Rock Bottom

Endew

If one wanted to climb out from the abyss of depression and ptsd. What would one take/do?

raypeatclips

Exercise, nofap, see a therapist, quit a job if its making you depressed, get a job if you're unemployed, preferably one that is meaningful. Get as much sunlight as you can, or use sunbeds/uvb lamp/vitamin D supps. Eat delicious foods that you would like to eat (rather than obsess over the specific nutrition of specific foods.) Create interesting meals using foods and recipes you've wanted to make. Eat a serving of liver a week, some oysters weekly, egg yolks daily. Eat some ice cream. Drink some coffee. Smoke a cigarette. Listen to your favourite music. Pick up an old hobby you used to love but have neglected. Try a new hobby. Visit somewhere nice. Get out of the house more and move around more. Read a book you can get lost in the story of. Get off the internet more.

YourUniverse

Coffee, fruit, milk, salt, and sunlight to your hearts content.

PTSD could be related to low thyroid, so the above suggestions + adding a thyroid supp might be worth exploring.

jet9

Exercise.
Normalize circadian rhythm. (bright sunlight at sunrise, less computer time after sunset or use sunglasses)
Bigger breakfast, smaller dinner.

Herbie

Exercise, nofap, see a therapist, quit a job if its making you depressed, get a job if you're unemployed, preferably one that is meaningful. Get as much sunlight as you can, or use sunbeds/uvb lamp/vitamin D supps. Eat delicious foods that you would like to eat (rather than obsess over the specific nutrition of specific foods.) Create interesting meals using foods and recipes you've wanted to make. Eat a serving of liver a week, some oysters weekly, egg yolks daily. Eat some ice cream. Drink some coffee. Smoke a cigarette. Listen to your favourite music. Pick up an old hobby you used to love but have neglected. Try a new hobby. Visit somewhere nice. Get out of the house more and move around more. Read a book you can get lost in the story of. Get off the internet more.

100% agree

Nebula

If one wanted to climb out from the abyss of depression and ptsd. What would one take/do?
It probably depends a lot on what is causing it in the first place. The last time I hit a relative rock bottom some of the things that I think helped the most were:
  • Regular time in nature. Hiking to the top of a good view, or exploring somewhere new
  • Waking up just before sun rise and spending the first hour or two of the day outside.
  • Some type of short intense exercise. Sprinting worked wonders for my mood and metabolism. Just 8-10 seconds, 3-4 sets 3 times per week
  • Delicious, easy to digest meals
  • Sunbathing near midday for about 5 minutes laying down on each side
  • Going to bed around sunset, no bright lights near bedtime
  • Spending daily time on hobbies that are fun and creative, especially social ones
  • Setting goals weekly for the main areas of life, working on them daily, and evaluating how I did at the end of the week before setting goals for the next week
  • Switching to a job that fits my personality better
  • Getting into a pleasant living situation with roommates that I have some common interests and values with
  • Forgiving family and others for things that are no longer important or relevant
  • Having a general intention of being generous, helpful, and uplifting in all interactions with others whenever possible or wise to do so. Going out of your way occasionally to help someone in need
These are things that shouldn't at least be harmful to try for most people and might have great benefits if done consistently. There's probably a lot more you can think of that will be specifically helpful for you, but I would consider coming up with some basic positive things you can make part of a daily routine to give your mind some expectation of pleasant things that you can reliably enjoy daily.

Last edited:
OP
E

Endew

Thank you

DaveFoster

An orgasm lowers cortisol, and NoFap can leave one agitated. Stress often triggers the urge to masturbate.

OP
E

Endew

Coffee, fruit, milk, salt, and sunlight to your hearts content.

PTSD could be related to low thyroid, so the above suggestions + adding a thyroid supp might be worth exploring.

Thanks. What would be the benefits of a fruit and milk diet?

Waremu

Try to get enough zinc with each meal, spread out between 3-4 meals at least. Not too much ejaculation (men need much more zinc the more they ejaculate). Aim to eat 400-500 grams of choline per day, and plenty of folate. Eat a few oysters every other day to ensure enough zinc and selenium. Carrots daily. Cut out hard starches for the time being. Take a 5 grams of creatine per day. Eat at least 0.5-1 gram of glycine for every gram of methionine you eat. So for example, 2 grams methionine = 1-2 grams of glycine from supplement or gelatin per day. Enough Vitamin A, D, and K2 with your highest fat meal in the day, preferably earlier in the day. Get sunshine and try to walk every day. Plenty of magnesium as well. Some coffee as well can really help, especially when eating oysters (dopamine increase). All these things built on a high fruit and milk diet has worked wonders for me. Also manage stress in your life and think more positively if you can.

Last edited:
Well, after EMDR, what is important is neurotransmitter recovery:

You will need support of 100mg+ niacinamide daily. Eat spicy food with chili pepper to reduce Substance P and increases endorphins, active substance is Capsaicin.
Researchers from Uppsala University and the medical university Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden, found that people with posttraumatic stress disorder have an imbalance between two neurochemical systems in the brain, serotonin, and substance P.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/ptsd-s...-serotonin-and-substance-p-brain-study-363678

Role of Substance P in Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Edit: additional ways to reduce Substance P:

I would try a little MDMA crystals plus 1gr vitamin C antioxidant (Vit E, B6, Mg)
Using Ecstasy to treat PTSD: 'I felt like my soul snapped back into place'
Or some Magic mushrooms.
Or thyroid T3 plus Rhodiola Rosea or Ashwagandha

Last edited:

inthedark

I've found small doses of Metergoline to be helpful in allowing me to confront and change harmful patterns and habits of thought and learned helplessness while being less afraid to try new things. I suggest reading the thread here on Idealabs' Metergoline.

Jem Oz

Some good advice here. Also consider finding a kickass psychotherapist skilled in dealing with trauma. Rare as hen's teeth but they exist. Have PTSD myself and therapy has helped immeasurably. Good luck.

raypeatclips

An orgasm lowers cortisol, and NoFap can leave one agitated. Stress often triggers the urge to masturbate.

Also raises prolactin. I have noticed a profound numbing effect from over masturbating, and it gives me depressing effect where I have no motivation to do anything, even improve basic hygiene, a trait of depression. There are many, many reports of people experiencing the same things online, masturbation induced depression. Then the stopping of masturbation allows a change where people begin to feel less depressed. For the context and circumstances, I think nofap is appropriate.

It is true that stress does trigger the urge to masturbate but that isn't the only way of lowering stress. Doing a workout would be more beneficial when the urge arises at first.

Some good advice here. Also consider finding a kickass psychotherapist skilled in dealing with trauma. Rare as hen's teeth but they exist. Have PTSD myself and therapy has helped immeasurably. Good luck.

+1 Not everything can be fixed by orange juice and supplements. This forum is quite narrow minded when it comes to mental issues IMO.

YourUniverse

Thanks. What would be the benefits of a fruit and milk diet?
What you're asking is sort of a summary of Ray's work, but the benefits of each of those things is generally to lower serotonin, increase dopamine mostly through lowered prolactin, lower ammonia and lactate, lower inflammation and bolster stress resistance, energy, and thyroid.

Depression or the feeling of hitting rock bottom is associated with just about every one of the things listed above.

Avoiding foods that increase prolactin can be just as important as seeking foods that lower it. Wheat, soy, and cows dairy (at least, in my experience, without adequate vitamin C or orange juice) tend to make me more lazy and more mucousy, which are general symptoms of prolactin.

Peatful

Some sound advice so far and I would only add:
Know you can recover. It won’t always be this dark.

(Oh- eat plenty of calories too of nutrient dense easy to digest foods.)

YourUniverse

Know you can recover. It won’t always be this dark.
+50

Ill add something - depression is almost never from poor nutrition. Good nutrition, though, can be the catalyst and provide the energy needed to get to the bottom of what the real issue is, wherever it is you feel youre stuck.