Role Of Potassium And Insulin In Regulation Of Blood Sugar

Discussion in 'Blood Sugar' started by remi, Apr 1, 2019.

1. remi

remi New Member

Hi, first I'm French so I'm sorry if my English it's not perfect.

Dr Peat said that : "Insulin is important in the regulation of blood sugar, but its importance has been exaggerated because of the diabetes/insulin industry. Insulin itself has been found to account for only about 8% of the "insulin-like activity" of the blood, with potassium being probably the largest factor. There probably isn't any process in the body that doesn't potentially affect blood sugar."

I did my own research but I found anything that confirms that.

Does someone can explain me or has some studies to explain how potassium play a major role in regulation of blood sugar level and his absorption ? Because according to Peat, potatoes is good because there is a lot of potassium to help the absorption of glucose but the glycemic index, insulin index are high and when I eat well cook potatoes often I have an attack of exhaustion (=tired, I don't know exactly the word for explain this sensation) 1 or 2 hours after meal.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Type1D

Type1D New Member

I was also wondering this same question. Does anyone know the best source for potassium. Being type 1 diabetic I am trying to figure out the best way to approach this diet. Not sure if I should give more insulin to eat the potatoes?

3. baccheion

baccheion Member

Potassium, chromium, etc ease burden on insulin release by shuttling nutrients into cells. Vitamin K2 MK-4 collects in the pancreas and increases insulin sensitivity.

Many fruits contain potassium.

Vitamin C also needs insulin to be absorbed and has some sort of normalizing effect.

In my case, sour things/taste and salt decrease crash after carbs. On the other hand, I'm not diabetic and have a gene mutation that results in less amylase.