RP Email Advice Comment: Papaya - Estrogenic?

Aventus

Ray peat recommends papaya but papaya is estrogenic fruit. In some countries it is used as a natural contraceptive and an abortifacient.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Remind me to stay away from papaya!!

key

Aventus said:
Ray peat recommends papaya but papaya is estrogenic fruit. In some countries it is used as a natural contraceptive and an abortifacient.

For centuries it is been claimed that papaya consumption leads to abortion. Not the ripped one, but green or unripe papaya is widely used to induce abortion. It has contraceptive properties due to the presence of phytochemicals which stop the progesterone activity. A doctor, Dr Penisse working to find out relation between papaya and abortion documented that unripe papaya, and that too in large quantities when eaten can cause abortion.
How papaya can cause abortion?

This is a fact that artificial prostaglandin and oxytocin are used during delivery to strengthen labor contractions. Keeping in view this fact one can easily reach conclusion that food items rich in prostaglandin and oxytocin should be avoided during pregnancy to avoid severe complications. Since unripe papaya latex contains prostaglandin and oxytocin, in the form of papain or vegetable pepsin, in high amounts therefore it can be used as a natural remedy for contraception and abortion. It is yet unknown that exactly how much amount of unripe papaya can cause abortion.

For centuries, women from all around the world use green or unripe papaya and papaya seeds for natural abortion. However, it is highly recommended to consult a physician before going for this natural remedy. Also, after having aborted the child this way, a visit to the hospital is mandatory to make sure everything have gone well.

Another notable thing is that although there is no evidence that RIPE papaya has any connection with abortion but still it should be avoided during pregnancy to ensure healthy pregnancy and delivery.

http://www.healthmango.com/pregnancy/pa ... -abortion/

Beastmode

Realizing that this thread is a bit old, but I just asked Ray Peat about papaya for my toddler and he said it's probably what's causing her UTI like symptoms.

Crazy, b/c I thought a ripe papaya would be really good for her as it's soft, sweet, tropical (we live in florida,) etc.

TeaRex14

Does anyone have some validity to back this claim? Very interested, I eat quite a bit of papaya. Would definitely omit immediately if there's ties to estrogen elevation.

XPlus

Papayas are little tricky. They appear ripe at the store but when I take them home I realise they are not pleasant to eat. If Im lucky they are only edible half way through with the rest being too bitter, too tough and too fibrous. The latex is sure to secrew with my GI the next day.
The ones at the supermarket are often imported. They are of commercial quality. Properly ripe papaya have 1-3 days peak shelf life and can dent easily. Even in papya producing ocountries, no one seems to want to move them around much.
A Sri Lankan friend explained to me that they have several varieties of papaya. The only one of which considered export quality is called the red lady. The locals beleive its inferior compared to the other types but its worthwhile for farmers because it can be picked unripe, withstand the horrors of transport and ripen up somewhat on the way to destination - just like junk bananas.
Best place to buy them is farmers market when in season.
I ate good papyas in south east asian countries. They were often yellow not red, have a melt in your mouth feeling, noticably aromatic with pleasant taste that is sweet and have no detectable bitterness.
Crazy, b/c I thought a ripe papaya would be really good for her as it's soft, sweet, tropical (we live in florida,) etc.
The papaya I tried in Florida was propably some of best commercial papaya i had. Still l think it comes from stressed plantations.

Last edited:
I believe papaya is not for human consumption at all. Here we have lots of it growing around, nobody eats it, because wild papaya is never ripe and sweet, its has texture of hard pumpkin, its bitter, green and releases lots of latex. It looks like all commercial varieties went through hybridization and selection in order to be sold and eaten. But I have to admit I like some of commercial breeds, sometimes its a taste-bud orgasm.