Rocking Puts Adults To Sleep Faster And Makes Slumber Deeper

jzeno

Whole-Night Continuous Rocking Entrains Spontaneous Neural Oscillations with Benefits for Sleep and Memory. - PubMed - NCBI

Highlights
  • Rocking boosts deep sleep, sleep maintenance, and memory in healthy sleepers
  • Fast spindles increase during rocking and synchronize with the slow oscillation up-state
  • Rocking-induced overnight memory improvement relates to increased sigma activity
  • Continuous rocking stimulation actively entrains intrinsic sleep oscillations
Effective in mice, too: Rocking Promotes Sleep in Mice through Rhythmic Stimulation of the Vestibular System. - PubMed - NCBI

I've never heard of this before, but according to some online forums it's actually quite popular.

I rock myself to sleep every night. | Is It Normal? | isitnormal.com

Post with over 90+ comments, mostly affirming they rock themselves to sleep despite age, sex, and other factors. Some stating they've been doing it their entire life.

tankasnowgod

I believe Andrew Fletcher mentions this in the IBT thread. Rocking, or any motion, helps circulation and the GI tract at night. Tossing and turning at night is essentially a way to create your own "rocking" motion.

Cirion

Interesting. I actually used to do this when I was younger, thought I was weird for doing it so I never admitted it to anyone lol. I think there's something to it.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
This is great:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom