Ritanserin - Serotonin Antagonist For R&D Use Only

Soren

Forum Supporter
Is the method of action for help with withdrawal the reduction of serotonin or its affects on dopamine or both?

vetiver

This stuff gives me a puffy face for some reason, like very immediately. Otherwise made me more chill and detached (disconnected?)

Soren

Forum Supporter
This stuff gives me a puffy face for some reason, like very immediately. Otherwise made me more chill and detached (disconnected?)

That sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Have you ever had that kind of reaction to anything before?

Would like to comment on my experience with ritanserin.

The first few nights I took this (full dose) I can remember vividly how much better of sleep I received from this. It really was a night and day difference. I will have to say the effect seemed to drop off after some point...maybe I just became use to it?

I also learned that taking it in the morning had a better effect then at night. Haidut had posted something on this forum that there was a 90% effectiveness when taking in the morning vs 70% taken at night.

I can also comment on the fact that 12 drops was a bit too much for me in the area of mood. It really weighed down on my mood and made many things seemed "unfulfilling" almost as if nothing was satisfying.

I have now dropped down to 3 drops in the morning and 1 drop before bed and experience much better days.

Overall I have to say thank you Haidut for the recommendation. Am on the way to creating a thriving atmosphere within my organism :)

If anyone happens to know, is there something as powerful as this in terms of improving SWS?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Would like to comment on my experience with ritanserin.

The first few nights I took this (full dose) I can remember vividly how much better of sleep I received from this. It really was a night and day difference. I will have to say the effect seemed to drop off after some point...maybe I just became use to it?

I also learned that taking it in the morning had a better effect then at night. Haidut had posted something on this forum that there was a 90% effectiveness when taking in the morning vs 70% taken at night.

I can also comment on the fact that 12 drops was a bit too much for me in the area of mood. It really weighed down on my mood and made many things seemed "unfulfilling" almost as if nothing was satisfying.

I have now dropped down to 3 drops in the morning and 1 drop before bed and experience much better days.

Overall I have to say thank you Haidut for the recommendation. Am on the way to creating a thriving atmosphere within my organism :)

If anyone happens to know, is there something as powerful as this in terms of improving SWS?

Thank you for the great feedback! And yes, less is sometimes more with many of these chemicals.

DennisX

haidut how is it going the launch roadmap for that promising full 5-HT1A antagonist? I hoped it was Lecozotan, but you said it isnt... Im very hyped about that after the libido crashing effect that ritanserin had on me.. :(

WAY 100 635 is also a good 5-HT1A antagonist. But it costs $450 for 1gm !

natedawggh

@haidut I really liked Ritanserin's effects, except that it made me gain 12 pounds in one week after finally having gotten down to a weight I was happy about. It's been a struggle to get rid of, though I haven't done any specific dieting techniques yet, being tired of having done them for so long previously. Why would Ritanserin have caused weight gain?

Peata

@haidut I really liked Ritanserin's effects, except that it made me gain 12 pounds in one week after finally having gotten down to a weight I was happy about. It's been a struggle to get rid of, though I haven't done any specific dieting techniques yet, being tired of having done them for so long previously. Why would Ritanserin have caused weight gain?
Did it cause a noticeably increased appetite like Cypro can do?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

No idea, I looked at some older studied on ritanserin and it seems that it had that effects on rats but in high doses only. How much were you experimenting with?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
WAY 100 635 is also a good 5-HT1A antagonist. But it costs $450 for 1gm !

I should have the first batch of the new serotonin antagonist this Friday, so hoping I would be able to release it this week. If it pans out the way I expect it to, I may retire ritanserin and replace with another serotonin antagonist. There are some chemicals similar to ondansetron that have really good profile and do not have the heart side effects or the constipation side effects of ondansetron.

natedawggh

No idea, I looked at some older studied on ritanserin and it seems that it had that effects on rats but in high doses only. How much were you experimenting with?

It was the recommended dosage, but a few days I did it twice. Since it's like cypro, is it understood why cypro will cause weight gain? Shouldn't a reduction in serotonin theoretically cause a reduction in adipose tissue?

raypeatclips

Since it's like cypro, is it understood why cypro will cause weight gain? Shouldn't a reduction in serotonin theoretically cause a reduction in adipose tissue?

Serotonin is an appetite suppressant, cypro lowers serotonin so increases appetite so the weight gain is caused by the increased food now being eaten, I believe is a common explanation.

natedawggh

Serotonin is an appetite suppressant, cypro lowers serotonin so increases appetite so the weight gain is caused by the increased food now being eaten, I believe is a common explanation.

I can see that, except while I was hungrier I didn't actually eat any more food than usual, which is a lot. I average 3-4k calories a day and ate the same amounts of the same types that I usually do. Also, that would mean calorie excess is the cause of weight gain, which it isn't at it's core. Like, something has to stimulate the fat deposition?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
It was the recommended dosage, but a few days I did it twice. Since it's like cypro, is it understood why cypro will cause weight gain? Shouldn't a reduction in serotonin theoretically cause a reduction in adipose tissue?

Peripheral blockade of serotonin receptors does cause loss in adipose tissues. However, apparently ritanserin and other chemicals like it preferentially target the serotonin receptors in the CNS. Similar to minocycline, which is most active in the CNS even though it has systemic effects as well.
My guess would be like the other comment above - blocking serotonin receptors lowers cortisol and blood sugar thus triggering hunger. I always get hungry if I take ritanserin, lisuride, bromocriptine, cypro, ondansteron, etc and they are all quite consistent in that effect for me.

tara

Since it's like cypro, is it understood why cypro will cause weight gain?
Cyproheptadine is apparently sometimes prescribed to help restore appetite in dangerous anorexia.

natedawggh

Cyproheptadine is apparently sometimes prescribed to help restore appetite in dangerous anorexia.
Peripheral blockade of serotonin receptors does cause loss in adipose tissues. However, apparently ritanserin and other chemicals like it preferentially target the serotonin receptors in the CNS. Similar to minocycline, which is most active in the CNS even though it has systemic effects as well.
My guess would be like the other comment above - blocking serotonin receptors lowers cortisol and blood sugar thus triggering hunger. I always get hungry if I take ritanserin, lisuride, bromocriptine, cypro, ondansteron, etc and they are all quite consistent in that effect for me.

But appetite does not necessarily equal fat deposition, so that must be something else, perhaps something to do with another channel apart from serotonin. I don't naturally have a very good tendency to experience uncoupling, which would just burn calories for heat, and didn't experience any uncoupling while using ritanserin. In fact, I think I experienced a drop in body temperature.

allblues

Blocking serotonin lowers cortisol, which would then leave insulin unopposed -> fat gain?