary a lot throughout the day, depending on what they have consumed, how they feel etc.
Certainly; nicotine is known to increase IQ by a few points, and there's a 5-15 point drop upon cessation (withdrawal). Breastfeeding tends to increase IQ by a small percentage as well.

raypeatclips

Certainly; nicotine is known to increase IQ by a few points, and there's a 5-15 point drop upon cessation (withdrawal). Breastfeeding tends to increase IQ by a small percentage as well.

Exactly. Having a "high IQ" is all about status and fits with the culture of celebrities. Think of the group mensa, people over IQ over 130, its a status thing, being part of "the club." Having a high IQ is creating an image for yourself for the world to see, to show you are a special human being. If you are smart, you do things like make discoveries, do research, not taking IQ tests and telling people what number it is.

LUH 3417

So was my mother and I don't have an iq of 200.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I can't find her posts now when I search her name to see the context of her statement.
I think Ray Peat tries to be as clear and simple as he can. You must not forget that he has an IQ somewhere above 200, so breaking his knowledge down must be hard. I believe you can see and hear it in his interviews. How there are a million thoughts and he is like watching them happen and describing them as accurately as possible. But I think his writing is without embellishment, it is straight and it can be understood by everybody.

HDD

So was my mother and I don't have an iq of 200.

It seems to be dependent upon the dose given. They are discussing Katharina Dalton's use of progesterone in this portion of the interview.

Politics & Science: Progesterone Part 1

John Barkhausen: Go ahead, what was she using for, I was going to ask.

RAY PEAT: Premenstrual syndrome which was related to the tendency to miscarry and the women who did have pregnancies usually delivered very prematurely and their babies were usually underweight and tented to have an, I think the average IQ was 90. And so she was giving them the injections to cure their premenstrual syndrome and they would become pregnant and she would continue giving the injections during the pregnancy. Sometimes several hundred milligrams, sometimes up to I think 3,000. milligrams per pregnancy depending on what they seem to need, although researchers found that in lot of women who had the tendency to bleed every month and then miscarry, very often just one dose of progesterone was all it took to stop that monthly bleeding and make them able to carry its term. But anyway, Katharina Dalton treated this large number of patients over the years and someone mentioned that it was interesting with her patients babies, all turned out to be so bright. They were mostly working-class women, and she said, yes, that's hard to believe because these women, the previous babies all had a 90 IQ and so she did a study and found that in fact her babies tended to average 130 IQ just as resolved with the regular progesterone dosing 40 point average increase. And she saw that the intelligence of the babies corresponded to the amount of progesterone she gave to mothers during pregnancy. The ones who got more than 1,500 milligrams per pregnancy turned out the brightest, and they are – in England where working-class kids have very low probability of going to the university and per patient, the ones born after the progesterone treatment had a very high academic success outstanding at all levels of school and got scholarships in university and their personalities were very good. She said the only problem was that they didn't do well in gym class because they didn't liked to march in ranks. Didn’t like to follow orders.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

It seems to be dependent upon the dose given. They are discussing Katharina Dalton's use of progesterone in this portion of the interview.

Politics & Science: Progesterone Part 1

John Barkhausen: Go ahead, what was she using for, I was going to ask.

RAY PEAT: Premenstrual syndrome which was related to the tendency to miscarry and the women who did have pregnancies usually delivered very prematurely and their babies were usually underweight and tented to have an, I think the average IQ was 90. And so she was giving them the injections to cure their premenstrual syndrome and they would become pregnant and she would continue giving the injections during the pregnancy. Sometimes several hundred milligrams, sometimes up to I think 3,000. milligrams per pregnancy depending on what they seem to need, although researchers found that in lot of women who had the tendency to bleed every month and then miscarry, very often just one dose of progesterone was all it took to stop that monthly bleeding and make them able to carry its term. But anyway, Katharina Dalton treated this large number of patients over the years and someone mentioned that it was interesting with her patients babies, all turned out to be so bright. They were mostly working-class women, and she said, yes, that's hard to believe because these women, the previous babies all had a 90 IQ and so she did a study and found that in fact her babies tended to average 130 IQ just as resolved with the regular progesterone dosing 40 point average increase. And she saw that the intelligence of the babies corresponded to the amount of progesterone she gave to mothers during pregnancy. The ones who got more than 1,500 milligrams per pregnancy turned out the brightest, and they are – in England where working-class kids have very low probability of going to the university and per patient, the ones born after the progesterone treatment had a very high academic success outstanding at all levels of school and got scholarships in university and their personalities were very good. She said the only problem was that they didn't do well in gym class because they didn't liked to march in ranks. Didn’t like to follow orders.
Thanks for posting; gold!

@charlie I wonder how she knows that.

Last edited:

HDD

@charlie Thanks for finding that post! My search skills are lacking, clearly a sign of my mother's low progesterone during pregnancy.o_O

LUH 3417

That's very interesting. not writing this to brag or speak highly of myself but all my life I've been considered very bright by the rest of my family. Teachers would also comment and I excelled in school without much effort, but I think the praise was mostly from my family because I stood out among my brothers and cousins. I too came from a working class family and am the first generation to be formally educated.
My mom always talks about how beautiful she was when she was pregnant with me, mainly that her skin would glow and her hair grew in very thick and she felt calm and at ease. I was born on my due date and weighed over 9lbs. I think there is some contention about whether or not birth weight is indicative of health but I would image a heavier baby is a healthy baby. My mom did not receive progesterone therapy while she was pregnant with me but she did receive it after my older brother was born because she miscarried his twin in the 3rd month of pregnancy. Maybe it had some residual effect on me.

dfspcc20

Was there more context around this quote?
Did he just take a course in French, and he decided to do this weekend of cramming before the final?
Was he going in completely cold, without having any prior knowledge of the French language?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals