Ridged Fingernails And Nutrient Deficiencies

Dan W

I have vertically-ridged fingernails, which many alternative-health people claim indicates a nutrient deficiency. But the commonly-claimed missing nutrients (calcium, magnesium, zinc, B-vitamins) are pretty high in my Peat-ey diet.

So I'm curious, anyone else on a Peat-ish diet have ridged fingernails? Or insight as to what might cause them?

SheilaHelm1

I also have them... annoying because the ridges make the nails chip. I have noticed a slight improvement since taking niacinamide but have started with Cynomel too so it could be that.. who knows ha ha.

cliff

Is your digestion ok?

narouz

I've got the ridges too--running lengthwise as the fingers run.
Had 'em so long I can't remember when I haven't.

Also, I have a few horizontal dents or dips.
On my big toe toenails I have a lot of those and pretty deep.

I've tended to think they are related to my hypothyroidism.

Thought I might see a change with all the gelatin and calcium I get on a Peat diet
but...nope.
But I think I still have not really got my thyroid working like it should.
Possible I'm in a small sub-category of hypos
who have trouble with T4 or even T4/T3 combos....

Or maybe just longterm PUFA poisoning.

Edward

I've noticed that babies have them when they are first born. I've had them periodically but they do seem to dissipate when I eat zinc rich foods. I'm not sure if it is directly related to zinc or not because foods rich in zinc tend to have other vitamins and minerals that would be at play in skin and nail metabolism. People also seem to develop them as they age which would fit in nicely with the metabolic aspect. It's probably some combination of the two but I haven't seen anything to convince me in either direction.

OP
Dan W

Dan W

cliff said:
Is your digestion ok?

My digestion seems good, but fast. I discovered I have high serotonin levels, so maybe my digestion will slow down and absorb more nutrients as I lower serotonin...

cliff

That could definitely help, taking thyroid if you don't would probably help too as that helps you retain minerals.

Mito

I have vertically-ridged fingernails, which many alternative-health people claim indicates a nutrient deficiency. But the commonly-claimed missing nutrients (calcium, magnesium, zinc, B-vitamins) are pretty high in my Peat-ey diet.

So I'm curious, anyone else on a Peat-ish diet have ridged fingernails? Or insight as to what might cause them?
Old thread...but curious if you were ever able to resolve your vertical fingernail ridges?

OP
Dan W

Dan W

Old thread...but curious if you were ever able to resolve your vertical fingernail ridges?
No, they're still there. I haven't kept a close eye on them, but I don't think I've noticed any variation of them with any of my nutritional/supplement experiments either.