Roseto Effect - The Connection Between Health And Family Ties

kyle

Roseto effect - Wikipedia

The Roseto effect is the phenomenon by which a close-knit community experiences a reduced rate of heart disease. The effect is named for Roseto, Pennsylvania. The Roseto effect was first noticed in 1961 when the local Roseto doctor encountered Dr. Stewart Wolf, then head of Medicine of the University of Oklahoma, and they discussed, over a couple of beers, the unusually low rate of myocardial infarction in Roseto compared with other locations.[1][2][3] Many studies followed, including a 50-year study comparing nearby Bangor and Nazareth. As the original authors had predicted, as the Bangor cohort shed their Italian social structure and became more Americanized in the years following the initial study, heart disease rose.[4]

From 1954 to 1961, Roseto had nearly no heart attacks for the otherwise high-risk group of men 55 to 64, and men over 65 enjoyed a death rate of 1% while the national average was 2%. Widowers outnumbered widows, too.[1]

These statistics were at odds with a number of other factors observed in the community. They smoked unfiltered stogies, drank wine "with seeming abandon" in lieu of milk and soft drinks, skipped the Mediterranean diet in favor of meatballs and sausages fried in lard with hard and soft cheeses. The men worked in the slate quarries where they contracted illnesses from gases and dust.[5] Roseto also had no crime, and very few applications for public assistance.[5]

Wolf attributed Rosetans' lower heart disease rate to lower stress. "'The community,' Wolf says, 'was very cohesive. There was no keeping up with the Joneses. Houses were very close together, and everyone lived more or less alike.'" Elders were revered and incorporated into community life. Housewives were respected, and fathers ran the families.[2][6]

From my observations most of the young generations struggle with relating to their family. It's too hard swallow their pride in a culture which fumes the flames of the "self." E.g., to be a person means to disregard what anyone says to them and to obey and respect our elders is "square." I think this is 1 factor of many but I think is the biggest problem.

In the long run, Roseto "Americanized" and the ties became similar to the deracinated, atomized suburban model ubiquitous to the USA. I think this is what Peat is pointing at when he refers to extremely individualistic cultures.

I recently spent some time with at a friend's family gathering and appreciated the old guys taking interest in my life and offering advice. Everyone was downing wine and fatty food and everybody without exception was in good spirits. It's good for young people to get that. It's a mutual exchange of good will and knowledge between the generations so lacking today.

What are your thoughts and experiences on the matter?

lvysaur

I think a lot of people (though not all) go through this in high school and college.

jyb

What are your thoughts and experiences on the matter?

Doesn't this "paradox" apply to a few European countries too, as traditionally doctors believe "fatty foods" are bad for the heart? Of course there is no paradox at all if you don't believe that those diets are bad for the heart.

French paradox - Wikipedia

OP
K

kyle

I think a lot of people (though not all) go through this in high school and college.

Well, yes. There are pervasive myths about what being an individual, etc. It isn't natural though. There was no such thing as "teenagers" until social engineering efforts were put into place to divide the generations.

But the entire culture is hostile to family life in general. Social engineering and perverse Hollywood memes pushes people apart. Idiotic books like Ayn Rand became popular.

I suspect many health problems are being caused by this.

Doesn't this "paradox" apply to a few European countries too, as traditionally doctors believe "fatty foods" are bad for the heart? Of course there is no paradox at all if you don't believe that those diets are bad for the heart.

French paradox - Wikipedia

Well, read past the anti-cholesterol/fatty food thing.

The thing that is notable is the rate of disease was lower in this particular town, not due to the diet. The theory is that it is due to the traditional structure of the town.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals