Revisiting Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)

whit

I ocassionaly take a heaping tablespoon of a pretty good quality German MSM.

Outside of the fact that I like the bitter disgusting yet strangely refreshing taste, I don’t ever feel anything. What’s wrong with me?

There's nothing wrong with you.
I like the taste too.;)
Sometimes it's just a case of dose or what's present in metabolism during.
We've found it helps maintain homeostasis.

Mossy

Anyone have any thoughts on me feeling a little irritated and down after a dose of 500mg msm, (including 2000mg C , a molybdenum)?

ddjd

worth bearing in mind that MSM can increase glutathione, which from a peat perspective is not particularly desirable

ShotTrue

Anyone have any thoughts on me feeling a little irritated and down after a dose of 500mg msm, (including 2000mg C , a molybdenum)?
I felt when i take glucosamine, condrotin, msm it's like low progesterone or something. I mentally felt worse and got hot flashes ( was recovering from a low estrogen and low progesterone state and the MSM-etc supplement would take me a step back and cause further irritability and hot flashes.

Mossy

worth bearing in mind that MSM can increase glutathione, which from a peat perspective is not particularly desirable
Interesting—I was not aware of that.

I’d be curious to know if you’re having success with it. If I remember correctly, you are/were taking it.

Last edited:

Mossy

I felt when i take glucosamine, condrotin, msm it's like low progesterone or something. I mentally felt worse and got hot flashes ( was recovering from a low estrogen and low progesterone state and the MSM-etc supplement would take me a step back and cause further irritability and hot flashes.
Ok, so msm, in theory, is anti-estrogen? This is something to consider, based on my symptoms. I would get irritated, but not estrogen irritated—over emotional. If that is an accurate distinction. But, something else to consider is, low-estrogen—for me and others— causes dry joints. Doesn’t MSM combat and help dry joints?

ShotTrue

Ok, so msm, in theory, is anti-estrogen? This is something to consider, based on my symptoms. I would get irritated, but not estrogen irritated—over emotional. If that is an accurate distinction. But, something else to consider is, low-estrogen—for me and others— causes dry joints. Doesn’t MSM combat and help dry joints?
could be low progesterone too. I can't really say, I just know it made my irritability and hot flashes worse

GMT100

I could’ve sworn I heard ray say to try a pinch of petals of sulfur for fighting candida and the drunk feeling even without drinking. If it wasn’t msm then what petals was he referring to ?

zarrin77

MSM is definitely one of the best supplements for all forms of cancer. I could post probably over 15 studies here right now just with that.

In addition, MSM have some very nice pro-metabolic effects. I believe some of these might come from being a sulfur donor (to help make / regenerate things like thiamine, alpha lipoic acid, etc.), as well as by making membranes more flexible and thus facilitate nutrient / oxygen transfer.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...t_obesity-induced_metabolic_disorders_in_mice

Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), an organosulfur compound, is effective against obesity-induced metabolic disorders in mice
(Free full text with link)

71213CFC-58F0-486A-8F3A-CC3799C45699.jpeg

D0710C75-255E-4B16-B8D9-B1992915FF33.jpeg

They did use pretty high dose for this. It is a very safe supplement.

Jarrow MSM powder with OptiMSM (the kind you wanna look for, as this is what the majority of the research uses) is the best for the price on Amazon from what I’ve seen.

zarrin77

I am holding out on MSM until I get a clear picture as to whether high doses of sulfur will affect the bio-available copper in our bodies. So far, no one seems to really know, but when you look it up, it shows sulfur to be an antagonist to copper (similar to zinc/copper or calcium/magnesium, etc.). In other words, if someone is using several grams/day of MSM, are they unwittingly lowering their bio-available copper, or perhaps their ceruloplasmin? I am currently just relying on my diet for sulfur, and will not add more in supplement form until I am convinced it will not imbalance other minerals. If anyone here knows something about this, please post.

In one study in pigs, sulfur supplementation increased the amount of copper and zinc in the muscles of the pigs. So I don’t think you need to worry about this.

zarrin77

Isn't MSM (DMSO2) a cousin to DMSO? I'm wondering if MSM in a skin cream with all the fat-solubles, would help deliver the vitamins deeper into the skin, thus helping with scarring? Or, does MSM work differently than DMSO applied topically?

It’s not *nearly* as good of a solvent as DMSO. It does help a little bit with topical absorption, but isn’t going to deliver things systemically like DMSO does.

zarrin77

https://www.researchgate.net/public...y_effect_of_methylsulfonylmethane_MSM_in_mice

“In this study, we systematically investigated the effect of Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) on anti-inflammatory properties in mice. The mice models used in our experiments are UVB-irradiated hairless mice for skin damage, ovalbumin-immunized mice for inflammatory cutaneous reaction, and mice injected intradermally with histamine for scratching behavior. We examined the MSM's protective effect of against skin damage induced by ultraviolet irradiation in hairless mice. The irradiated hairless mice were exposed to UVB (290-320 nm) four times a week for 3 weeks, eliciting inflammation of the back skin. It was concluded that the application of MSM ointment helped to alleviate the inflammation of the back skin. Next, we examined the effect of MSM administration on the immediate phase reaction or the late phase reaction in ovalbumin-injected mice. MSM administration suppressed the immediate swelling reaction but not the late phase reaction in ovalbumin-injected mice. The intradermal injection of histamine induced both scratching behavior and an increase in vascular permeability in ICR mice. Next, we examined the effect of MSM administration on scratching behavior after the intradermal injection of histamine in ICR mice. It was concluded that MSM administration inhibited significantly the scratching behavior caused by histamine. The mechanism underlying the inhibitory effect of scratching behavior by MSM administration remained unclear. However, at least the action of inhibitory scratching behavior is involved with anti-histamine action.”

zarrin77

Methylsulfonylmethane inhibits NLRP3 inflammasome activation - ScienceDirect

Methylsulfonylmethane inhibits NLRP3 inflammasome activation

Highlights
•MSM inhibited IL-1β secretion from NLRP3 activator-treated macrophages.

•Extracts of MSM-enriched vegetables attenuated IL-1β secretion.

•MSM attenuated the transcriptional expression of IL-1α, IL-1β, IL-6, and NLRP3.

•MSM attenuated production of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species (ROS).
Abstracts
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is an organosulfur compound and the health benefits associated with MSM include inflammation. Although MSM has been shown to have various physiological effects, no study has yet focused on inflammasome activation. The inflammasome is a multiprotein complex that serves as a platform for caspase 1-dependent proteolytic maturation and secretion of interleukin-1β (IL-1β). In this study, we tested the effect of MSM on inflammasome activation using mouse and human macrophages. In our results, MSM significantly attenuated NLRP3 inflammasome activation in lipopolysaccharide-primed macrophages, although it had no effect on NLCR4 or AIM2 inflammasome activation. Extracts of MSM-enriched vegetables presented the same inhibitory effect on NLRP3 inflammasome activation as MSM. MSM also attenuated the transcriptional expression of IL-1α, IL-1β, IL-6, and NLRP3. Taken together, these results show that MSM has anti-inflammatory characteristics, interrupts NLRP3 inflammasome activation, and inhibits pro-cytokine expression. We further confirmed the intracellular mechanism of MSM in relation to NLRP3 inflammasome activation, followed by comparison with that of DMSO. Both chemicals showed a synergic effect on anti-NLRP3 activation and attenuated production of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species (ROS). Thus, MSM is a selective inhibitor of NLRP3 inflammasome activation and can be developed as a supplement to control several metabolic disorders.

NLRP3 activation is involved in many chronic inflammatory disorders.

baccheion

Methylsulfonylmethane inhibits NLRP3 inflammasome activation - ScienceDirect

Methylsulfonylmethane inhibits NLRP3 inflammasome activation

Highlights
•MSM inhibited IL-1β secretion from NLRP3 activator-treated macrophages.

•Extracts of MSM-enriched vegetables attenuated IL-1β secretion.

•MSM attenuated the transcriptional expression of IL-1α, IL-1β, IL-6, and NLRP3.

•MSM attenuated production of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species (ROS).
Abstracts
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is an organosulfur compound and the health benefits associated with MSM include inflammation. Although MSM has been shown to have various physiological effects, no study has yet focused on inflammasome activation. The inflammasome is a multiprotein complex that serves as a platform for caspase 1-dependent proteolytic maturation and secretion of interleukin-1β (IL-1β). In this study, we tested the effect of MSM on inflammasome activation using mouse and human macrophages. In our results, MSM significantly attenuated NLRP3 inflammasome activation in lipopolysaccharide-primed macrophages, although it had no effect on NLCR4 or AIM2 inflammasome activation. Extracts of MSM-enriched vegetables presented the same inhibitory effect on NLRP3 inflammasome activation as MSM. MSM also attenuated the transcriptional expression of IL-1α, IL-1β, IL-6, and NLRP3. Taken together, these results show that MSM has anti-inflammatory characteristics, interrupts NLRP3 inflammasome activation, and inhibits pro-cytokine expression. We further confirmed the intracellular mechanism of MSM in relation to NLRP3 inflammasome activation, followed by comparison with that of DMSO. Both chemicals showed a synergic effect on anti-NLRP3 activation and attenuated production of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species (ROS). Thus, MSM is a selective inhibitor of NLRP3 inflammasome activation and can be developed as a supplement to control several metabolic disorders.

NLRP3 activation is involved in many chronic inflammatory disorders.
Isn't MSM similar to methionine, an "undesired" amino acid? What's your stance on omega-3s and omega-6s? Any testing or experience?

zarrin77

Isn't MSM similar to methionine, an "undesired" amino acid? What's your stance on omega-3s and omega-6s? Any testing or experience?

It is similar to methionene in the sense that it can also act as a methyl donor and is a sulfur compound. However, MSM is not an amino acid, and methionene doesn’t have the lipid peroxidation inhibiting effects that MSM has, nor does it help with oxygen transfer.

For some of my thoughts on omega 3s, see this thread:

What Are Your Thoughts On Omega 3s?

baccheion

It is similar to methionene in the sense that it can also act as a methyl donor and is a sulfur compound. However, MSM is not an amino acid, and methionene doesn’t have the lipid peroxidation inhibiting effects that MSM has, nor does it help with oxygen transfer.

For some of my thoughts on omega 3s, see this thread:

What Are Your Thoughts On Omega 3s?
Hmm.. Maybe the ones/vegans restricting methionine/cysteine are onto something if they replace the absent grams with methionine.

LeeLemonoil

Methionine is an Mtor-activator, that’s where most of it long-term or excess adverse effects come from. MSM isn’t

baccheion

Methionine is an Mtor-activator, that’s where most of it long-term or excess adverse effects come from. MSM isn’t
Does this matter with periods of autophagy/AMPK activation? For example, eating 2 days on + 1 day off? Calories from day 3 would be split between the other 2 days.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals