Riboflavin, Oxygen And UV Light As A Treatment For Myopia

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted about riboflavin a few months go in regards to treating another eye condition. This new study found that riboflavin may also be effective as a combination treatment of myopia.

Novel cross-linking application for low myopia shows promise

"...This new application of corneal cross-linking, developed by Avedro, is performed with the epithelium on under topical anesthesia. Isotonic riboflavin is applied every 90 seconds for 10 minutes, and a circular 4-mm central zone of the cornea is irradiated with pulsed energy, 30 mW/cm2 for 16 minutes 40 seconds, resulting in a total ultraviolet A dose of 15 J/cm2. The idea is to use cross-linking to increase the stiffness and stability of the central part of the cornea, making the periphery bulge out slightly and obtaining an overall flattening effect."

"...Behndig discussed the preliminary data of an ongoing study of 39 eyes of 20 volunteers with low-grade myopia ranging between –0.5 D and –2.5 D and astigmatism less than 0.75 D."

"...Oxygen, together with riboflavin and UV light, is known to be one of the key players in the cross-linking process. In this study, a higher oxygen level was related to significantly better results."

TubZy

You are on vacation and still putting out fire studies? :stop::D

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
You are on vacation and still putting out fire studies? :stop::D

Lol, yeah. I guess for me "vacation" means just the store is closed. I have to be active on the forum because if I don't check it for a few days then I find I am inundated with PM's and questions. No rest for the wicked, right?

Aymen

@haidut that's good ..
have you got an idea about strabismus ( exotropia aka squint eye ) ?
if it can be fixed without surgery or not ?

blabla123

Some follow-up on this:
High-dose dietary riboflavin and direct sunlight exposure in the treatment of keratoconus and post-refractive surgery ectasia of the cornea
DOI: 10.15761/ICM.1000160

We report three cases at three separate institutions where patients, either on their own or under the suggestion of their ophthalmologist ingested high doses of dietary riboflavin and were exposed to 15 minutes per day of direct sunlight and noted within 6 months to experience a significant amount of cornea flattening by both topographical and keratometric measurements. No adverse effects were observed or reported in patients taking up to 1500 milligrams of dietary riboflavin per day and spending 15 minutes daily outdoors without sunglasses.

Some follow-up on this:
High-dose dietary riboflavin and direct sunlight exposure in the treatment of keratoconus and post-refractive surgery ectasia of the cornea
DOI: 10.15761/ICM.1000160

We report three cases at three separate institutions where patients, either on their own or under the suggestion of their ophthalmologist ingested high doses of dietary riboflavin and were exposed to 15 minutes per day of direct sunlight and noted within 6 months to experience a significant amount of cornea flattening by both topographical and keratometric measurements. No adverse effects were observed or reported in patients taking up to 1500 milligrams of dietary riboflavin per day and spending 15 minutes daily outdoors without sunglasses.

@LeeLemonoil, i remember that you have interest in keratoconus disorder - the study might interest you.

Mr Joe

Amazing ! One more recent study about that. All studies seem's to use Riboflavin topical on the eyes. Would you think it has to do with some surfacic phenomenon or could oral Ribo have the same effects ? Also some traditional chinese community claim to heal myopia with Tai Chi kind of stuff... Do you think guy's that it has to do with increasing dopamine or something ?