Logan-

Does anyone here consume rice vermicelli? It’s made of rice and water. Seems like a good option for people who cannot tolerate eggs and gluten. The downside is, it’s all starch; hence it can feed bacteria in the gut, increase endotoxins, intestinal permeability, inflammation etc.

Thoroughly cooking it so that it is softer and more absorbable and less is available for the bacteria, and mixing it with coconut oil could help with this problem.

Another very important problem with rice sticks is, since it is cooked starch, when eaten, it causes massive insulin spikes, causing reactive hypoglycaemia, thus causing a crash in energy levels, and many other problems because of that.

Another problem is persorption.

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

A thin noodle made from rice flour and water, which is available in various widths. The widths are basically classified as thin, medium and wide. The thin rice stick noodles are used for spring rolls, soups and salads. The medium noodle is the most popular and is used for stir-fries, soups, salads and as a bed for fish or meat to be served on. Wide rice stick noodles are used in stir-fries, soup and braised dishes. The noodles should be presoaked in hot water until they are softened and then boiled or stir-fried for no more than a minute. This noodle may also be referred to as a rice-flour noodle.

OP
L

Logan-

Another problem is persorption.

538F90D7-D6C5-416B-9429-B322DA293D01.jpeg

OP
L

Logan-

so someone recently posted a study about water-boiled starch granules being literally too large to pass thru the gut lining. That actually led me to start incorporating mashed potatoes this last week, with incredible results for someone who’d shut down after a bite of any starch. Less sat fat used in it, too, and still better results!

That leads me to believe that boiled pasta is indeed a preferable form to bread.

As an aside, I found studies showing 7 day aged sourdoughs having no detectable gluten left and being safe for celiacs disease… so a super combo of pasta made with such fermented dough would be awesome

Is pasta actually superior to bread? What about phyllo dough and raisin bran?

Has anyone seen that study?

OP
L

Logan-

"Rinsing rice before cooking may reduce arsenic content to some extent. Some research indicates that the amount of arsenic in rice can be cut by as much as 40 percent if the rice is boiled in a large volume of water like pasta and excess water discarded." (EWG)

"High volume water : rice cooking did effectively remove both total and inorganic arsenic for the long-grain and basmati rice (parboiled was not investigated in high volume cooking water experiment), by 35% and 45% for total and inorganic arsenic content, respectively, compared to uncooked (raw) rice. To reduce arsenic content of cooked rice, specifically the inorganic component, rinse washing and high volume of cooking water are effective." (Source)

Cook rice like pasta :

1. Rinse one cup of rice in a strainer
  • Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large pot
  • Add rice, cook until ready, about 10-12 minutes
  • Drain off the water in the strainer
  • Enjoy

OP
L

Logan-

Peat has expressed concern about persorption of starch granules into the system. I think this applies to raw and dry-baked starches but not so much to wet-cooked grains where the starch becomes well gelatinised (I would expect pasta to not have this issue, but maybe dry crackers and shortbread would, and dryish bread or cake maybe somewhere in between?).

What About Gluten Free Pasta/starches?

OP
L

Logan-

Another very important problem with rice sticks is, since it is cooked starch, when eaten, it causes massive insulin spikes, causing reactive hypoglycaemia, thus causing a crash in energy levels, and many other problems because of that.

Im also non celiac gluten sensitive and have been gluten free for several years. As per the OPs concern about insulin sensitivity I recently saw a study that says that people eating gluten free food have a higher risk of developing diabetes. If you cant eat gluten I would think the vbest thing to do is always always have protein and fat with gluten free products to reduce the blood sugar spike.
@Xisca's suggestion to limit it (and all carbs) in the morning is a good idea to maintain energy throughout the day

What About Gluten Free Pasta/starches?

OP
L

Logan-

2AD43E7C-6BC6-4747-B5A7-087D1E3E1DBC.jpeg

OP
L

Logan-

"Potato, yams; occasionally well-cooked grains in the order of best to least desirable: masa harina, white rice or oats, brown rice. The phytic acid in the oats block absorption of much of the calcium; cooking the oats much longer than usual might improve its nutritional value. Canned plain pumpkin if eaten with some fat is okay, but carrots are less starchy for similar effects."

This is part of a list of dietary guidelines put together on another website. It is also copied onto this forum.

I eat rice and sometimes rice cakes.

Eating rice cakes/crackers

OP
L

Logan-

salivary amylase can affect how quick the 'rapidly digestible portion' of starches enters the bloodstream, but I read a study that said after 30 minutes in the
small intestine, pancreatic enzymes overwhelmed any difference in salivary amylase. If you have compromised digestion, chewing more could theoretically help because the partially hydrolyzed starch would have about a foot more of intestine time to be split by intestinal cell spilitting maltase (into glucose). The main thing that matters is how well cooked, how moist, and how much surface area is exposed...and that the starch hasn't cooled and partially retrograded. I'm pretty sure 'puffing', like in rice cakes and puffed cereal, the starch is mostly rapidly digestible hence the very high glycemic index

Eating rice cakes/crackers

OP
L

Logan-

How I will cook rice pasta:

Boil in a lot of water (for arsenic reduction) with added salt for 40 minutes. Discard water. Then put the pasta on a frying pan, add liberal amounts of deodorised coconut oil. Stir. Done.

Salt can be added when it’s in the pan, instead of when boiling.

Inaut

How I will cook rice pasta:

Boil in a lot of water (for arsenic reduction) with added salt for 40 minutes. Discard water. Then put the pasta on a frying pan, add liberal amounts of deodorised coconut oil. Stir. Done.

Salt can be added when it’s in the pan, instead of when boiling.
Let me know how that goes. I’d imagine the vermicelli would fall apart after 40min of boiling

OP
L

Logan-

Not rice, but a very interesting gluten-free recipe:

For the last couple months a large portion of my diet has consisted of masa cooked in tallow. Dirty cheap and makes me feel great.

I make these but a little bit thinner. I like lightly frying each side for a couple of minutes then sticking it in the oven until it turns a golden color. I use organic white masa harina.

I’m making these tonight!

revenant

I find rice noodles to be more easily digestible than many other starches. I eat them quite often.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
OP
L

Logan-

I find rice noodles to be more easily digestible than many other starches. I eat them quite often.
Thanks for sharing. While I have never experienced digestive issues with it, I experienced metabolic problems with rice noodles in the past. Since it is a cooked starch, and so easily digestible, within 30 minutes of eating, it would cause a massive insulin spike, causing reactive hypoglycaemia, hence palpitations and extreme fatigue would follow. Have you ever experienced anything resembling this, with rice noodles?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
So, how was it (preparation, cooking, taste, after-effects)?
Really good. They weren’t hard to make at all and even my husband liked them. I froze what we didn’t eat. I like to rotate my carbs.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals