RFI on deep fat frying

BingDing

I haven't gotten this going yet but I'm keen to. My mind got stuck on the deep fat fryers, and all the consumer types seemed to have a lot of negative reviews. Has anyone found one that works well?

If you use the stove top, do you have a basket or just fish things out with a slotted spoon?

I was thinking of using beef tallow because of the high heat. Just like the old McDonald's fries. Does anyone use tallow?

TIA for any advice.

HDD

I use a wok to deep fry with coconut oil. I mostly use it for fries, so I reuse the oil adding a little more each time. I use a fine strainer to clean out the oil. I have a lid from another frying pan that I cover it with. It stays on the back of my stove most of the time. I bought a special wire basket/spoon to fish out the food but I don't like using it. I find a slotted spoon and tongs work best for fries. I did use the basket thing once when I fried shrimp.

Jenn is the pro on fries. I haven't seen a post about her using tallow but you might check out her website.

Where will you get your tallow?

4peatssake

My method is almost identical to HDD's.
Coconut oil in a wok on the stove top. Instead of a lid, I use a wire mesh splatter screen and use a wide slatted spatula to fish out the fries, into a colander and then onto a baking sheet where they are salted generously.

Jenn uses a stock pot I believe and deep fries in coconut oil as well.

I bought a deep fryer but didn't like it and returned to my stove top method.

Like HDD, I reuse the oil and add a little more as needed each time. I start with fresh oil after abut 8-10 uses.

OP
BingDing

BingDing

Thanks, HDD and 4ps, that certainly sounds like a plan. I think I like to make things harder than they really are, so I feel like I accomplished something, LOL.

The farm where I get my milk has lots of other things, including tallow, all of it grass fed and soy free. I'm pretty lucky here.

HDD

Let us know how they turn out if you make them with tallow. I picked up a French fry cutter at Beall's that is a great time saving tool.

Jenn

Tallow is best if its from winter killed (temps less than 40 degrees F for more than 30 days) cows. I use coconut oil as it is easier to come by for me and there's less of a chance of contamination by toxins/drugs fed to the animal.

OP
BingDing

BingDing

Thanks, Jenn. Does the cold weather change the taste or the nutrition? Or something else.

I have a fair amount of confidence in these Amish farmers. I don't trust anyone in the commercial food chain, but if these guys are fibbing me then we are doomed.

Jenn

Yes, cold weather changes the grass and the fat of the animal. Winter killed fat will be whiter than summer killed fat and higher in saturated fat. The yellow of the fat is betacarotene, a PUFA.

I don't believe they would be fibbing you, but you need to ask the right questions. Amish does NOT equal natural....just look at all the HFCS in their foods. Some are and some aren't, just like the rest of us. ;)