Revisting Niacin

GorillaHead

So I want to supplement niacinmide or niacin to help aid with my metabolism, however I am also watching my hair and Id rather not do anything that would hurt this.

My understanding is Nicain realeased pgd2. Which is a bad component for hair. I read anecdotally that niacinmide caused hair to shed for some people. Not sure if that eventually turned into thicker hair for them.

Watching this video explaining the process is what has me concerned.

Anyone have thought on this or info that would show its good for hair and not the opposite?

I know niacin and niacinimide arent the exact same. Id rather take the purest from which induces flush.

Thanks

Queequeg

I found this on hairlosstalk

"Garza and Cotsarelis have demonstrated that not only are PGDS and PGD2 elevated in the scalps of bald men, the levels elevate further in periods of regression. When PGD2 was applied topically to mice, it was found to interact with the GPR-44 receptor (but not PTGDR1 receptor) to inhibit hair growth.[1] A transgenic mouse model lacking expression of enzymes that break down PGD2 in the skin developed alopecia (baldness), follicular miniaturization, and hyperplasia of sebaceous glands - all of which are "hallmarks of human [androgenic alopecia]."[1] The authors concluded that the PGD2-GPR44 pathway was a target for inhibitory drugs designed to slow or even reverse hair-loss.[1]

There are two types of PGD2 receptors, DP1 and DP2 (DP2 is also known as 'GPR44' and 'CRTH2'). Laropiprant (Merck's drug) selectively blocks the DP1 receptor - Cotsarelis showed that the PD2 receptor (and not PD1) is involved in hair growth downregulation. BTW, niacin produces flushing via the PD1 receptor - the PD2 receptor is not involved in the flushing at all.

Setipiprant by Actelion blocks the right PGD2 receptor implicated in male pattern baldness (PD2). Right now, setipiprant is in phase 2/3 testing.

Niacin flushes PGD2 through the receptor that have nothing to do with hair loss, Niacin flush doesn't make make you lose hair, in fact it makes PGD2 less available to be used with the receptor that damages the hair. And knowing that lowering PGD2 it more important that raising PGE and PGf2a, i would say Niacin is a must for anyone wanting to keep hair, based on all the information now available."

anyone have any thoughts? Ive also read that the increase in PGD2 through Niacin goes away after about a week of use.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

I found this on hairlosstalk

"Garza and Cotsarelis have demonstrated that not only are PGDS and PGD2 elevated in the scalps of bald men, the levels elevate further in periods of regression. When PGD2 was applied topically to mice, it was found to interact with the GPR-44 receptor (but not PTGDR1 receptor) to inhibit hair growth.[1] A transgenic mouse model lacking expression of enzymes that break down PGD2 in the skin developed alopecia (baldness), follicular miniaturization, and hyperplasia of sebaceous glands - all of which are "hallmarks of human [androgenic alopecia]."[1] The authors concluded that the PGD2-GPR44 pathway was a target for inhibitory drugs designed to slow or even reverse hair-loss.[1]

There are two types of PGD2 receptors, DP1 and DP2 (DP2 is also known as 'GPR44' and 'CRTH2'). Laropiprant (Merck's drug) selectively blocks the DP1 receptor - Cotsarelis showed that the PD2 receptor (and not PD1) is involved in hair growth downregulation. BTW, niacin produces flushing via the PD1 receptor - the PD2 receptor is not involved in the flushing at all.

Setipiprant by Actelion blocks the right PGD2 receptor implicated in male pattern baldness (PD2). Right now, setipiprant is in phase 2/3 testing.

Niacin flushes PGD2 through the receptor that have nothing to do with hair loss, Niacin flush doesn't make make you lose hair, in fact it makes PGD2 less available to be used with the receptor that damages the hair. And knowing that lowering PGD2 it more important that raising PGE and PGf2a, i would say Niacin is a must for anyone wanting to keep hair, based on all the information now available."

anyone have any thoughts? Ive also read that the increase in PGD2 through Niacin goes away after about a week of use.
Ya i read that too. But i am skeptical about it. I mean the body will continue making more pgd2. So idk

baccheion

How much are you thinking of taking? There's also nicotinamide riboside + pterostiobene.

ddjd

I read anecdotally that niacinmide caused hair to shed for some people.
it stops my hair shedding, but i know my hair only sheds due to high serotonin, so like everything that antagonises serotonin, like niacinamide, always works

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

it stops my hair shedding, but i know my hair only sheds due to high serotonin, so like everything that antagonises serotonin, like niacinamide, always works
Oh well this is good to hear. And u were taking niacin? Or niacinmide? Any advantage for use to feel the flush??

Motif

I took niacin with flush and loved it.
They say it's harmful, but it wasn't for me.

The flush is releasing histamine I think. I have histamine intolerance and my symptoms were so much better everytime i took niacin. Niacinamide never did that for me

Queequeg

Ya i read that too. But i am skeptical about it. I mean the body will continue making more pgd2. So idk
I agree. lot's of theorizing without much data.
I started on high dose niacin for cholesterol about a week ago. Im up to about 1 gram a day and flushing is pretty mild as Im going slow. No shedding to speak of, but it's early. It does give a nice mood/energy boost as a bonus.

Queequeg

double

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

Niacin feels like it increases serotonin. I had a small amount today, after Overmethylating myself, and I feel too happy but in serotonin type of way. I hate this happy feeling, I feel scattered and my cognition is definitely worse.

Guys any idea why I don’t flush anymore. ? Niacin isn’t making me flush no more. I’ve taken up to 3grams

I took 500 mg of niacin once and had a flush so bad I thought I was going to die.

Haha, I gave 500mg to a friend during my bachelor study days as an alternative to dodgy drugs. He turned red, then white, then blue-green over the course of 60 minutes, languishing on my couch amidst a raging party. Predictably, he always chose his drugs over my supplements from then on :D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals