RP Email Advice Comment: Salmon, Avocado And Rice

Lightbringer

The salmon, avocado, and rice are a good balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrate; maybe fat cheese could be substituted for the salmon sometimes.

Wait, what :hairpull

zooma

Wait, what :hairpull

Usually I think people can misunderstand RP as saying only a select few foods are okay, but in this case I'm a little thrown off. I wouldn't expect him to suggest that anyone eats salmon or avocado.

tara

Usually I think people can misunderstand RP as saying only a select few foods are okay, but in this case I'm a little thrown off. I wouldn't expect him to suggest that anyone eats salmon or avocado.
I don't think he is. I think he's explaining what it is about his combination that might explain why it seemed helpful, and suggesting something else (cheese) that might be preferable to salmon.
I wouldn't take this as a general recommendation that everyone, or everyone with a TBI, should eat salmon, avocado and rice. I'd take it as a recommendation to consider getting a suitable mix of fats, protein and carbs, possibly including cheese.

Sheila

Dear Zooma,
I was also surprised initially but, on reflection, it is a elegant response that specifically relates to my questions.
I suspect Dr Peat was merely responding on the balance available in this selection and how that balance might assist (detailed later in the extracts) in this context. This boy had identified that this combination 'quietened' his brain which is why we were discussing it. He is not saying it is the most optimal combination. I also mentioned that it was eaten rarely. He is not saying it won't do damage long term. Or even short term. He is not suggesting that anyone else (or this boy) eats the combination I wrote. In fact, he is suggesting an alternative, simply and politely in keeping with his utterly anti-authoritarian approach. He is responding to my question of why this combination might quieten a hyper-active brain within this context, not - necessarily - its further applicability for others.
So my thought now is that we should look for similar selections lower in PUFA, with similar macro balance, such as cheese over salmon, that might also give this boy the same response. Because with brain quietening (very different to sedation) comes better processing and development in this boy's case.
The follow on extracts also give good clues as to how else this boy could be helped via foods/balance and ratios.
I will report on progress in due course. We are very lucky here to have a very switched on boy who is willing to give feedback to further his developmental progress. I thank the Institutes educational program for that.
When you see what their kind of programmes do for the IQ and education of brain injured children, we are badly failing 'normal' children with our current systems.....such a shame.
I hope that helps and is, obviously, only my take on the response after some thought.
Best regards
Sheila

Sheila

Ah dear Tara, once again you say in 2 lines what I need somewhat more to detail. Thank you!

tara

In fact, he is suggesting an alternative, simply and politely in keeping with his utterly anti-authoritarian approach. He is responding to my question of why this combination might quieten a hyper-active brain within this context, not - necessarily - its further applicability for others.
That's how I read it too.

tara

Snap :)

zooma

@tara @Sheila I know exactly what you are both saying because it was my initial thought too, but then I stopped to think about it again. Ray will point out the value in any food as we have seen on many of the KMUD shows, even foods that we know he doesn't think are particularly great, except PUFA. To my mind, If Ray were presented with this meal, I honestly think (thought?) he would eat the rice and leave the rest. He even says that the symptoms of the boy point to very low thyroid, then doesn't seem concerned about two foods that cause thyroid problems.

Clearly I am wrong, so I'm going to spend some time tomorrow to understand why. Both foods contain vitamin E so maybe that mitigates the damage. The only mechanism I can see that is both helping the boy and that Ray may see is the potential anti-inflammatory effects of the omega-3. Maybe this could be achieved with gelatin, Sheila?

I appreciate his advice can be different in specific situations like this, but I don't understand PUFA to have any redeeming application.

The dry skin and weak pulse suggest very low thyroid function. The salmon, avocado, and rice are a good balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrate; maybe fat cheese could be substituted for the salmon sometimes. Both sugar and fat stimulate the digestive system hormone that stimulates brain cell renewal. Progesterone helps to reduce tension and excitation, and protects nerves. Pregnenolone reduces stress, and protects nerves.

What?!?

XPlus

Well, that's more digestible than a fish oil fried quinoa burger with a side of raw broccoli.
Some salmon, avocado and rice aren't ideal but I'm glad to see that Peat isn't as extreme as we think.
I can eat bread in peace now.

johnwester130

Peat is not an authoritarian. It's a free country, people can eat what they like.

Avocado once a week is okay.
Salmon once a week is okay.
However brown rice seems bad all the time.

People can take vitamin e, coconut oil, niacinamide and aspirin to block the effect of PUFA.

Eggs with ricotta cheese, and fruit would be superior.

Jsaute21

I am relatively leniant with my food choices but lets not go ahead and recommend salmon as a healthy food. PUFA filled awful source of protein and fats. Extremely estrogenic fish.

aquaman

The responses here are both hilarious and sad.

Ray says the combination is a good one, and people chime in with “what he really meant is it’s evil, it will kill you and He would never eat that”.

In one radio interview his suggestion for living a healthier life is to eat more varied and interesting meals. And yet people here drink half a gallon of OJ and milk a day and freak out about going to a restaurant

Jsaute21

Ray says the combination is a good one, and people chime in with “what he really meant is it’s evil, it will kill you and He would never eat that”.

In one radio interview his suggestion for living a healthier life is to eat more varied and interesting meals. And yet people here drink half a gallon of OJ and milk a day and freak out about going to a restaurant

I encourage you to eat salmon biweekly for a year and see how you feel. I eat out 2x a week and am very non restrictive. Salmon is simply on my don't touch list.

tara

Depends on your context/resources. If you are in poverty and required to live on a mono diet of rice, I think brown rice will provide the necessities of life for longer. I think I may have read of cases of serious deficiency diseases showing up that demonstrated this.

+1

I encourage you to eat salmon biweekly for a year and see how you feel.
I eat a little salmon sushi maybe once a month because I love it, and occasionally socially if someone else serves it. I always enjoy the taste, but I don't think it does me good to eat much of it. Delicious. :) I'm sure I could get sick of it if I overate it.

cyclops

I would have thought brown rice is the least bad out of those three since it has the least pufa.

What varied and interesting meals is Peat eating? He's the one drinking the half gallons of milk and OJ.

Jsaute21

Understood. I think it is essential to diversify ones pallet and enjoy food. I am not restrictive with it really at all besides avoiding PUFA at all costs. This may be intense for some people but i don't really care. I eat pizza, pasta, and other delicious "unhealthy" foods when i see fit and crave them. I don't eat Salmon, chicken skin or other PUFA laden foods. Chicken wings and Peanut butter are honestly the only foods i somewhat miss. My diet is filled with starch, meat, sugar, coffee, milk, chocolate, fruits, ice cream, etc. No complaints on my end.