Revisiting Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)

MarcelZD

For the last few months I've been experimenting with sulfur compounds because I became interested in their ability to aid soft tissue regeneration. My diet and supplementation regimen are otherwise strictly 'Peatarian', so I found it very encouraging to learn that Ray has a favourable view of DMSO.

Since I encoutered some problems with DMSO supplementation I decided to give MSM a shot after coming across the following study which suggests that MSM (DMSO2) is responsible for many therapeutic effects of DMSO:

In summary, the effects of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and its metabolites, dimethyl sulfone (DMSO2) and dimethyl sulfide (DMS), were studied in five selected systems in rats and mice. DMSO enhanced the taurine excretion and the lethality produced by such aromatic hydrocarbons as benzene and chlorobenzene in rats. In mice, DMSO decreased the toxicity such cholinesterase inhibitors as paraoxon and octamethyl pyrophosphoramide. DMSO also lowered the body temperture of rats and reduced the motor activity of mice. Although DMSO2, the major metabolite of DMSO, was not effective in increasing the lethality of solvent hydrocarbons, it seemed to be quite as effective with respect to the other effects. DMS, although quite potent with respect to lowering body temperature and reducing motor activity, was relatively ineffective otherwise.

I tried three different products, the one with the most noticable effects for me being MSM crystals marketed as 'organic sulfur'. While I found the slight surge in energy and some minor improvement in hair and skin quality very positive, the thing that really convinced to me to continue supplementation was that my several years old stretch marks (striae) began to show signs of regneration for the first time, an effect which I have not been able to achieve with diet or other supplements. After 3 months of supplementing the appearance of the stretch marks continues to improve.

Since I couldn't find any information by Ray regarding MSM, I'd like to ask you whether you believe long term MSM supplementation should be considered problematic from a Peatish POV. This is the one question I'd like to ask Peat if I knew how to contact him :D

I've been looking for studies on sulfur compounds and their effects on the thyroid gland and it seems that organosulfurs pretty much don't affect thyroid function at all.

tara

Welcome MarcelZD :welcome
I'd be curious about this question too. I have some MSM, and haven't yet figured out whether to use it.

Miguel

I'd be cautious of MSM. It might be one of those things that works well until your body runs out of some other component it needs in order to be effective (think of like a vitamin or mineral that is the rate-limiting factor for an enzyme). There's a podcast or two from Matt Stone where his naturopathic Dr friend talks about the good and the bad experiences he and others had with MSM.
http://180degreehealth.com/msm-dangerous-miracle-supplement

I'm not sure what the policies are on this forum for posting material that is supposed to be paid for. If I get a chance later on, I can grab the podcasts and share them with you.

burtlancast

I've used MSM for back and joints pain, and it did bring some relief, as was detailed in Stanley Jacobs' book "The miracle of MSM".

There's a long list of ailments that MSM seems to ameliorate to ( but not cure).
In the book, there's an impressive account of spectacular remission from crippling rheumatoid arthritis in James Coburn, who attributes to MSM his return to the movie sets.

SQu

I'm quite intrigued by DMSO. Used to use it on bandages to help healing in horses' injuries. Then it got forgotten. Which might mean anything.( Including that it was too cheap and effective?? As marketing to vets got more effective.)
I thought it might be a way to get vitamins transdermally as it apparently aids absorption but my attempts did not work.working with it gives you garlic breath so yes it is absorbed through the skin.

narouz

Peat briefly discussed MSM in the last KMUD interview.
He said he was "very cautious" about it,
and was reluctant to recommend it.

whit

Peat briefly discussed MSM in the last KMUD interview.
He said he was "very cautious" about it,
and was reluctant to recommend it.
Could you be more specific about which interview Peat discussed MSM please?
I would greatly appreciate it.

We've found it to be quite effective for soft tissue repair and allergies when its pure and kept in balance with
Vit. C and Molybdenum. Easier said than done.
That said there is a good source we've used if anyone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

so I found it very encouraging to learn that Ray has a favourable view of DMSO.
I know this is an old post, but I haven't found any such favourable view from Peat yet.

whit

My understanding of MSM doesn't come from Peat. Thats what peaked my interest here to see what others had experiened. Because it reacts with everything, the key is purity. Alot of places claim purity but they run it through the same hopper all there bulk goods go through. I don't need to tell anyone here what companies do with capsules and additives. Since the flavor is bitter most prefer capsules. By the time its in its package it's been nutralized.
Peat does seem wary of it so deeper investigation is needed before we sign on to everyday use.

tomisonbottom

For the last few months I've been experimenting with sulfur compounds because I became interested in their ability to aid soft tissue regeneration. My diet and supplementation regimen are otherwise strictly 'Peatarian', so I found it very encouraging to learn that Ray has a favourable view of DMSO.

Since I encoutered some problems with DMSO supplementation I decided to give MSM a shot after coming across the following study which suggests that MSM (DMSO2) is responsible for many therapeutic effects of DMSO:

I tried three different products, the one with the most noticable effects for me being MSM crystals marketed as 'organic sulfur'. While I found the slight surge in energy and some minor improvement in hair and skin quality very positive, the thing that really convinced to me to continue supplementation was that my several years old stretch marks (striae) began to show signs of regneration for the first time, an effect which I have not been able to achieve with diet or other supplements. After 3 months of supplementing the appearance of the stretch marks continues to improve.

Since I couldn't find any information by Ray regarding MSM, I'd like to ask you whether you believe long term MSM supplementation should be considered problematic from a Peatish POV. This is the one question I'd like to ask Peat if I knew how to contact him :D

I've been looking for studies on sulfur compounds and their effects on the thyroid gland and it seems that organosulfurs pretty much don't affect thyroid function at all.

Are you still using this? Any more good results with the stretch marks?

Entropy

I also heard the crystal form of MSM was more beneficial because of a less refining process compared to the generic MSM powders that may also be sourced as a waste product of petroleum.

whit

I also heard the crystal form of MSM was more beneficial because of a less refining process compared to the generic MSM powders that may also be sourced as a waste product of petroleum.

There's only one source I trust for MSM. But if you want to test it yourself you can.

whit

No, they all use a common packaging system that nutralizes sulfur. It used to be the best but results don't lie.
[email protected] is the only one we trust. It's ordered direct through e-mail or phone. They test each batch for purity.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals