Role Of Serotonin In Melanogenesis In The Skin

Drareg

"Pigmentation of the skin may result from increased production of melanin which includes melanocyte proliferation, melanin biosynthesis or melanocyte migration. Several factors affect the process of melanin production, but the role of serotonin is not clear in this process. Recently, we found that serotonin affected several steps in melanogenesis of melanocytes and melanomas leading to increased melanin production. Usually serotonin exerts several effects through serotonin receptors and we found that the serotonin receptor 2A is involved in melanogenesis using gene silencing techniques as well as a serotonin receptor 2A agonist and serotonin receptor 2A antagonists. Several pigmentary disorders including vitiligo or melasma are still problems in the field of dermatology. So, control of these pigmentary disorders is needed and our findings suggest that a serotonin receptor 2A agonist might be useful for the treatment of vitiligo and an antagonist might be helpful for melasma."

Interesting ,is lisuride an agonist?
Cyproheptadine ,metergoline and ritanserine are antagonists?
Would these substances suit a certain epigentic expression more than others?

haidut

Forum Supporter
"Pigmentation of the skin may result from increased production of melanin which includes melanocyte proliferation, melanin biosynthesis or melanocyte migration. Several factors affect the process of melanin production, but the role of serotonin is not clear in this process. Recently, we found that serotonin affected several steps in melanogenesis of melanocytes and melanomas leading to increased melanin production. Usually serotonin exerts several effects through serotonin receptors and we found that the serotonin receptor 2A is involved in melanogenesis using gene silencing techniques as well as a serotonin receptor 2A agonist and serotonin receptor 2A antagonists. Several pigmentary disorders including vitiligo or melasma are still problems in the field of dermatology. So, control of these pigmentary disorders is needed and our findings suggest that a serotonin receptor 2A agonist might be useful for the treatment of vitiligo and an antagonist might be helpful for melasma."

Interesting ,is lisuride an agonist?
Cyproheptadine ,metergoline and ritanserine are antagonists?
Would these substances suit a certain epigentic expression more than others?

I think lisuride's effect on 5-HT2A is not very clear. Agonists like LSD have hallucinogenic effects while lisuride does not. I think lisuride may be 5-HT2C agonist even though that is disputed as well. It is definitely 5-HT2B antagonist and heavily pro-dopamine. Given that dopamine agonists potently inhibit TPH and thus overall serotonin synthesis I think the overall effects of lisuride with chronic use would be anti-serotonergic.
Cyproheptadine, metergoline and ritanserin would be more direct antagonists of 5-HT2A and thus better suited for melanoma, even though the 5-HT2B receptor seems involved in cancer as well, so blocking it with these drugs or lisuride may also play a very important role.
The Serotonin Receptor 5-HT2B Is Required For Cancer; Can Be Blocked

OP
Drareg

Drareg

I think lisuride's effect on 5-HT2A is not very clear. Agonists like LSD have hallucinogenic effects while lisuride does not. I think lisuride may be 5-HT2C agonist even though that is disputed as well. It is definitely 5-HT2B antagonist and heavily pro-dopamine. Given that dopamine agonists potently inhibit TPH and thus overall serotonin synthesis I think the overall effects of lisuride with chronic use would be anti-serotonergic.
Cyproheptadine, metergoline and ritanserin would be more direct antagonists of 5-HT2A and thus better suited for melanoma, even though the 5-HT2B receptor seems involved in cancer as well, so blocking it with these drugs or lisuride may also play a very important role.
The Serotonin Receptor 5-HT2B Is Required For Cancer; Can Be Blocked

I was exploring this from the angle of increased greying of hair potentially,the antagonists that is.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I was exploring this from the angle of increased greying of hair potentially,the antagonists that is.

There are human studies with dopamine agonists showing reversal of grey hair. I think bromcriptine was used for those, so lisuride should work as well, and the anti-serotonin chemicals should also work.
The study you posted mentioned melanoma in the context of pigmentation, hence my response.

paymanz

Please post references regarding dopamine agonist reversing grey hair, especially bromo.that's very interesting.

If remembering them at the moment...

Edit:
I found these two,

Darkening of white hair in Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Darkening of white hair in Parkinson's disease during use of levodopa rich Mucuna pruriens extract powder. - PubMed - NCBI

It is nice, the other similar thing I found before was a case report of a patient in his 70 revered his gray hairs after accidentally became hyperthyroid for a short period of time, and it was t4 only therapy.if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
OP
Drareg

Drareg

I'm currently applying lisuride to the temple area in the right side only to see if it effects the grey that has begun.

There seems to be a strange pattern the greying follows,with a beard it begins around the muzzle and does the same thing with dogs and probably other animals.
The temple area is also interesting,you could speculate on the morphogenetic field being involved.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals