Rosacea, Hair Loss, Lethargic

sappinatree

Hey guys,

I have been following the diet @Elephanto did to restore his hair loss. I noticed that my rosacea really started 4 years ago (freshman year of college) when my hair started receding faster.

I was wondering if my situation is related to Gut health, although I feel that I have regular bowel movements. At least 1-2 times a day, I have also not noticed any food allergies to anything.

Do ya'll have any advice on how I can get rid of rosacea, and regrow my hair? I'm assuming these two factors may be correlated, though I am fairly ignorant in this area.

OP
sappinatree

sappinatree

Have you tried cutting out whole wheat, nuts, and seeds?

Yessir, I don't eat seeds, or nuts. The only nut that I eat occasionally is almonds in the form of unsweetened organic almond milk.

DrJ

I couldn't find the diet you were talking about, but are you getting enough calcium?

OP
sappinatree

sappinatree

I couldn't find the diet you were talking about, but are you getting enough calcium?

Yeah.

The diet is basically Lots of broccoli, peas, lots of coconut oil, lean meats, pineapple, And 3 teaspoons of baking soda after meals.

Sometimes I eat the occasional wild caught salmon, and potatoes, and drink some
Almond milk.

DrJ

That looks extremely calcium poor, especially when you take into account the phosphate you're going to pick up in the meats. I would try adding a good bit of daily cheese to that, and if you can't take cheese, perhaps a calcium supplement.

OP
sappinatree

sappinatree

That looks extremely calcium poor, especially when you take into account the phosphate you're going to pick up in the meats. I would try adding a good bit of daily cheese to that, and if you can't take cheese, perhaps a calcium supplement.

I have a hard time believing that lack of calcium influences rosacea, but I suppose it could influence the hair loss.

DrJ

It will raise your PTH and prolactin, reducing your metabolic rate and nutrient delivery to the extremities so you will be more susceptible to problems otherwise easily overcome by high metabolism.

OP
sappinatree

sappinatree

It will raise your PTH and prolactin, reducing your metabolic rate and nutrient delivery to the extremities so you will be more susceptible to problems otherwise easily overcome by high metabolism.

Hmmm. Well I don't exactly want to start drinking a ton of milk, and i do eat lots of calcium filled veggies. I suppose I could try calcium supplements. Would it be recommended to follow the daily value or exceed it for a little while?

DrJ

Hmmm. Well I don't exactly want to start drinking a ton of milk, and i do eat lots of calcium filled veggies. I suppose I could try calcium supplements. Would it be recommended to follow the daily value or exceed it for a little while?
You could track on Chronometer to see, but peas and broccoli are not all that high in calcium. I would get at least 1g per day. I personally do better at 1.5g - 2g per day. Keep in mind things like phosphate/phosphorous will bind some of your calcium, as will common additives like citric acid, effectively increasing your calcium requirement. If you increase your calcium intake, you usually need to increase your magnesium intake, especially if you tend towards hypothyroidism.

OP
sappinatree

sappinatree

You could track on Chronometer to see, but peas and broccoli are not all that high in calcium. I would get at least 1g per day. I personally do better at 1.5g - 2g per day. Keep in mind things like phosphate/phosphorous will bind some of your calcium, as will common additives like citric acid, effectively increasing your calcium requirement. If you increase your calcium intake, you usually need to increase your magnesium intake, especially if you tend towards hypothyroidism.

My thyroid level was 1.2 last time I had it checked. I'll give calcium a shot.

Literally

I used to have Roscaea and it more or less went away, but I can't say exactly why. One thing to be aware of is that there is a bacterial infection component, so using some safe antibiotics topically, or just cleansing the face well can help. Also, observe what your trigger foods are.

OP
sappinatree

sappinatree

I used to have Roscaea and it more or less went away, but I can't say exactly why. One thing to be aware of is that there is a bacterial infection component, so using some safe antibiotics topically, or just cleansing the face well can help. Also, observe what your trigger foods are.

I am concerned about the use of anti-biotics. I know I should avoid foods that would trigger, but sadly, I’m not sure what my triggers would be. I don’t eat PUFA, Hardly any dairy, or gluten/bread/grains.

Andman

I am concerned about the use of anti-biotics. I know I should avoid foods that would trigger, but sadly, I’m not sure what my triggers would be. I don’t eat PUFA, Hardly any dairy, or gluten/bread/grains.

Yeah.

The diet is basically Lots of broccoli, peas, lots of coconut oil, lean meats, pineapple, And 3 teaspoons of baking soda after meals.

Sometimes I eat the occasional wild caught salmon, and potatoes, and drink some
Almond milk.

no PUFA huh? thats the first thing id drop

Literally

>> I am concerned about the use of anti-biotics.

There are people on this forum who can tell you about some safer antibiotics -- like minocycline and tetracycline I think? Don't take my word for it, but look into them. Ray has said they aren't even really true antibiotics I think.

>> I’m not sure what my triggers would be.

Watch your face after you eat. Write down what you ate for a while and whether your face turned red after half an hour. You may find some patterns. This is a shot in the dark but if you are getting too much sugar it could feed bacteria.

OP
sappinatree

sappinatree

no PUFA huh? thats the first thing id drop

I guess there is probably some PUFA in my coconut oil.

>> I am concerned about the use of anti-biotics.

There are people on this forum who can tell you about some safer antibiotics -- like minocycline and tetracycline I think? Don't take my word for it, but look into them. Ray has said they aren't even really true antibiotics I think.

>> I’m not sure what my triggers would be.

Watch your face after you eat. Write down what you ate for a while and whether your face turned red after half an hour. You may find some patterns. This is a shot in the dark but if you are getting too much sugar it could feed bacteria.

I suppose that's something I could try. I just hope this isn't something I have to cope with. I would think rosacea would have to be all internal, so I want to figure out how I can solve that, fixing the problem for good.

Aaron

Shooooot. I’ll make sure to drop the almond milk and salmon then.

I wouldn't, personally. While I recommend keeping nuts and seeds to a small quantity, I noticed no benefit from cutting them out entirely, and wild salmon always makes me feel fantastic. The bulk of the work in reducing PUFA is simply not eating certain refined oils and not making a habit of eating nuts and seeds. The issue I might have with almond milk is any emulsifiers and additives it might contain. Gelatin and greek yogurt are also Peat-friendly, and potentially also turmeric. Anything that helps the gut will help autoimmune issues. The majority of the immune system resides in the gut.

OP
sappinatree

sappinatree

I wouldn't, personally. While I recommend keeping nuts and seeds to a small quantity, I noticed no benefit from cutting them out entirely, and wild salmon always makes me feel fantastic. The bulk of the work in reducing PUFA is simply not eating certain refined oils and not making a habit of eating nuts and seeds. The issue I might have with almond milk is any emulsifiers and additives it might contain. Gelatin and greek yogurt are also Peat-friendly, and potentially also turmeric. Anything that helps the gut will help autoimmune issues. The majority of the immune system resides in the gut.

I definitely avoid refined oils and don’t eat too many nuts, aside from the almond milk that I’ve drank. I’m just having a hard time figuring out what I can eat that fixes my gut. Do you think that maybe my symptoms are a result of candida? Or something else.