RP Email Advice Comment: Umami

burtlancast

Dear Dr. Peat,

Are there any concerns regarding the regular use of umami boosting ingredients such as soya sauce and fish sauce?

Answer:

No.

Not quite following Ray here; he's on record to avoid aspartate and glutamate
Excitotoxicity, in its simplest sense, is the harmful cellular effect (death or injury) caused by an excitatory transmitter such as glutamate or aspartate acting on a cell whose energetic reserves aren't adequate to sustain the level of activity provoked by the transmitter.

Soybeans fermented traditionnally are notorious for freeing glutamate and triggering headaches in msg sensible people.

Soybeans fermented traditionnally are notorious for freeing glutamate and triggering headaches in msg sensible people.

Yeah. Hence the concern. I don't experience anything negative from both soya and fish sauce though.

tomisonbottom

I believe that's because there's a difference between soy beans and soy sauce because there isn't as much, if any of the original soy protein left in soy sauce.

Dr. Lita Lee's website has a whole article on how estrogenic soy is; with the exception of soy sauce. So it seems there's quite a difference, assuming you don't eat several ounces of it at a time..

I'm sure gluten free soy sauce is safer too.

Back
Top Bottom